NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Haldol for feather picking

kyparamedic

Hi everyone. My vet just started Chloe on Haldol (haloperidol) for her plucking. If you're not familiar with it, it's an anti-psychotic that's used a lot in humans for psychosis and agitation. It's shown to be effective for birds with feather plucking that is thought to be behavioral/obsessive-compulsive in nature, which is what we think her plucking is. Anyone used this on their grey? She's only been on it for a few days and it seems to be helping some. So far I have not noticed any side-effects. It's just a hassle having to give it twice a day and I don't want to have her on this for life so there's the chance that when it's discontinued she'll begin plucking again. I've also acquired a 6 month old male quaker to keep her company but he's in quarantine for 30 days so we won't know if that helps for several more weeks.

Thanks.

Hi. I have not heared of this particular medication.In regards to Chloe plucking again once you stop giving the medication this may well be the case, but equally it may just help by stopping the habbit long enough for her to cease the plucking. I assume you have gone through all the other options,regular baithing,more attention,new toys, teaching a few simple tricks to keep her occupied, ect before she went on the medication.

Yes, it seems like we've tried everything. She has very little interest in toys, except for those with treats in them. I don't want her eating too many treats and she's able to get them out of most foraging toys pretty quicky. I at least make her work even after she gets them out, by using things like almonds in the shell, although she often gets frustrated with these and drops them. I put her in the shower with me which she tolerates although she hates baths and being sprayed. I've used a mister but it broke so I've ordered another one. She didn't mind that too much. So we'll see what happens.

I would recommend never leaving your CAG alone. I never leave Sterling alone. If I am not around he is always left with at least one cat to keep him company, so he never feels like he is being abandoned. I am guessing he sees all of us, (him, me and my cats) as being one little flock. :)

I've tried putting a TV by her cage before, but it didn't seem to help. Right now the only TV near her is a 52" LCD, so I'd prefer not to leave that on for long periods of time. When she's on her playstand she never pays any attention to the TV anyway. I read on here about using a phonebook for shredding. I hung one in her cage and I think she likes it. She loves shredding paper. There are very few toys I've found that she likes and most all of them involve foraging.

I have a subscription to Serius radio and it has some real groove type music and other stuff on it so when I have to go out for a few hrs, i decide on whether I wanna play 50s, 60s, 70s, Watercolor jazz or disco music. They pretty much like it all except fot for the doo wop station. The music is too slow for them and all they wanna do is either get into guitar jazz or sometimes Led Zepplin or just just groove all day. The other day, I had to go with my son to pick up his new puppy at a breeder's house and my wife and I were gone for about 7 hrs ( long trip). I came home and heard all three whistling to George Benson who has those magic fingers.

Hi hi,

We have given Colmicalm to our CAG in the past - I'm not sure if it helped, because she is suffering painful ear infections which is actually the cause of her plucking, not psychological issues as previously thought.

Besides that, with Colmicalm she did not experience any side effects... read up on the different types of medications, and the different side effects - first place to start is www.google.com !! ;-)

But remember, the medication is only an adjunct - you need to do behaviour modification; because without that the medication is useless.

A great book is 'Good Bird' by Barbra Heindrich.

Good luck,

Sameera

• 3 months later...

One quarter of african greys pluck their feathers and most never stop. Haldol has saved my grey's life. After trying to stop his extreme feather plucking for seven years, (yes I tried eveything else) I started to consider using medication as a final route. My vet agreed and prescribed Haldol to my grey, Ruprict. Not only did the feather-plucking stop, so did the shaking, loud annoying noises, and nail biting. Unlike before he loves to be out of his cage and isn't afraid of everything. He also now has the patience to learn new tricks and he even started to cuddle with me and at night a little stuffed animal in his cage. Birds are not domesticated and we shouldn't make them suffer if they don't have to. Haldol saved Ruprict's life and created a more enjoyable experience for everyone. Haldol helped me grow so much closer to Ruprict. He's my best buddy :) I don't regret my decition one bit. I AM NOT TRYING TO PROMOTE HALDOL FOR BIRDS, TALK TO YOUR VET AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EXTIGUISHED EVERY OTHER OPTION AS DRUGS HAVE THEIR RISKS.

Thanks for that info aquariscott. Glad to hear it helped! Is he still on it? My grey has been on it now for 3 1/2 months. While it hasn't completely stopped her plucking, it's reduced it greatly. She has lots of down feathers now and is starting to get new pin feathers in around her neck and head. This will be the true test to see if she leaves these in. In the past, she has always pulled these as they come in or shortly thereafter. I've been misting her frequently with water and aloe vera juice to help minimize the irritation and itchiness. I can't say I've noticed any side-effects from the Haldol. She may be a little less talkative now than she was before, but it's hard to say.