NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

desperate help: new grey & newly detected bed bugs

tiombe

hi all, why is it that newbies to forums always seem so desperate in their inquiries... so i have a new(to me) 4 months old CAG. just today i have discovered that the hoard of bites i have all over is likely due to bed bugs (started just before i got the grey so no finger pointing at him). being in humid israel where everything breeds and returns, i have yet to find a compelling way to rid them from the home except to use a household spray designed for the job. needless to say, my worry is with the grey and the fumes. has anyone else been faced with such a dilemna. if i put her and the cage outside while spraying and open the windows of the infected bedroom with door (to rest of the home) sealed off, would this be sufficient. if so, after how long would it be ok to return him to the living room (a distance of about 30ft from the door to the bedroom). is it seriously too risky, or with proper care can it be done?

Sorry, to hear about all of this. I'm sorry to tell you I have no experience with this, but maybe you could call a vet and get some advice. I would definately put an air cleaner in there, and continually air it out.

I would be very careful about the fumes. I use this rule of thumb, if you can smell it, then definately your grey will. Be careful and ask a vet.

Guest Monique

"hi all, why is it that newbies to forums always seem so desperate in their inquiries... "

It is because that is probably why you found the forum in the first place!! To quell your urgent worry!! :)

Talon gives great advice. If you don't have an air cleaner than simply wait until enough time has passed for the odor to sufficiently subside. If it's warm enough out I'd do it in the morning and then not bring her/him back in until evening. If you have the windows open and run a fan that should get a lot of the fumes out. If any doubt at all, consult a vet. Perhaps you could board him for a day or two if need be.

My suggestion would be this: Find an avian vet that you can board your bird with for a few days. Once he/she is safely out of the home, then you can spray. After you have sprayed I would clean anything that may have spray on it so your bird does not ingest or otherwise come in contact with the poison.

I hope this suggestion helps.

thank you all. I am going to approach it this weekend (it will have to be a strategic and efficient arrangement as Israel has oddly only has a 1.5 day weekend). I will report back to the forum what the result is. having a balcony and being as warm as it is here, i can have Tiombe out on the balcony for the weekend, all the while running the air circulation and all windows open. given how windy it is on the hilltop where i am, air moves completely through the house, and i am nonetheless only spraying in one bedroom.

I think your plan with ensuring the bird is not in the same room you are treating and having plenty of fresh air should be fine. You indicate treating with a spray that you can control where it is applied, not some sort of aeorosol fumigation right? Just make sure the place is aired out completely before bringing your feathered family member back inside! I would leave windows open to ensure plenty of fresh air flow for several days even after treating and as others indicated be sure your bird does not have access to chew on anything you treated! ;)

Hi Tiombe,

I think I did respond to the cage query. See the first response in the string you started! My vote is still to leave the wood natural...that is beyond a doubt the safest approach and in my humble opinion, natural wood can be very beautiful (if its a nice wood). The thing is, most if not all birds end up spending time on top of the cage, climbing the outside etc so I do not think its reasonable to think the bird will not get to the frame, even if its on the outside. The cage is something they consider "home" and you want to be sure it is absolutely safe for them. There are certainly other things in the house that if they ate may be bad, but you want to have those things be few and far between that they could get at. :) Again, the cage is usually a place they will hang out at, both inside it and out...

well said, and thanks for explaining. i appreciate your feedback. given the furniture is all a dark cherry stain, the stark pine is a bit of an eyesore. i can live with it, but i am still curious, even if just for the record, whether there are even child-friendly paints that might have worked and which wouldn't be unsafe for the grey. i concur with you, though, and will err on the side of caution.