NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My bird stuck on seed!!

Angel_Aponte

You will need to move them off so much seed slowly to where they are only eating around 10 to 20% seed.

You can do this by removing the seed bowl and leaving only the pellets or veggies/fruits in the cage for them to eat.

It will take awhile, but you can accomplish it by slowly giving leas and less seed.

Also, start offering various bean mixes also. They are a great source of protein with out the high fat content.

They eat toher veg. too and they love apples. eggs but not too much on the rice. My female is spending more and more time in the box she only comes out when i changing the food and water but as soon as i go back in side she goes back in the box. i really don't want to check the box to see if she layed anything. I would want to wait about another week or so.

If you feel as though there's an egg in it, it should be left with the hen for about 28 to 30 days because if you immediately take the egg out, she;ll lay another one and the male will have nothing to do with it. She won't try to breed even if there's an egg coming. After 28 days, if nothing is there then you can remove the egg/eggs. Normally, I would say 31 to 33 days but your PM said that the egg she has was laid about 5 days ago.

If you can get through this breeding season without her having chicks, you'll be better off and so will they. Then you'll have quite a long time to study up on breeding birds. You'll have a long time for your birds to get used different foods. You'll have a long time to study their habits. You'll have a long time to see the different changes that go on with the male and the female. The birds will have a long time to get into prime healthy condition.

Right now, you're not familar with incubators, brooders, hand feeding and proper timing of the feeding process, the weaning process etc. Learning all these things takes time and it's impossible to give information about certain things AFTER those certain things have already happened. So focus on getting your birds strong and healthy. You should take the birds to a vet so that he can see how healthy the female is. Just because a female lays eggs doesn't mean that she's necessarily healthy.

Remember that you've only had this pair of birds for approx 5 to 7 wks and the previous owner didn't give you loads of important information concerning that breeding pair.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/12/31 22:03

Well She did lay 3 eggs. I breed african ring necks before but that was it. I took the pair to the vet and he told me that both of them at in good shape. I'm going to give the babies to a friend of mine when they hatch she been doing this for over 5 year and told me that she would be able to handle it. SO after i pull the babies i'm going to take out the box for a few months until i do my homework.