NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Too Much Yeast in Greys

Talon

I have been trying to research what causes too much yeast in African Greys. So, far, I have found that too much fruit causes too much yeast, and the symptoms of too much yeast are them appearing somewhat listless and possibly sickly. Dies anyone here have any more knowledge of this?

Rikki gets apple pieces almost every morning, sometimes mixed with plums, grapes or banana's. Very little juice, maybe 3 or 4 times a week, and then only about 4-5 sips once a day.

I ask, as Rikki's gram stains came back perfect for bacterial infections, but the vet said she had too much yeast. I was at work and not able to take his call, my daughter did, and that is all the information she got. The course of treatment he wants us to do is the same one I did when Talon had a bacterial infection. (Lacto and organic apple cider vinegar routine for a month)

Also, is the crop at risk for infection as well?

I'd love any input and advice you guys might have.

Thanks,

Penny<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2008/12/31 01:51

That's a lot of fruit you're giving and all that fruit doesn't really provide strong nutrients. Fruit should be given a little at a time and not as a mixture and not every day even though he likes it. It's true that fruit can sometimes cause yeast increase but what is also happening is that the good bacteria in the body is being overtaken by bad bacteria. If it were me, I would greatly ease up on that fruit and substitute yogurt to get good bacteria into the system. Good bacteria maintains a balance which helps to fight off infections. In birds, the digestive system is improved when good bacteria is added. No, the crop can't get affected unless it's a yeast infection which basically is a fungus. Having an elevated yeast level and having a yeast infection are 2 totally different things. One has nothing to do with the other. Crops can get yeast infections and that usually happens when a bird is extremely young--pre weaning age. The food stays in the crop for a long period of time and a yeast infection can set in if conditions are just right. Your bird doesn't have a yeast infection and if your vet feels that his treatment is the best way to go, then do it. Half the battle is won if your bird will actually accept the apple cider vinegar. Most birds don't like it.

PS--If I remember correctly, Lacto consists of dairy items-- milk, cheese, yogurt. So you may want to give a smallpiece of hard cheddar cheese (yellow and has to be hard) once a week.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/12/31 02:27

Thanks Dave for all your advice. I only give apple daily, sometimes I will add one other type of fruit with it. Rikki won't eat anything unless I eat it first. That being said, I HATE yogurt!! :evil:

I am ashamed to admit that I am a HUGE fan of cheese, especially cheddar, and she does get a piece of that at least 3-4 times a week. The lacto routine that my vet likes all bird owners to follow is listed below, but since I moved 1 year ago, I haven't followed it, as it is difficult to keep up on, and Talon was never fond of the apple cider vinegar in the water. I usually would double the recipe and then mix it in with juice.

I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are on this subject, and your recommendations. :huh:

My avian vet highly recommends lacto plus anytime our grey is ill. You put in a tsp. to 1 pint of water and use it as their drinking water for 2 weeks, followed by 1 tsp. to 1 pint of water of organic apple cider vinegar for 2 weeks.

He advises all his avian patients to do this every 3 months, to keep their systems healthy from bacteria.

He will use this method instead of antibiotics as much as possible.

I commend your vet on wanting to go easy concerning the use of drugs. He and I are thinking along the same lines.

You HATE yogurt? too bad! Grow up! This is the real world!!

As far as the fluids he suggests and his method of giving, I agree with him completely. Normally a person leaves water in the cage all day and night which is normal but if you wanna make sure she gets a good dose of that water mixed with those fluids, take the water dish out overnight. Remember that she's sleeping all night so she won't miss it. In the morning give the bowl of water back. A majority of birds will immediately go to the bowl for a drink in the morning if the water is new and cold. That insures that she'll get a healthy gulp of your prepared water. I don't think she's gonna have trouble with any of the items he recommends as long as you make sure that she hasn't had any water overnight. The morning gulp for a bird is the big one. The second biggest is right after a major morning meal.

""Talon was never fond of the apple cider vinegar in the water. I usually would double the recipe and then mix it in with juice.""

What I would do is put the apple cider in the water and then put the juice in the water. That way, the juice isn't concentrated and it also flavors the water a bit.

The cheese--It's good that you like brick cheddar. Cut 1 sq inch x 1/8 in thick. Let her eat as much as she wants. She probably won't finish that whole piece. Feed it once a week. Many greys prefer the sharp or extra sharp.

Concerning an increased yeast level--in her case that's not a serious condition because I guarantee you that if it was, your vet would be giving you a stronger regimen to follow. He's worried about antibiotics and rightly so. I was speaking before about bad bacteria too and my recommendation is about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of yogurt once a week. I'm saying * put some good bacteria in her system* and he's saying that *he doesn't want to kill off good bacteria by using antibiotics* I think he and I are thinking along the same lines. Antibiotics kill off any bacteria that exists in the body be it good, bad and every bacteria in the middle.

You can always call your vet and tell him what I suggested about giving yogurt. Increasing good bacteria in a bird's or human's body can hurt, only help.

A good yogurt to get is a brand called Creme Savers. Thw flavors are Orange, peach, strawberry, raspberry and blueberry. In the fridge, they can last a couple days after opening as long as you put a piece of Cling Wrap or something similar on it that's a tight seal.--in Walmart, they cost .50 each

"""I am ashamed to admit that I am a HUGE fan of cheese"". What's to be ashamed of? Look at it this way, you simply have a more cultured pallette then most of the commoners that surround you.

Rikki is not sick in any way. This just showed up on her well bird check-up. It only says that her yeast level is high. The Lacto is actually Lactobacillus that you put in water and it is a probotic, good bacteria.

Dave, I have done this routine with Talon many times as she came to us with a bacterial infection. They do drink it, especially if you mix a little juice with it for flavoring. ;)

First of all, if your bird got sick the most important thing you have to think about is going to the vet as soon as possible. Doing your own personal diagnosis concerning your bird doesn't benefit any bird especially when items have to be given internally. The bird called Talon that was discussed in this thread had some problems, was taken to the vet by the owwner named Penny. The bird had a complete checkup and some problems came up. The vet then told Penny what to do and recommended that certain things be given to Talon in order to correct the problems which Penny has done. Penny never said that she decided that certain items should be given to her bird every three months. It was the vet's opinion and treatment was given. It was also the vet's opinion that all his patients take a certain formula every three months for their general health. Other vets may think differently which is also the proper thing to do. It's the vet's diagnosis and he/she is the final decision maker. That's somewhat like a person who is told to take a certain vitamin because of a particular problem. That same person may take a multi-vitamin every day and actually contribute to the problem. The MD is the one that makes that decision, not the patient.

Certain over the counter preparations can be helpful to a bird or person but it's the MD or Vet that makes that final decision after being examined professionally.

Taking a preparation that was strictly given to Talon may be harmful to another bird that has a totally different illness or problem.The vet makes the final decision.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/12/31 17:24