NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Going Away - What to do with Jasper

Guest kraylus

Guest kraylus

Seeking your advice on the following. I have a 6 month African Grey and I will be going away for 2 weeks. I live alone. I have 3 options for caring for him whilst I am gone. Which do you think is the best option for him?

1. Leave him at a pet shop where he will sit in a cage on his own for

2 weeks. (not really an option)

2, Have a friend house sit for me so he can stay at home. Only down side is my friend is not real good with parrots and he works long hours. Upside I can see is that his environment wont change.

3. Give him to a friend who loves parrots for the 2 weeks. This friend is also home alot more than the person in option 2, so I think he will get more attention but will he be ok with the change in environment?

Guest philbob10

I think option 3 is the best for your bird. No reason why he would not be fine with the change of scenery. Don't fall into the trap of believin that african greys are somehow different and more neurotic than other parrots. Your bird will be as neurotic as you make it.

Have a nice trip and bring your bird a pressie back.

Guest Miandruil

I suggest #3. I too was very leary about leaving Cyndr for two weeks. I didn't know what to expect. We boarded him with our avian vet. Different interactions from what he is used to at home with different people that he had only seen on his yearly checkup visits. He did very well and I won't hesitate to take him back there again for an extended stay.

Flatter me, and I may not believe you.

Criticize me, and I may not like you.

Ignore me, and I may not forgive you.

Encourage me, and I will not forget you.