NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

2 months and a half TAG

bebo08

hi folks..

i am seriously considering adopting a second TAG ,,, she is 2 months and a half old ...

she is the cutest little bird i have ever seen ... i think i fell in love with her ...

however are there any specific things i need to know about

first) adding a 2nd bird to the family

second) adopting such a little young bird...

Hiya,

Is the bird fully weaned? Its very young. I have brought two of my greys home which were 12 weeks old but fully weaned.

It is possible to add a second grey but you will have to understand that its possible that the two birds will not like each other.

When I added a second grey it took lots of time and patience but I was lucky, it paid off and the two of them get on great! I now have three greys and the youngest two dont get on at all! They need constant supervision and I would never leave them on their own for a minute.

Have you been to see the new baby?

As Caroline said the bird is very young.If it is fully weaned, fine but I would think it still needs at least 1 feed a day if only for reasurance and comfort. Adding another bird is always a gamble ,they may love each other or not be able to stand each other. If you purchase this baby do so expecting the worse possible outcome that they wont get on. The chances of them sharing a cage is remote.

Thats good the baby is weaned.

I have got to say, adding a second for me was the best thing Ive ever done, even though my younger two have jelousy issues at the moment I wouldnt change a thing!

I hope you do what is right for you, a new addition would be great but i just wanted to let you know it can go either way.

They are all great company for each other, mine each have their own cage but they are in the same room and talk away to each other all day long.

Please let us know what you decide.

Caroline.

well ... i am already considering having them in seperate cages ... becasue keemo is just very aggressive .. and i have that feeling that he will not treat her right ...

however the age is my main concern ... what do you mean by feeding her once a day ,,, you mean by spoon or hand feed her or what?

and is it okay if i fed her early in the morning before i leave to work?

"""""well ... i am already considering having them in seperate cages ... """"

Don't consider it. Just do it. It doesn't matter whether the other one is aggressive or not. Putting 2 greys in one cage can make one or the other aggressive,not only to each other but to you too. It can can affect the personality of either. It can stunt the mental development of each other. It definitey will stop either bird from developing it's own complete personality. It won't allow a bird to customize it's own living quarters. There's other reasons to not do that but the ones above should help you make up your mind.