NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

lots of change long post sorry

NewGreyMom

Hello folks,

Long time no type. Things had been going fine with Brodie-"o". Happy bird...some annoying noises now and then but nothing we couldn't handle.

Then on Dec. 15 my brother had a massive heart attack and is in ICU he's 41. He's never regained consciousness since he collapsed. His heart is now fine, his wife wants to keep him going a while longer. (OK).

On Dec. 17 we were blessed with our first grandchild.

Fast forward to Jan. 10 sweet Madisyn died 3 weeks and 3 days old. Probably SIDS. I didn't get to hold her they live in Wyoming and us in PA.

Only giving this background to let you all understand the level of day to day stress we have been facing for more than a month.

And so any way what bird wouldn't be cranky. I understand about birds feeling our emotions and all that. Brodie-"o" is also molting.

OK so here's what happened, he'd been making sort of a game of "getting away" from me trying to get him to step up off the cage top. There are sometimes when he "needs" to be put in the cage on command.

A week to 10 days ago he was on top of his cage and it was time for him to go in for the night.

I asked him to step up ----> he evaded me

I pursued him -----> he evaded me again

I pursued him more -----> he bit me

I pursued him more -----> he bit me again

This went on for a while because after he bit me I couldn't let him think I was afraid and would leave him alone if he bit me.

I ended up getting the kitchen stool and finally got him to step up.....anyway I probably really screwed this all up.

After I got him down we went to the dining room table and practiced step up, step down several times.

I decided to make step up positive so wanted to use it to get him out of his cage. I taught him to wait on his perch while I open the cage then I ask him to step up. Except he doesn't step up most of the time. he evades me, bites me, gurges for me. I've tried this approach every day since the whole top of the cage thing happened and he's only been out of his cage 3 or 4 times.

So to the question, if we just ditch the training right now and just let him out of the cage like we used to is he going to think that all he needs to do is be resistant and he'll get his way? Or do we stick to the training. Another question is if someone else lets him out of the cage would it be better than if I did?

My thing is he needs to step up when asked, sometimes urgently so (like if he would be close to getting harmed in some way.)

Basically his old owners let him be out of his cage 24/7 and they didn't pay much attention to him as he was in their basement.

So anyway what do we do now? Sort of at our wits end and not knowing how to handle this to make the best things happen for Brodie-"o".

Thanks all

Lisa, Mollie and Brodie-"o"

I will leave the advice of Brodie to the more experienced people on the site since I have only had mine for a couple months, I do sternly tell him to step up if he tries not to and for us it works, but I just wanted to tell you I am so sorry to hear about your losses my prayers go out to you and your family.

I am sorry you have had such a horrible time. My thoughts and preyers go out to you and your family.

I let Charlie come out of the cage on his own,he does step up out side the cage when asked but is very reluctant to step up from in side the cage.If charlie is on the very top of his cage play stand I use a stick or a small kitchen stool to retrieve him. I think the extra height gives me the advantage over him.

I am so sorry to hear of all the tragedy that has fallen upon your family.

Your grey, at 6 years old, kept in a basement with free reign of the area, with no guidance or interaction based upon rules, expectations and how to get along with the entire family flock is going to take a lot of work to bring him to a level of cooperation suitable to you.

It is going to take a lot of time and many practices like you just went through with him.

One thing on the not stepping up in the cage to be let out. Your Grey could be very territorial of his cage and does not like your in it at all. Thats ok though, let him climb out on his own. :-)

Sometimes my Grey will not step up either. I just respect that most the time and let him come out on his own power.

One thing I do though, is sometimes, just to keep him in the stepping up mode. Is I will offer my hand at a distance while saying step up. if he does not position himself properly and raise his foot. I remove m hand, close the door and walk away for a while. He will normally start climbing all over his cage, whistling at me etc. and then when I go back and give the step up, he raises that foot like a pro and comes out with out an incident.

Unfortunately, it's not an easy task, but is well worth the rewards once you have him under more control. :-)

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and guidance.

I did just let him out today, he acted grateful and he asked to step up on my hand almost instantly.... I did not ask him. <sigh> sometimes I'd just love to know what he's thinking.

Mollie's son 24 (Brodie-"o" adores him) is trying to get him to say "Birrrrrds iiiiin Spaaaaace" like "pigs in space" so far he has the Spaaaaace part down pat. What a character.

Thanks all again!!

Lisa, Mollie & Brodie-"o" ......:>