NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

night time tantrums

Guest briansmum

Guest briansmum

night time is a noisey time in our house! I'm trying to make it so that Brians routine means he's back in his cage for about 9pm to settle down ready for bed, unfortunately Brian does not agree that this is a suitable arrangement. he makes his loud squeaky call for a good half an hour, i always make sure he has a tasty treat in his cage when i put him back, make calming noises and reassure him it's ok to go back now and give him a good neck rub, and i've tried leaving the room for a little while but he just seems to really hate going back in his cage. can anyone suggest anything that can make the transition from out of cage play time to in cage quiet time a little.. well... quieter!?

Hey Beccy,

It sounds like you've done just about everything I'd suggest. Is his cage in your living room, or is he in a quieter part of the house? I'm lucky with Casper, as his cage is in the study, and when he's out, I have him through in the lounge. So when he goes back in his cage I give him a treat (I make him go on his sleeping perch for his treat, so he's in the right place), close the blinds, and then cover his cage and turn the lights out. I then don't hear a peep out of him until morning. I think it's more difficult if he's in the living room and knows that there's fun stuff going on that he's not involved in!

Julia

Guest briansmum

hi julia, thank you for your reply.

yes his cage is in the livig room, but i don't cover him up and we still talk to him and he gets titbits if we have supper. he's fine after a while. like now he's stopped squeaking and is having a jolly good preen. i guess i'll just have to be persistant with the routine and eventually he will learn.

Guest briansmum

like i said he's fine after a while he starts playing in his cage and just babbles to us normally. i guess he'd just rather not be in there. i'll be persistant for a while longer and if he still continues maybe i would have to start thinking about adjusting his routine.

I think you're very wise, Beccy. I know animals can't be compared to human beings (but I always do :blush: ) - but, maybe he's just not up to sleeping yet when you have decided that's the right time to cool it. So, to observe and learn to get to know HIS preferences (as much as they are practically possible) is a very wise decision, I think :)

(this is coming from a person that as a child was put to bed waaaayyyy too early for her own biological clock)

Guest briansmum

yes i will keep an eye on him and monitor the routine but at the moment he's behaving a bit like a spoiled child :laugh: i think he just needs to learn that this is quiet time for every body.. including him!

• 1 month later...
Guest Lidia

Joshua only goes back into his cage when I am getting ready to go to bed, usually around 11pm. Once I start doing my routine (switching things off, etc), he starts to make the sound of the light switch being switched off, says "goodnight" a number of times and is quite happy to be put into his cage for the night. Once he's inside, we blow a couple of kisses at each other and I wish him sweet dreams. He responds with "Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite. Night night". As I stand by the light switch he makes the switch sound just as I click it off.

However, once in the cage I have to go to bed because he does not like to be caged if I'm up and about. Once you have a routine properly established he'll be absolutely fine with it.

They actually just like to know what to expect from you, I think. It's then comforting rather than oppressive and they do like routine.

Hi Lidia,

:woohoo: How funny, click...click night-night time.

The ways these Grey master communications amazes me everytime I read a post!!

I have a question now. I read everywhere that they need a minimum of 10 to 12 hours of sleep everyday or they get cranky.

Is this true? Also, it seems that late hours in to the night are ok for them too. It seems to me, that their circadian rhythm is not tied as strongly in captivity to the daylight, as it is in the wild.

Opinions?<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/07/13 13:37

Guest briansmum

they do need a lot of sleep. brian gets about 8 solid hours sleep as that is what i insist on having too. then with his afternoon nap etc he probably gets about 9 or 10 a day in totat, this seems to do him fine.

lidia you bedtime story is lovely. i can't remember posting this thread now :laugh: anyway it's all ok now, he usually takes himself off to bed when he's tired, if not, he doesn't make a fuss when i put him to bed.he doesn't forget what "step up" means when it's bed time though LOL

Guest Lidia

danmcq wrote:

I have a question now. I read everywhere that they need a minimum of 10 to 12 hours of sleep everyday or they get cranky.

They do need a lot of sleep and in the wild spend a great deal of time dozing in trees.

You probably will begin to notice that yours will nap when he is comfortable, or well-fed, or content. He will tuck a foot up into his tummy and grind his beak and close his eyes and fluff up (and look terribly terribly cute).

The fact that they need a lot of sleep is one of the reasons they adjust so well to being on their own for part of the day (once you have them in a routine).

I have known people to have a sleeping room for their birds, so they can have complete peace and quiet, but I don't think this is necessary, as they catnap when and where they feel like it. And they don't like being isolated from where the action is. If they're comfortable, they will nap.

A good night's sleep, undisturbed, is necessary, but everything else you can leave to the bird!<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/13 13:46