NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Screeching 12 year nightmare

msduras

Hello forum(wonderful forum actually) - I have an 12-year-old grey who if she wants attention screeches relentlessly. Ignoring her makes her screech louder - yes she can outscreech us. She has new toys often..we change her cage often, she loves to play with my husband (she calls me bad-corn -yes...I raised her from an egg). She bites me hard.... she speaks occasionally...help...the screeching needs to stop - Should I invest in one of those 99.00 dvds???

No Msduras, save your money for toys. You need to ignore the screeching, yes I said ignore it, no reaction from you at all. You are evidently giving her some sort of attention when she screeches or she wouldn't continue to do it.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us some more about you and your grey.

Like Judy said, you need to ignore and leave the room when he starts to scream. It WILL get worse before it gets better...thats why everyone says they "tried" to ignore it. Once you start your have to follow through too. If you have been ignoring and out of the room for 45 minutes and then you give in or yell back you have just tought the bird to scream for 45 minutes and then some. I cured a screaming sun conure with this method so it does work as long as EVERYONE is firm and leaves the room and gives the bird no attention at all.

I got a big clue to your problem when you said the grey can out screach you. Are you shouting when she screeches. If so you are rewarding the behaviour, this encorages her to do it. You must at all cost ignore the screeming. You have been given good advise and it does work,though it may take a bit of time.

Get an ipod and load it up with your favorite music. When she starts screaming, strap it on and pretend the bird isn't there. This is what I did and it works like a charm. Be persistent. Don't even look at her. Just go about your day like normal. When she's quiet. Lavish affection on her, give her treats or her favorite snack. Make sure her cage is equipped with lots to "do". Greys need different toys than other birds. They like to figure stuff out and solve puzzle. Cater to that intelligence and you'll enjoy your time with her a lot more.