NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pet Sitting

Nikki

Have another question. I recently found out that a local bird/fish store will keep birds in the back room if you need a bird sitter. I'm not crazy about someone coming in the house so if I wanted to leave them behind for a few days this could be an option. We usually take them but I know sooner or later we'll need a sitter. The vets charge $20+ a day & no one takes them out of the cage. This shop charges $6 & will sometimes play with your bird if they are friendly. It's just a back room with maybe 20 cages, no window, you can bring in your own cage if you'd like. I am wondering if this is safe or to risky. Have any of you used a vet or shop before?

My personal preference would be to have a friend look after my fids. If you don't want anyone in your house, maybe there is someone you trust that will allow your bird and cage in their house?

If neither of the options above are viable, then I would leave mine with the vet. I've not used their services, but I've inquired about them and unlike many pet stores, they require that all visiting pets have proof of a recent examination, in which they were deemed healthy. The big fear any time you bring your fids around other birds is transmission of deadly disease, many of which are airborne.

The other reason I would recommend the vet over a pet store is that the vet knows how to handle an emergency, should anything go wrong. Look at it this way. If you were to suffer a critical injury, where else would you want to be than the hospital?<br><br>Post edited by: Kaedyn, at: 2009/01/11 22:23

Im going away for a week in august and booked my grey into the vets surgery.They got cds to play to them and teles to watch and they interact with them so im hoping this is ok .I got no family at all down near me so its the only option I have got unfortunately.But he was seen by this vet last week and Im really impressed by him ,he is president of the parrot society uk .

I would choose the vets over a pet shop. The vet environment is more controled with regards to disease transmision and emergency.

The ideal would be someone who knows the bird and you to live in while you are away. If this is not an option the vets is next best.