NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice needed - UPDATE

empera

My suspicion was confirmed. Merlin has a calcium deficency. I suggested that in the very beginning, and his dad instead though it was lead posioning from his cage.

After only calling a normal local vet for an opinion, he got a prescription sent to a vet place for calcium drops to mix with water. That was before I took him to the vet.

The vet had to obtain his information from me, instead of my information because I was indeed not the owner. So the results weren't delivered directly to me. Now, his father told me that it was what he thought it was.

Ridiculous.

Anyway, I believe I did the right thing by checking Merlin in and getting blood work, etc done to make sure what was wrong. I'd rather spend time and money making sure what was wrong with a bird I care for, than doing guesswork and having it be too late.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

-----------------------------------------

My boyfriends fifteen year old African Grey named Merlin is currently on a strictly seed diet. A few days ago, he had a seizure in which he fell from his perch in his cage after rapid fluttering of the wings and continuous muscle contractioncs causing his head to be bent in the most frightening way. After 10-15 seconds, the seizure ceased and he would say "Hello!" and wonder why all these big humans were hovering over him.

Two days ago one seizure.

Today he had three.

At first I suggested that he had an extreme case of calcium deficency. So three days ago, we put a cuttlebone in his cage and he went to work on it.

Since I am only someone who visits the house and takes care of these two, I can't just rudely suggest that Merlin must go see an avian vet.

Now he is very tired, and bruised around his eye due to falling to the floor and hitting his head. With the possibilities of a concussion, internal bleeding, I'm quite worried. Actually more than worried, I would be horrified if he got in any worse condition than now.:(

He has little to no appetite, and is acting the most tame I have ever seen him. Only two people could pet him without him being aggressive, and now everyone including myself can pet him. He also has no want for any water. Slowly, my boyfriends mother is trying put some water into his mouth and feeding him some food that isn't seed.

I know that going to an avian vet would be the most reasonable thing to do for Merlin, but I have no say in the care of an animal that isn't my own.:dry:

Also, western Washington was just hit with record amounts of snow, so it might be difficult to get him somewhere.

I would greatly appreciate some advice. Thank you.<br><br>Post edited by: empera, at: 2008/12/20 01:03

This grey should have been taken to an Avian vet Immediatley!

I cant believe the poor thing hasnt been!

The bird has a multiple of issues going on that only an experienced vet can give advice on.

Obviously the seizures, I too would be worried about the injuries that may have been caused and also the lack of appetite and change in personality.

The fact he is not even interested in water is a big worry, dehydration is a serious problem.

Please make sure he gets to a vet, if your boyfriend wont take him for whatever reason could you get him there?

Owning any animal is a big resposibility and their health is part of the package which comes with animal ownership.

I do hope he gets the medical attention he needs.

Caroline.

Just another thought, It might be wise to pad the bottom of the cage to try and stop him injuring himself more, this is normally done with babies when they are clumsy, I normally put a towel on the bottom and cover with newspaper, also dont have the cage overloaded with perches and maybe lower if possible.

Great advice on padding the cage casoer!!

OMG Empera!! You need to get that poor Grey to an Avian vet ASAP!!!

It could indeed be Calcium deficiency due to seizures being the most obvious and worse symptom you will see barring his death.

Only a vet will be able to help him at this point. Adding a mineral block and trying to get him to drink some water is not going to help him much, if at all. The Vet can give a power injection of vitamins and minerals to give him a quick boost and may give him something to stop the seizures as well.

Please keep us updated on him. If you can get your BF on here, please do so if he does not believe your concern for that poor Greys health.

When a seizure occurs, a bird may vocalize, lose consciousness, fall off its perch, flap its wings uncontrollably and stiffen its body. Fortunately, many birds will recover from a seizure and slowly regain their ability to control their movements and perch but that doesn't mean that the bird won't have more seizures.

Some greys have seizures caused by hypocalcemia. This condition is sometimes seen in adult African Grey parrots fed a seed diet. This type of diet is deficient in calcium and vitamin D3. Although it's not clearly understood, it appears as though these birds are unable to mobilize there body calcium stores.

Sometimes seizures occur from something that has to do with an external problem.

As everyone else has said, you have to get to a vet quickly in case there's temporary brain damage or loss of balance.

Because there's a variety of situations that cause seizures only the vet can search for the problem through specific tests. A vet has a variety of treatments available and some may include certain drugs that the bird might need.

It's impossible for us to give out reasons about why it happened because there are so many reasons that can lead to seizures.

