NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Breeding Question

Bronxboomer

First off just wanted to say Happy NEW YEar to Everyone!!!! May the new year bring everyone luck and joy.

I plan on breeding Greys now i was told once your start breeding there no longer pets. You can't play with them or touch them anymore. Now my Question is what if you split them up once they have there babies what will happen?? I have 4 big cages with dividers what if i decide to split up my male & Female grey after 2 months when they have the babies and try to play with them again as pets. I'm just tryin to get some info..

my breeder has a few pairs of "breeding" greys that are tame, in fact when they are not breeding she has them out and they are very well trained.

Now i have also heard that breeding greys are not pets, but ihave also personally seen hers that are.

That is the same that I have heard too, that breeder greys are not pets and vice versa and that may be the norm but there are exceptions to every rule and your breeder may have an exception.

I would be interested to hear what Dave has to say to this.

i do not think that hers are the norm as it is pretty widely said that they should not be pets, but i would rather (if I were to breed my two greys) that they be handlable.

Also as I do not feel it is right to take a bird from the wild to keep it locked in a cage, mine are pets. If they do breed in the future as they are paired, then I will address it, but i do not think they will as (well right now they are a year old) but their cage will not have a breeder box.

Well, forget the breeding. Greys have to be at least 5 yrs old and even then, most usually aren't successful until their 3rd or 4th try which usually comes around when they're about 6 yrs old and ONLY IF THEY'VE BEEN BONDED WITH EACH OTHER which has nothing to do with them being close friends right now.. Use the long time period to study up on it, all the expensive items you'll need, the methods that have to be used, the hand feeding you'll need to learn, the special foods that you'll have to use,formula you must learn to make, what things have to be done when emergencies occur, a permanent connection to an avian vet. Breeders need special cages that have to be set up in a certain way, and special types of nestboxes and lighting and extreme privacy.

Very conservative figure..For breeding 1 pr of greys you'll easily need $2500,( not including the pair of breeders) more than likely even more if you don't have access to good price on incubator, brooders and a breeder cage and extra cages you'll need for chicks as they grow older.

Well to be honest u really don’t need all that stuff like special cages or incubators special light. I hand raised my 2 Amazons and they both turn out healthy and great. I used a 10Gal fish tank with blankets and hand feed them and they both grew up fine there both 7 months old now.