NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can anyone visually tell gender?

HeatherStrella

http://members.tripod.com/The_African_Queen/sexing_greys.htm

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/appgreys.html

http://www.metzger.nu/sexingofcag.html

Of course, like everyone says and knows, these are not 100% accurate, but they're worth a look anyway. How many of you have CAGs that have been DNA sexed and are true to these guides? According to them, Jack is a girl. But I haven't had him DNA sexed yet.

From all the replies, I see only one way, DNA :-)

Thats the only 99.99% correct answer.

But if you don't really care, use the wives tales ( don't ask me why they're not called men's tales) above and just "Claim It's a ?????" what you want it to be :woohoo:

HeatherStrella wrote:

Hi, when we got Harrison, the breeder was pretty sure he was a male due to his head size and eye shape. Recently, someone signed Harrison's Album guest book and said that he looked female. The next time we take Harrison for his annual vet visit, we're going to do the DNA check...just curious what you guys think...

aaharrison2.jpg

Thanks for any input!!

Heather:)

Hey! I got that ball for Richard! It's supposed to be for cats (that's what the box said, anyway) but I've found a lot of cat toys are also suitable for parrots (s'long's you don't let them both play with it together).

Check his poopoo outlet and see if there are red feathers around it. That seems to be a surefire way to tell that it's a boy. Apparently girl birds find color on male birds fascinating and erotic.

The head size is NOT a good indicator (I've only read the first post, so if someone suggested the head size, it's purely coincidental and not personal). The reason I say this is because the pet store worker told me she was SURE a particular bird was male because of his massive head size, but was tested to be female. THEN in the next sentence, she told me, "It looks like this fella is a girl", referring to Richard's head size. Although it's petite, he tested positively as a boy. So, head size may be an indicator statisticly, but isn't errorproof.

Soon after I got Richard tested, a few red feathers began appearing around his anus. But I don't know if even THAT is errorproof.

I got my parrot tested at http://www.avianbiotech.com . (I tried several times making it into a link, but it doesn't work and I gave up. You'll have to copy and paste it into your own browser address bar...sorry) They'll send you the kit for free, and you can send them a check with the feathers from your parrot's chest. If it doesn't work, they'll retest it for free. You can check the results online in a few days, and then they'll also send you the results in the mail.<br><br>Post edited by: Richardsmommy, at: 2007/07/19 18:56

Guest briansmum

brians tail looks like the male one on that link.. haven't gotten close enough to his wings. he also has a few random red feathers dotted around his "bottom" and he's deffinately a boy the breeder has all his birds DNA sexed before he sells them.

That seems like a simple way to do it, but Jack's chest feathers have been growing back nicely (he had been picking at them) and I'd hate to just pluck a few out now. =P

Maybe I'll do that when they've grown in more perfectly.

I understand completely. I had to pay $10 extra for the pet store worker to pluck Richards. I couldn't bear the thought of him thinking I was purposely trying to hurt him (He would have no way of knowing I was trying to help him...and was I...really?) But, it was better than having his blood tested. Perhaps you can chesk with them to see if you can send loose feathers he lost?

I'm glad I got Richard tested. According to the pics in the links posted, he has girlie eyes (I'll see if I can get a pic and post it) and as mentioned, he has a small head. He also has a gradual dark-to-light coloring on his belly, as opposed to my mother's bird, who has a consistant coloring all the way down. I was surprised to find out Richard was a boy. Now, if he lays an EGG, I'll begin to wonder if the DNA lab wasn't a bit mistaken, after all.

She looks like a female to me. Another way you can tell is how much red feathers are around her vent hole. Females tend to have more red then male, if any red at all. Also, an old breeder who was well known in Ohio, (breeding birds 40 years ago)said (and has been true with my birds) that if you feel the two bones where if it was a female where the egg comes out, if it's closer together and pointy it's a femail-spaced and round it's a male. It is the totally opposite then what you would think being that females incubate. Now, this can all be old wives tales but I was able to sex my grey cheeks like that and it was right on.

Male or female, it doesn't matter the sex of the African Grey to be a great talker.

Jean

Well, I showed your AG to my Huey, which is a confirmed breeding age male AG. If she was a female, his eyes would have gotten bigger and he would have gotten excited (danced, and done other things I know he'd do if he sees a female). He growled, and went to protect Dewey-his girlfriend. So according to Huey, he's a male.

When I first brought home Dewey, a female, he went low on the perch in a breeding posistion and got very excited. I'd go with Huey's opinion over mine! LOL

Jean

My Huey and Dewey are bonded male/female AG congos (not related), both hand raised and very tame, both talk up a storm. They both share a cage together, and don't like to be separated. When we fly back and forth between Maine and the Florida Keys, they both go in one pet carrier, and are very happy.

Jean

Richardsmommy wrote:

Check his poopoo outlet and see if there are red feathers around it. That seems to be a surefire way to tell that it's a boy. Apparently girl birds find color on male birds fascinating and erotic.

Her vent/poop chute has red feathers around it...hmmm..??