NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Selling My Baby

rosie514

Rosie514:

The dollars seem very high to watch your bird and I don't blame you that it is too much in these economic times, but Judy is right. The welfare of the bird is formost. If you will just be worried when gone and you aren't sure about your ex's intentions, you should do what is best for the bird and you so you will both be at peace with the choices.

Is there not someone in your area who has birds who may bird sit for less money or even a future exchange?

Even in Alaska where I live with very few parrots and no vet I manage to find a house/bird sitter. Just wondering if this is an option for you. I didn't realize it cost so much anywhere to have a bird taken care of.

Hi MazyAK and thanks maybe I came out too strong but I was happy for once this month and it was like a bomb. My ex is a bird lover and I trust he will be good to him. When I said "intentions" I meant with me, what did he want from me.

If I knew of a sitter or a person I would but the one I found cost anywhere from 300 to 400 a week now that is too much money for anyone to pay. Not now a days. I don't feel anyone should pay that much. That was my point. Its easy for everyone to say find a friend or someone that has a bird well guys its easier said then done. People do not want the responsibility of some else's pet for that long of a period.

Again thanks

Hello Rosie - I'm glad you found a solution that hopefully will mean you don't have to rehome Howard. I too got concerned when you stated you didn't trust your ex, but now that you qualified it a bit more it sounds like it's not for reasons that would impact the care of Howard.

I, too, have someone come stay at my house if we're out of town for a week or so. We end up paying around $50/day so your range of $300-$400 sounds about right for that service. That said, we have a dog, two lizards, 4 large aquariums (salt and fresh-water) and three parrots, so it's quite a bit of work for someone not used to it. They have to actually stay at our house also, not just stop in a couple times/day (our dog is old and has difficulty getting around). Fortunately, it's only once or twice a year for family vacations for us. Having to do it once or twice a month wouldn't be affordable for us.

Just wanted to provide perspective on the cost of having someone house/pet sit and wish you the very best with your solution. I hope it all works out and that in the end your ex is just doing it because he's a decent human being and is being nice!

Lisa

Thank you Lisa, but I think I'm going pay for it in the long run. I really don't care as long as Howard is taken care of and I have him that's all that really counts.

judygram, I'm deeply sorry. I was just upset and with giving up Howard I think I took it out on you. Again I am very sorry.:P