NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cockatiels

gourdlady247

My son James wants to get a cockatiel, but the question I have is with George still being bity. Would there be a chance that they wouldn't get along. Not that they would be in the same cage but just in the same room. And how would it affect George seeing another bird getting attention by being held and he's not, or would it maybe change Georges mind about biting. I am finally able to touch georges beak through the bars and almost the top of his head but not quite. So I don't want any set backs at all.

I doubt they would get along but I don't see a problem with adding another bird to the household. I have a sun conure and she has a separate cage and she doesn't get along with Josey, my grey but they are company for each other as they are in the same room.

If you do get a cockatiel or any bird be sure to do things for George first so he knows he comes first, that way he knows he is not being replaced but he keeps his status as top bird.

A lot of us have more than one bird and some do not get along with each other but a house is big enough for them to have their own time out and personal time and attention from their owners.

I have two cockatiels in the same room as my grey. They do not get along at all and if one of the cockatiels accidentally flutters onto Shani's cage, she will go on the attack.

One thing i have to warn you about is Shani picked up the male cockatiel vocalisations very quickly and amplified them by x5. So be prepared for some noise :-)

Well James picked his cockatiel yesterday. He named him/her Tiko. He/she is 3 months old. He and the people he got it from thinks it's a female. s/he seems to be fitting in well here at home. He already has her stepping up. He is all excited. Have not introduced her to george but I think they aready are comunicating from long distance.

I had a male cocateil that grew up in the same room as Tyco and that little bird thought he was an African Grey he learned every trick and how to talk from Tyco It was the cutests thing you ever seen watching this little cockateil do everything and say everything that an african Grey could do.