NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

terraced houses?

dan_erobbo

Hi, we currently live in a detatched bungalow and my grey loves it! she can whistle, talk and do whatever she wants..however, weve recently had to move to a less expensive property and its a mid terrace. Im worried that my grey may cause problems for our neighbours....Any1 live in a terrace with a squalking grey and do you get any problems? thanks

Hiya Dan,

I dont live in a terrace but I do live in a semi-detached. I too have worried about this problem as I have three greys. I think the best thing you can do is to speak to the neighbours and try and be on friendly terms with them, I also invite mine round for coffee and they love to sit and listen to the greys.

I cover the birds at a resonable hour and they dont make a noise until they are uncovered, on a weekend they get covered a little later and this gives us all extra sleep without the noise.

I did mention to my neighbours that if the noise did get too bad I would look into sound proofing the walls.

I know they can hear them as I was house sitting the other week and could hear them when I went round there.

I dont think your situation will be like mine though as you only have the one grey, one grey I dont think the noise will be bad at all! At the end of the day, as long as its not unsociable hours they cant really complain!

Caroline.

A grey,he squawks? Very unusual for a grey. Describe *squawks*. People who live in apartments buy greys because they're very quiet birds. They whistle, make pleasent sounds all day long, have low conversations with themsselves all day and some others talk in the human language.

I would get to know the neighbors. Friends will tolerate a lot from a friend that they wouldn't tolerate from a stranger. You had permission to have a pet right, so that is my best suggestion as well as keeping him entertained as much as possible, i.e., lots of toys; and keeping your grey in the farthest part or most centralized part of the apartment during the grey's noisiest time of day. Good luck.<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2008/12/18 02:05

I live in a semi-detached and have no problems with my neighbour. I agree with Caroline on being on friendly terms with the neighbours, mine come in for tea or coffee and and are animal lovers themselves so that helps. We also go in to each others house and check on and feed each others pets if there is a need, they have 2 dogs, I have 2 birds.Greys are one of the quieter parrots,so I dont think you will have a hugh problem. Talk to the neighbours and I am sure you will find they are fine with your grey.

I live in a duplex apartment but used to live in a semi-detached property and I have never had a problem with any of the neighbours. As Dave suggests they dont really squawk(and they shouldnt really) They do however scream when they are angry/scared. Greys are relatively quiet and as long as they are covered at a decent hour they should be OK.