NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Screeching

oozie

Hi,

My husband and myself just do not know what to do about Bill. We have had him close to two years now. He screeches for most of the day hours. Up in the morning talking nicely, but around 1:00 daily he start screeching for the next few hours. He is in the room with us all day. He started doing this when we moved in October. He seems very happy in the environment.

If anyone has any suggestions we would surely appreciate them.

Thanks

Post edited by: oozie, at: 2009/01/18 01:59<br><br>Post edited by: oozie, at: 2009/01/18 02:14

Hello Oozie and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Bill.

If the screeching started when you moved in October then it has to be connected in some way to the move or where he is now that you have moved. Something is either bothering him or causing him to react this way.

What do you do when he starts screeching? Do you ignore it or tell him to stop or do something that he is interpreting as encouragement to continue doing it?

He may be getting some kind of reaction out of you when he does this and that only makes him do it all the more, if you want him to stop this you are going to have to ignore it and that may take time.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads and do ask questions if you have any and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have some pictures of Bill you would like to share with us we would love to see him.

Thank you for welcoming us and for the advice.

We have Bill by the window thinking he might like it there.

He is so funny. He actually whispers in the morning. Talks a lot but in a whisper. Then he will let go in a couple hours to his screeching mode.

Thanks again.

Some greys like it beside or in front of a window and some don't, they may see other birds outside or things they perceive as threats and that may be why Bill is screeching, he may think he is in some danger. Are there any other indications that his screeeching may be fear related?

I have a sun conure that does not like being too near a window for every thing that moves outside especially up in the sky she reacts in fear, she sees it as a threat to her life.

Bill seems to love it by the window. I think he just wants more attention. He is in the living room with us all day. We are going to try ignoring him like was suggested.

Oh by the way, Bill took his first shower in the tub today. He liked it. Wasn't freaked out at all. Will get a picture next time.

Bill seems to love it by the window. I think he just wants more attention. He is in the living room with us all day. We are going to try ignoring him like was suggested.

Oh by the way, Bill took his first shower in the tub today. He liked it. Wasn't freaked out at all. Will get a picture next time.

Hi! My grey "Lani" is afraid in front of the window. I think it is probably due to a hawk that lives in the neighborhood. She's also nervous when she sees crows fly by. I moved her cage so that it is next to the window (and not in front of it) so I think not feeling vulnerable to the big scary birds outside made a big difference. She can see outside, but at the same time can "hide" if she feels the need to.She never screeched, but did do alot of growling at the time. Hope this helps!

Did you have him by the window in your other house? Have you tried moving him away just in case that's a trigger? You can always move him back if the screaming doesn't slow down by moving him away.

That's great he liked his shower. That's our big trick if we're going to have company. All the birds get a shower around the middle of the day. Then they are dry a few hours later and are in major "preen" mode when company is here, which means they are quieter than normal! We just are careful that we don't shower them too late so they're not totally dry by bedtime.

Lisa