All seizuring birds should be provided with good watchful care which includes a warm, quiet, safe environment, fluids, nutritional support, antibiotics (whenever appropriate) and anticonvulsants. Sometimes, Diozepam (valium) is used to temporarily stop the seizures. Any drugs will have to come from a vet check.

As far as the stiffening, bent position of the head, that's normal. They tense different muscles and it usually subsides after the seizure abates. That's also common in people who have Gran Mal and Petit Mal epilepsy. Usually, a person who has a seizure will be very warm and friendly towards other people who are surronding them. It all has to do with confusion. They're weak, confused and have hardly no strength left. Their true personality returns after a few days depending upon the length of the seiozure.

Don't worry about being rude.

Sometimes, a heavy snowfall is less important than the health of any living creature. If you can't get to a vet, make a phone call and ask the vet exactly what you should do until you can make a visit. If all of this has to be done by your b/f explain that his bird may die without treatment if his brain seizes up.

There is no more we can do for you other than the different pieces of advice you've gotten here.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/12/19 20:06

I must correct myself in saying that my boyfriend fully agrees with my views on the condition of Merlin. It is his father that wouldn't take him.

I apologize for that misunderstanding.

Last night I was about to take him out of the small carrier they put him in with a towel and force feed him water and food. Yet they refused that I do so, and decided to stay within sight of me and Merlin to make sure I didn't try it.

I tried to get my boyfriend to stress the importance of his intake of food and water during this time to his mother without his fathers presence, but she said that he had plenty. (A sip of potato soup, a piece of small broccoli, and half a small slice of banana? I don't think so!)

I was furious. :angry: For one, his father is almost equivilent to a normal vet, and he doesn't see the immedient danger Merlin is in! Two, he didn't listen to my advice through my boyfriend, urging him to go to the vet now. But all his father does is try and blame my boyfriend for his illness! Which is entirely not true.

I would have taken him to the vet, but I have no large amount of money to pay for the expensive bills.

I understand that a mineral block and foods will not do it's work in such emergency cases, but it's all I could try and do when they refused for me to take him to a vet.

I heard that they have finally decided to take Merlin into the vet.

This is stressing me out.

"""""" For one, his father is almost equivilent to a normal vet, and he doesn't see the immedient danger Merlin is in! Two, he didn't listen to my advice through my boyfriend, urging him to go to the vet now. But all his father does is try and blame my boyfriend for his illness! Which is entirely not true.""""""

Please understand this---as many people here will tell you, a person who is a licensed regular vet or a person who is almost a licensed regular vet isn't the same thing as an avian vet. Many people here can tell you about terrible things that have happened to their birds when they went to a regular vet. Most of the time, these people didn't know about avian vets yet. Regular vets don't deal with birds and in your case it's obvious that the father knows even less by what he suggested not to do. Have little money?? Many vets set up a payment plan according the amount of funds you have.

Boy, I really feel for you, Empera. It would be driving me crazy to have to watch semi-helplessly while the humans in control twiddle their thumbs. I am so glad to hear they have finally decided to get professional help. I hope the help comes in time and the bird recovers. Please keep us posted!

I just dropped Merlin off at my avian vet.

Dave- I understand what you are saying, I'm just saying that although he does not specialize in birds, he should notice the obviously signs of an illness.

Linda - Thank you, and his father ended up giving permission as long as I paid for the 200$ worth of blood work and examinations.

Hopefully they will help him recover. I hope for the best.

empera i am glad to hear you got your merlin (good name by the way! tee hee hee) into the avian vet.

i am mystified at the owner's reluctance to take him in. even if someone had no empathy for another living creature you would still expect the person to protect one's investment.

keep up the good work and who knows? maybe merlin was meant to come home with you. is that open to discussion?

Sandra - I believe the reluctance was more of a stubborness instead. It is just his nature. Always stubborn about admitting anything.

And as soon as I brought Merlin back, I think he saw the possibilities that could have happened, and he seemed to be more caring towards Merlin. He's changing his diet from full seed to full pellets, which I'm very happy about.

As much as Merlin would be a lovely addition to my 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1 sun conure, 9 chickens, and my soon to come home baby grey Zeus, I think I would have my hands finally full.

His appetite has returned somewhat, same with his thirst, which is a great improvement.

This further motivates me to become a veternarian! :D

Thanks Luv for the Karma. I appreciate it. :) Are you also feeling the strong winter snow storms that Washington state is so not used to?

good for you becoming a vet! certified avian in your plans? i hope so - around here one has to drive 45+ minutes to reach a certified avian vet. imagine that! and i am right between milwaukee and chicago.

yep we have a happy houseful also. 1 german shepherd, 2 cats, 3 birds. one more kitty on its way needing a re-home then that should be it!