NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

foods

wendy75

Hi everybody first timer here, just interested to know what your african greys fav foods are? Bernie my african grey is 10 months old and likes alot of diff things, grapes,pears,orange,cheerios,toast,apples, but his fav has to be freshly baked coconut in the shell,he eats it then plays with the shell.lol hours of fun! baby_bernie.jpg

baby_bernie.jpg

Hi Wendy, and welcome to the site - it's fab isn't it?! Casper likes cous cous with chicken and apricot tagine, sweet potatoes and pasta - but he'd do just about anything for pistachio nuts in their shells. He's a definite nut junkie!

Julia

PS I love the picture!

Guest Monique

For favorites ours loves oranges, and pretty much anything that is not good for you (a chip, cheese curl, piece of popcorn, etc.).

Nikko really likes butternut squash, which is probably the healthiest thing she will eat. She also likes white potatoes cooked in a form, wholewheat bread with a bit of peanut butter on it, oatmeal with soymilk and flax seed in it, cheese, eggs, almonds, pine nuts, and occasionally will eat fish.

I've been working hard on getting her to eat more vegetables. She is at least taking a bite out of each of them, so hopefully she will eventually develop more of a taste for them.

well i tried the sweet potatoes, and yup he loved it! thank you, Bernie will eat a lot of veg but it must be part cooked,dont know why,but he just likes it that way.i still give him pulses,but he rather have veg or fruit.some great ideas on here for me to try him with, thanks everyone ;)

Hi Wendy,

Here's a list of Zoe's foods: apple, banana, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, strawberries, grapes, mango, squash, sweet potatoe, yam, carrot, brocolli, green pepper, egg plant, peas, tomato, eggs (hard boiled or fried), chicken, tuna, salmon, bits of cheese, peanuts (in moderation), almonds, whole wheat pasta (with tomato sauce), vegetable soup.

On occasion I'll also give her a bit of cookie,cake or pizza.

Generally, I've found that the warmer and softer the food, the more she seems to enjoy it. She will, however, enthusiastically eat any of the above except for green peppers.

She is also on a diet of Zupreem pellets.

My trick to getting undesired food (green peppers) into Zoe is to incorporate it into something that she really likes. Sometimes I slice it up into tiny bits and add it to her omelet, other times, I coat it with cooked, soft sweet potato or squash. She will usually just wolf it down when she first starts to eat. As she gets full, however, she will eat only the desired item and spit out the green pepper! The little smarty pants! That always makes me laugh.

:) Wow thats a lot of diff things for me to try him with, i see Bernie and i are going to have fun ;) . Bernie hates bananas,turns his beak up at it,wont even go near dish! he will however eat green pepper, he loves monster munch crisps,but makes a load of nice mess for me to tidy! lol.

Heya all. Ours, Jake, will rip your arm off for a banana. The first grape I gave him, he actually held it with his foot, and scraped the skin clean. Took him like 5 minutes, and was neat to watch. He seems to like all the junk food too, and the stuff in a fruit cup.

Kip is a pretty good eater. Her usual morning offerings include: fresh corn on the cob, broccoli, carrots, fresh green beans, dried figs, grapes, tomato, dried red peppers, collard greens. She goes "nuts" for pine nuts. She also always has a bowl of a dry Goldenobles Bean Supreme available and some Zupreem pellets. She will eat pasta, salmon, chicken and really likes fresh popcorn. Of course anything we are eating she wants a piece of, even if as soon as she gets it she triumphantly tosses it onto the floor/all over the place. :P In the morning she likes to share my cereal and I will give her some of my toast lightly soaked with palm oil. The palm oil is supposed to be really good for them and makes their feathers nice and shiny. In the wild, Africa Congo, they eat palm nuts and get plenty of the palm oil.<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/05/25 08:55