NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Scared of new perch/toy

nhrh

I was very happy to buy my grey 3 new additions to his cage. I bought him a perch with a twisting colorful shapes end,a bendable perch, and an acrylic toy with a bell which i can hang in the cage. After assembling everything i placed him in the cage and he was desperate to get out. at first i thought that it was because i was out for a long time and he didnt wanna go back in there and be alone so he stayed with me but when it was bedtime i put him back in the cage and again he refused and thats when i realized that he could be scared or maybe just disliking the new perch because it was the largest and most apparent.

After removing it he was back to normal and went inside his cage for a good night sleep.

How can i introduce it in the cage without scaring him?

Thanks,

Noor 13012009661m.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: nhrh, at: 2009/01/12 22:29

13012009661m.jpg

Alright so i would like to thank you for the tips and advice because now he has accepted it and its in his cage and he's loving it :D

I let him play around it for two days and then yesterday i tried putting it in the cage and he went to it :)

Cant wait to buy him a new bigger cage. The shop brought in some new cages and am gonna go look at them, where i live there isnt many options for cages or parrot supplies, and if i order i would pay double the price in shipping costs (for a cage). For the time being he stays in this cage shown below. He is enjoying the afternoon on the balcony<br><br>Post edited by: nhrh, at: 2009/01/16 00:00

18122008638s.jpg

He'll enjoy having a bigger cage, but you'll probably have to introduce it slowly to him like you did the new perch. Let him see it being put together but from a safe distance, moving it closer and closer over a period of days (his behaviour will tell you if you're going too quickly for him) With Dorian, I used a long perch that he was used to and attached it as a bridge between the two cages and let him decide when he was going to go into the new cage. Of course, letting him see me put his favourite treat in the food dish of the new cage helped move things along!

Meanwhile, here I sit in the dark days of a cold Ontario winter, so I'm totally jealous of the blue sky and sun I see in your picture. Have fun shopping for your fidB)

Thanx Acapella!

Well yes the weather in Dubai surely is nice and sunny compared to other parts of the world but for us who go through a 50C summer 19C is quite cold hehehe

You are welcome to enjoy a sunny winter in Dubai :)

Cheers,

Noor

Noor,

Would you like to share some of that warm weather with me as well?

So pleased you have managed to introduce the new toy, this is great news. Some greys have no problems at all with new items, others you have to introduce them very slowly and let them get used to them:)

Send some of that warm weather my way as well, we are having a frigid spell here right now and that warmth would feel real good about now.

That cage does look a little small for a grey, he would appreciate a bigger cage so he would have more room to stretch his wings and flap without hitting the sides but introduce it slowly so it does not frighten him.

Like everyone else has said, the cage is way too small. That size is ment for conures and similar sized birds, greys need at least in the ballpark of 30 inches wide (give or take a few). My Congo grey is one of the smallest you can get and she is in a 36" cage. From what I have heard Dubai isn't "parrot central" so I imagine finding the right cage can be hard, so I can see why you did have to get the cage he is in now, but be sure to track down a better cage for him in the near future...online is a great place to look, like ebay, that's where I got Elmo's cage.

This is Elmo on her cage...

028.jpg

Also, I noticed your grey is in full sun. When your grey is enjoying the sun the cage needs to be half in the sun and half out because they can over heat very fast.

I have found with Elmo that when I wrap a new toy and let her unwrap it she isn't really scared of it...I guess because she started playing with it before she ever saw it.:laugh: You could try doing that with her next toys.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2009/01/17 18:45

my cage 36 x 30 I believe that is right it is very large I got it on Ebay and only paid $169.00 dollars for it, my breeder said it was quite a deal, I know I saw some for 4 & 5 hundred dollars it is a very well built cage. I was a little nervous getting it on e bay but am completely satisfied, I think it was from RARCages online store that may be a place to start.

The problem I see that nhrh stated, is it's not the cost of the Cage, it's the shipping to get it to Dubai. The shipping would be more than the cage.

It seems nhrh is aware that the only cage that was available at the time of purchasing her Grey, was what you see., It is a whole nether world in the middle east. Things are not plentiful at all and hard to find.

If so hope some large cages have come into the pet shop for you. :-)

Thank you everyone for your very thoughtful and helpful replies.

I did eventually find two cages which are quite big and the price is good- the same range that i found online. Dan you are right shipping it means they r gonna calculate the weight and the distance which would cost me a fortune wether i buy it from US or UK. I still didnt decide on which one i would get one is a bit oval and the other is just like Bmustee's cage but with a play top. And by the way Bmustee i love the idea about wrapping the new toy!

Just one more quick question i know i jumped from him bieng scared of a new toy to a new subject of buying him a cage :blush: but stainless steel or coated cage?

Thanks a lot

Regards,

Noor

I think it's personal choice. Which do you like better and can afford. Don't sacrifice space in a cage for the material though. Get the largest cage you have space for and then decide if you want to go powdercoated or stainless.

The stainless steel supposedly last pretty much forever so in the long run may be a good buy.

You can buy a LOT of toys for the difference in cost, but I personally LOVE the look of SS. If I ever go back to wire cages, I will probably try to save for the SS.

Happy cage hunting!

These "furniture" cages are very pretty but they don't offer the climbing opportunities that regular cages with all over bars have, they have solid front and back and only bars on the two sides so if the bird has to spend part of their day in one of those you would have to provide some other means of activity inducing items.

• 3 weeks later...