NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

2 clip or not 2 clip advice please.

lolamay

hi everyone.

when we first got larry just over a year ago we decided to have his wings cliped before bringing him back to his new home. He has now since had a mass moult and has new wings. The trouble is he is now becoming very confident gaining height and staring to fly from one room to another,he has had a few clumsy moments but on many times he is spot on. I would like to have him cliped as doors are not always left open and he is a nightmare if he is out and cant see anyone. But now he knows how, if i do go ahead would he try to fly thinking he can. and hurt himself. Whats the best for him? :cheer: oh he has just recently said his proper clear first word(alright) were so happy.

regards to all from lola

Hi The decision to clip is purely your choice. I have my tiel clipped for safety reasons but not the grey. If it is a case of safety and security I would go ahead. I dont think the issue of trying to fly after the clip will be a big one.Greys are very smart and Larry will soon figure out he is clipped again. It is purely a matter of your choice. I will say however,make sure he is clipped by a qualified vet as many birds end up with poor clips and have problems relating to them.

Thank you for asking the question. My personal view is that in most cases there is no good reason to clip a parrots wings, although there are birds who may be to insecure to be allowed to fly in a confined space due to extreme nervousness.

Misty was poorly clipped when he came to me at two years old and although he would still attempt to fly he had no control and would often have hard landings.

Fortunately he tended to crash onto carpeted surfaces so he did not hurt himself. Eventually his flights grew back and I encouraged him to relearn flying by launching him a few yards to the to of his cage and he soon got his confidence back. His flying skills have developed to the point that he has very good control.

He can hover and navigate round obstacles as well as make perfect landings. He is learning to fly to me on command. He also knows the places where where he is not supposed to land and he is very good about that most of the time ;) A legacy from my early flight lessons with him is that often when he flies from one place to another he will say "fly baby' or "fly Misty". He flies easily and naturally just as though it is second nature to him which of course it is.I would never clip him now. I take care to make sure that windows have suitable net curtains so he can see them and I am always careful with doors and open windows. As I live on my own that is easy for me. It is much more difficult in households with people coming and going children in particular especially if they are not parrot aware. With your bird as he has become used to flying clipping could have bad consequences psychologically as well risk of injury due to lack of control. It is instinct for a parrot to try to fly out of trouble if it is startled so that could be a problem. He may learn to cope but it could also lead to frustration and the dreaded feather plucking.

Perhaps a moderate clip might work for you as it has for others but you might find good training to be more beneficial.

In the end there is no simple answer that can fit every one. Personally I would say let em fly. After all that is what their whole body design is about.

If you do decide that clipping is your best option do research into how it should best be done. Its a tricky subject and even avian vets will have conflicting ideas.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

{Feel-good-000200BB}

Happy New year

Steve n Misty

lolamay wrote:

Whats the best for him? :cheer:

The best for him would be to remain flighted. A flighted bird is much more coordinated and confidant. They are also much healthier and less likely to develop over weight and cardiovascular problems and end up with a shortened life span.

They were meant to fly and their entire cardiovascular and respiratory system were meant to be given a work out by flight.

Talon was clipped for the first year of her life When her feathers grew out, and she learned how to fly, she transformed into such a happy, content bird. Her personality completely changed as she became so much happier by being able to do what she was intended to do.....fly!!

I have another grey who has never had the opportunity to learn to fly. I am letting her feathers grow, I see the frustration she experiences as she wants to go somewhere, to come to me, but can't...:(

My 7 month old Grey is not clipped and I have no intention to have her wings clipped. She can now fly to safety before hitting the floor from a fall. I had a nightmare when she hit the floor from a fall about 2 months ago. She is more confident now and enjoying her morning and evening flying exercise in the house.:)

You're going to find a lot of different opinions on clipping.

Personally, I had to clip my grey and my tiel for safety reasons. Starbuck hates the little tiel, and the tiel doesn't have the common sense to stay off her cage. So I'm stuck clipping Starbuck so she won't attack Merlin, and Merlin so he won't land on her cage and get a toe bitten off. It's a mess, but to avoid bloodshed I do it.

When we are down to just Starbuck, I will likely let her grow her feathers out again. I just couldn't forgive myself if Merlin got hurt or killed when I could have prevented it.

Long story short -- I think they are happier and healthier flighted, but there are occasionally good reasons to clip. It sounds to me like your bird is fine flighted, as long as you take certain precautions to keep the household dangers down.

BTW -- I do clip my own bird's wings, but I have a lot of practice with this from working at a pet store. If you aren't *totally* comfortable doing it, go to a vet. You can seriously injure a bird if you make a mistake.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am having the same problem as the poster, except with a twist. My roommate has 1 Doberman and 1 rescue Greyhound. The cage is in my bedroom and the play gym is in hte living room. Both dogs have tried to bite Jaco. He is learning to fly after growing a few flight feathers back though he usually lands on the dangerous floor. The dogs can't be locked up a couple hours a day. If I clip his wings will he learn not to fly and stay on his play gym? Otherwise he will have to stay in my bedroom without me all day. Should I try to clip once and if that still doesn't work then the wings will grow back and he can learn to fly again? Guess he may stay in my room 'til I may move out.

Robert

Robert,

Being able to fly out of trouble is the primary defense for parrots.

A clipped bird will try to fly if they are in a threatened situation but it wont be able to fly out of danger. Flying is instinctive for Greys and is hard to unlearn.

If I were you I would not be keeping dogs in a one room apartment.

Steve n Misty

I agree with mistyparrot.

Being unflighted puts him in much more danger and very vulnerable to those dogs. Being Flighted he will have a way to get higher than the dogs.

You know they are agressive towards him, so why risk the death of your much loved grey? Can't the dogs be put in the bedroom for an hour or two when you wish to spend time with our Grey in the living room?

I agree, the dogs should be put in a different room for a few hours, I do this with my cats or put them outside if the weather is fine.

Dont take the risk!

The best place for your grey is to be in a family room if possible not on his own in a bedroom.

Caroline.