NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

healthy weeds for parrots

Mingus

Don't forget Dandelion greens, flowers, buds, nasturtium (any part), chickweed, water cress, and especially purslane. Make sure you clearly identify the plant, and that no pesticide was used (including lawn pesticides). Apart from that, they are extremely healthy for the birds (and for you), and at certain times of the year, very available (usually for free).

Wash watercress well to get rid of water borne pathogens.

I never let my birds get stuck on just one vegetable for very long.

Thanks for bringing this up. I was hoping to feed some of these to my flock this summer. I usually spray and kill my dandelions in my yard but was thinking I may give some to my flock and quit the spraying. Which part of the dandelion do you feed? The flower part? Stems? Leaves?

I also have tulips and lilies that come up yearly and plant impatients in spring. Are any of these safe? I know lilies are deadly to cats and cause liver failure and I wont' feed them even if they are safe.

Do you know what other kinds of flowers that one can plant in the garden that are safe for birds to eat?

Thanks LindaMary, I plant flowers every year so I might as well plant some the flock can benefit from as well.:) I know what petunias and hibiscus are but not familar with nasturtiums yet:S :dry: .

Do they eat the entire flower or just the petals, or are the whole plants ok?

I feed the whole flower for those three. She actually seems to like the nasturtiums best, and I love 'em, too. In addition to having a pretty range of yellows through oranges and reds, they grow well in poor soil (which I have plenty of), require almost no maintenance, and have coin-shaped leaves so according to the feng shui folks they should bring money into the home. B) (Really like that last part...)

Nikki Moustaki's "African Grey Parrots" also lists the following as safe flowers for our buddies:

African Violet

Begonia

Bougainvillea

Christmas Cactus

Dandelion

Dogwood

Gardenia

Kalanchoe

Magnolia

Marigolds

Roses

White Clover

Well no wonder I don't have any money:ohmy: I haven't been planting nasturtiums. :laugh: But I will now and I will hold you to the money thing:lol: :silly: :woohoo:

Thanks for the list. I will use it:) . It is very helpful. Now I am ready to plant but our ground is frozen:( Guess I have to wait awhile:whistle:

Dogwoods are our state's flower but I am sure they wouldn't miss a few when they come in this spring:whistle: thanks for the list Linda:cheer: :cheer:

I will be planting some nasturtiums too if it will bring me some money into the house, thanks for that tip too Linda.

I feed dandelion stem, leaves, flowers, buds... The root has a sticky substance so I avoid it.

Don't know about tulips or lillies. Daylilly flowers are used in chinese soups, but I'm not sure about giving them to parrots. When in doubt I avoid it.

Violets/pansies are also edible (it was in your poem so I thought I'd mention it too).

Grass is also okay, particularly young grass, but watch out for pesticides. Not sure about impatients, but I'd guess they are probably harmless. Still, I stick to tried and true things.