NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

why do birds fly in to walls?

Lex

If your bird is learning to fly then some crash landings and uncontrolled flight into things is normal. Flight is a learned skill and it takes most birds months of regular flying if not longer of to really get it down. They have to develop motor skills, muscle, balance etc etc. The time depends a lot on the age at which they learn as well (eg during the normal fledging stage or after). Bottom line, once the are flight proficient they are very graceful and flying into things, crash landings becomes very rare. Fight proficient means they can hover, bank, fly up, fly down and land exactly where they intend to.

I totally agree with the breeder but if you decided to go the other way, you would have to wait until your bird has muscle strength, wing strength, coordination and most importantly, he must know how to fly in order to handle the fact that he won't be flying as well after being clipped. That all happens in about 6 to 8 mts depending upon how much exercise he gets now.

PS---I just noticed that you said *a wing clipped*. Wings are clipped on both sides. Clipping of one wing went out the window many years ago. Very dangerous to a bird<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/01/10 23:45

I hate the idea because I love to see my birds fly around the house. HOWEVER, I do have them clipped (equally on both wings, like Dave mentioned) in the summertime. A lighter clip that allows them to not crash land. The reason I have them clipped is because I have kids that are 10 and 7 and in the summertime they are in and out of the sliding glass doors all day long and I can't bear the thought of them flying out and away if the kids leave one open accidentally (or for too long). I do tend to let them grow their wings in more in the wintertime, and they do get into pretty good flight-mode before I get around to getting them clipped...usually just in the springtime.

So, it's a very personal choice and for me it is all about their safety. In some houses, particularly if you don't have kids around who leave doors open, there is much less risk than in mine. As the kids get older, this may change.

As for the question of them flying into walls...my female ekkie came to me not having flown in years (though she learned before her first clip, which is of utmost importance). It was only a matter of a couple of weeks when her flight feathers came in the first time that she was able to fly from her cage in our front room through the dining room, family room, our bedroom, the walk-thru closet and into the master bathroom to start pounding on the shower door with her beak one morning. So they become very agile fliers pretty quickly with practice.

Good luck!

Lisa

P.S. My birds adapt to being flighted/non-flighted at different times of the year pretty easily. I don't know if that would be the case with every one.

Your post is interesting, Lisa. I had never thought of clipping only during certain seasons. I am currently letting both my birds fledge for the first time (over the winter)- hoping to be able to use the indoor season to let them learn to develop some flight control - and perhaps harness-train Max.

I would love to be able to get a harness on mine so I could bring them outside. They were all adults when I got them and have always politely declined the use of a harness...okay, not so politely.

And again, I'm not sure if all birds would adapt to the whole clipped/not-clipped/clipped/not-clipped cycle. It's just what has been working for us for now. I like the fact that they're still getting some wing exercise periodically through the year though.

Good luck to you. I'm sure your little one will be avoiding the walls soon!

lisa