NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Any Goffins owners out there

pugwash

Ok its possible I will be in for some real "stick" after posting my latest news

I have just taken on a Twelve year old Goffins Cockatoo who is now living amongst us and my 19 week old grey

The transition has gone pretty well, he needs major changes to his diet, his previous owner, although very caring and loving fed him chocolate and allowed him to drink coffee. His diet has been pretty "dire"

He started feather shredding at the age of two following a chest injury

Right now he is missing most his tail feathers and flights but hes showing vast improvement after daily misting with aloe and the introduction of Bach flower remedy.

Blood tests from the vet showed no abnormalities

Hes such a darling little character and we just wanted to introduce him to the forum

Hes a stubborn little devil and has been allowed to get away with doing as he pleases, we put him on "time out!" when he has been misbehaving this is working well, theres now no biting or cheekiness

I would love to hear from any Goffins owners out there

Or any advice as to how to get him eating his veggies ;)

Wow Hayley, I had no idea you were planning on getting another bird, or maybe you didnt;)

Sometimes these things just happen and are meant to be.

Its great you have rehomed this bird and given him a second chance at life.

I am only a grey lady as you know, so cant offer first hand experience with the goffins, but I would let the little guy settle in first before changing anything too drastic. I am sure the diet will come in time by offering the veggies etc on a daily basis. Watching Elvis will help Im sure as well.

You are going to have to give me a ring soon so we can get all these pictures up, everyone is dying to see them.

Caroline.

Oh Thank God I must admit I was getting the shakes from not getting my dose of the forum and not being able to catch up with you all was torture..

I just thought that you all might think I was completely crazy and kept it under wraps until I made a decision

I came across an ad in preloved which is an advertising site here in the UK

I was looking out for new conservatory windows but being inquisitive as I am..ok nosy then!! lol

Looked through the birds section and there was an ad placed for a new home for this neurotic cockatoo

Actually hes not all that neurotic at all he just needs some guidance lol

He is twelve years old. I am so glad we got him as hes a real all rounder and likes everybody, my grey prefers me and having George has really brought Elvis out of his shell

In fact Elvis has started to interact a lot more and IM so proud of him and how he has accepted the changes

Thank you both for the kind words and I really must get these pics on Caroline. Thank you all and I will keep you posted ;)

Goffins are high energy, agile, and a decent

companion cockatoo. They're much smaller in size than many of the cockatoos but just like the larger species, a very large cage with toys must be provided. Out of cage time each day is mandatory and extremely important for all cockatoos or else there's gonna be problems. In general, they're pretty playful under the right circumstances. In general, tends to be loving, but they do have their moments. They're also somewhat independent at timess.

Without a doubt, they need a playstand. A TOO should be kept out of the cage as much as possible.

I guess you know that a grey can be on it's own and are quite happy when not dealing with people. Well, a TOO is just the opposite. They're extremely clingy and less destructive to themselves. In a cage, they don't amuse themselves like greys and plucking is a common habit. One downside to owning a TOO is the high pitched screeching that goes on at times. Even if he wasn't a screecher before, the bird has to live with you before judging.

They eat many varieties of food and in general aren't picky eaters. Some meat and chicken is apparently needed in their diet as they relish a steak or chicken wing.

Most im[portant--lots of out of the cage time and plenty of physical contact. A TOO will stay on your shoulder all day long and eventually, you'll forget it's there. This is all I can think of.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/01/15 23:25

Thanks Dave for the advice

He seems pretty quiet at the moment but has his moments..Think he is just testing the waters and we could be in for some full on screeching moments.

Guess we just have to be prepared:laugh:

Luckily we had an enormous cage that was used for the Green wing macaw that we fostered ..In between homes and its full to brimming with shredding toys.. Not that he has been in it much I have to say

he absolutely adores my Son and bunny hops on to him when he comes home from school, if ignored he taps him gently and strokes his hair with his feet its very endearing.

Of course he is being supervised at all times..Ive seen what he does to a walnut lol!!!!:laugh:

My grey used to eat chicken too and I was always amazed at how he could hold up a chicken leg virtually same size as himself lol

Well, it sounds very much like the ones I described. His feathers may improve in a new home as long as there's plenty of interaction between owner and bird

The 3 biggest reasons that TOOs wind up with the short end of the stick...

1---their noise

2---their clinginess

3---their plucking

On the average, TOOs are usually the majority of species that are in shelters/rescue centers.

Seems the little fella had been plucking since he was two years old, all started after an op on his chest his owners took him in for the op after he almost got himself crushed to death

He has a bare patch on his chest and his op scar is visible, I think he might get itchy there at times

Also his very first owners had not noticed anything was wrong until he started plucking at his chest.

Then the vet confirmed the severity of the injury

The tail feathers came out a while back when the last owner moved house.

I think she treated him like a piece of china because of his past and spoiled him rotten..she suggested that he didnt like misting or bathing and so she didnt do it at all

I misted him alongside my grey and he was in his element and he seems to preen much less as a result at the moment.

If I can help him in anyway I will, on a scale of things hes not looking too bad, could be a lot worse thats for sure>

If I cant stop the shredding George will be George and we just got to make the most of it, just as he does

But it would be lovely to see him at a stage where hes the proud owner of a whole new set of wings or at the very least one new tail feather lol

Thanks again and have a great eve

:)

Thank you

Just making sure that Elvis keeps his status as the Alpha parrot, he really has tolerated Georges arrival with grace lol

Must say he is really inquisitive and any opportunity to get into Georges feed bowls have been relished:laugh:

The nicest thing is that Elvis looks to me

before he makes his move

Crafty little devil has also started to imatate Georges noises lol..earns him a nut everytime

I would love to have a cockatoo but I know they are too much for me. There is one at the pet store that I cannot hold any longer because if I do I will end of taking her home. They are such adorable birds.

I am looking at a 7 year old Orange Winged Amazon this Saturday. Whisper needs a buddy and I have a the room and heart for another bird. Good luck with George. He sounds like a lot of fun.