NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi and request for advice

DavidH

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and do not yet live with an African Grey, but I want to. I'm a lifelong birdwatcher and birdlover, and I've sort of really fallen in love with this species, so I'm on the verge of going for it.

I live in California and am not sure how to go about acquiring a bird. I've looked in some shelters, but have found nothing available for adoption.

Should I just walk into the pet shop and plunk down $1200?

Thanks for your thoughts.

David

Hi David, I would not recommend looking for a grey in a pet store as a first choice, why don't you check out this website as you can do a search by state to find breeders in your area.

www.avianbiotech.com

I commend you for looking into rescues and shelters for a grey as there are some that need a forever home but most that end up there do not usually stay for long.

You can also ask your local avian vets for breeder recommendations as they might know of some in your area and those pet stores may divulge where you might look for one.

Good luck to you in your search and be sure to come back and introduce yourself so we might get to know you a little better.

David, it's nice to meet you. I'm originally from Fresno, California years ago, frankly California was always too hot for me!!! Have you ever had a parrot before or been around them? If you will go into the forum rooms at the top of the page you will find alot of different rooms to wander through and find alot of helpful information. Greys are very intelligent and need honest attention. Having said that, have you checked in your area for Grey breeders? Or the internet? As for pet shops if they are reputable why not. If you were in Washington State I know one great lady who has at least one baby Timneh Grey still available, but she does not ship. Are you interested in a Congo or Timneh Grey? Ask any questions you have and some of our experienced grey owners will be happy to try to help. Good luck in your search and welcome to the family.:silly:

Welcome David!!

It's GreYt having you here. What aprt of California do you live in? Please go to the website: www.mickaboo.com

They are based here and have main office in San Jose and one down south in the LA area. They have Greys for adoption. You can read each of their backgrounds, history and how they are doing at the temporary foster home.

Pet stores may have a grey and they need a home too and you would pay more than from a breeder. But, you would need to be careful and interact with the Grey a few times to determine if it is for you and accpets you.

Finding breeders in Californina is fairly simple by performng a web search such as "African Grey Breeder Fresno California" etc. for your area.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. Please do check out all the information on this site in regards these very wonderful Parrots to see if the breed really is a fit for you. :-)

welcome to the site and THANK YOU for considering parrot rescue! i myself am a big fan of animal rescue and recommend it highly if that is what you are called to do.

all of the inmates here at the monkey house are rescues and they add a dimension of joy and wonder that is difficult to describe.

but your grey, no matter its origin, will add a dimension of joy and wonder that only a fellow grey owner will understand.

again, welcome to the site, and keep us posted on your progress. i'm rooting for rescue but that's just me; i'm shameless in that regard.

-s

It's nice to be a bird watcher. Lots of bird clubs around but you won't see parrots flying around in the wild so the first major thing here is... do you have any experience with any type of hookbill parrots? You never mentioned anything about that.

If not, you'll have to do plenty of work studying hookbills before you take on the responsibility of owning any type of hookbill. All parrots are hookbills. Most bird watchers and bird clubs are looking for softbills. 2 totally different types of catagories and personalities and totally different makeup.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/12/17 20:11

Mikaboo rescue is wonderful they have several greys at this time and some would actually be good for beginners. even if you are in southern california they will help make arangments for you to take the classes over the phone.

Also my breeder was just wonderful she is in Livermore California, she has 2 greys available and I would highly recomend her!! Babies come very very well socialized, pls go to her website and read her methods. http://www.cedarmountainaviary.com/index.html

ZZero came to me perfect we have had 0 problems with anything he loves all food and is completly fearless.

Hi again everyone, and thanks so much for your thoughtful responses. I am really gratified to hear from all of you and encouraged that I'm making some good decisions.

This parrot is a BIG DEAL for me, so I want to do it right.

With the help offered here I've located a seller-breeder in my area. The bird he raised is a 6-month old, hand-fed Congo.

This is a small pet store, but the owner/manager bred the bird himself.

So first off, my question to you disinterested objective observers is, are there any RED FLAGS I should look for when I see the bird? What questions should I ask?

I'm thinking my starter kit is a big cage and food. What else do I need to know on Day One?

Here's what I'm going on with food and shelter:

"A cage approximately 30" W x 30" D x 36" H, with metal bars spaced no greater than 3/4"

apart, makes a good home for your parrot"

"Specialized pelleted diets are highly recommended and should consist of 60–70% of the diet;

Fresh fruits and vegetables should be given daily; discard when not eaten within 24 hours;

parrots appreciate quality and variety in their food"

Thanks again for any insights you can offer.

David :)