NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rigel's New Light

Kaedyn

A few weeks ago, I replied to a post about nutrition and mentioned that despite a diet of Harrison's high potency pellets, palm oil, eggs (with shell), veggies, and other foods high in calcium, Rigel's yearly bloodwork showed that he was hypocalcemic. He's not in a danger zone, but also not where he should be.

I should also mention that he was outside in the sun for at least 20 minutes a week before the weather turned too cold for that to be practical.

Well, we will be returning to the vet for follow up bloodwork in a few months, but in the mean time, I bought him a Featherbrite full spectrum lamp with a timer. I placed it over his food bowl and not far from where he likes to hang out during the day. It runs for three hours, starting at noon each day.

Obviously, I have no way to know if his calcium levels are improving, but I thought I'd comment on the changes I've seen so far. For starters, his feathers are looking healthier and richer in color. He's become more talkative and he's also consistently more cheerful. He's also become much more forgiving of where and how people touch him.

Is it all due to the lamp? Well, there really is no way to know for sure, but it is awfully coincidental. I suppose if his calcium levels have improved by the next vet visit, it'll lend more credibility to the theory.<br><br>Post edited by: Kaedyn, at: 2008/12/11 05:37

I am also intrugued by this. I recently bought a UVA/UVB lamp also, but Max is terrified of it. AT present I am using it with Tanner (the severe macaw I brought home just over three weeks ago) every other day or so, and maybe I'm imagining things, but he seems more "balanced" temperament-wise on the days when I use it. As far as I know he doesn't have the same calcium issues a grey does, but I know the light can benefit him as well. He'll be moving into the same room as Max soon, and I am hoping that when she sees it on across the room regularly she will begin to realize it's not actually a scary monster, and I can start using it with her regularly, too. It's very interesting to hear that you can actually see noticable changes in Rigel's appearance behavior. Keep us posted!

Thanks for the comments and karma! Rigel was afraid of his lamp when he first encountered it. I took a bit of a risk and mounted it over his food bowl when he was out of the room. He didn't growl at it, but he did sit on the opposite side of his cage for a bit. Eventually (two hours) he got hungry and decided to be brave and sneak over for some food. By about day three, he didn't seem to care anymore.

I purchased mine directly from Featherbrite, but I'm sure there are resellers. You might possibly find it cheaper. They have even fancier models than what I got, but I just wanted something simple. They also have light/timer packages, but I picked up a digital timer from Home Depot for around $10.

http://www.featherbrite.com/ecommerce/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

The Full Spectrum with UVA/UVB definitely makes a difference in the wintertime when we can not take our birds out and for those that do not take their birds out in the summertime.

I constructed my own dual 36 watt (totalling 72 watts) tube 24" fixtures and hung them directly over both my Greys and Conures Cages.

The UVA and UVB are not only healthy for them, but also "Light Up" their world as they were meant to see it.

Lab work may not show any negligible results, but the personality and temperament do show results. Just like us humans that work indoors day in day out under artificial lighting. The spectrum and output of that lighting greatly affects our mood, mental state and ease of seeing/reading properly without straining. This has been proven scientifically and many companies have switched to all "Full Spectrum" lighting due to those studies.

The difference with our birds is the UVA and UVB aspects they benefit from also.

My Conure will sit on top of his cage 75% of the day during the winter as his preferred spot. My Grey maybe 40% of the. In summertime I run the lights 12 hours, as I do in the winter also. But, I take them outside for several hours at a time several days a week, so they have had plenty of natural sunlight during those months.

It will be interesting to hear others comments regarding personality and temperament changes when using Full Spectrum UVA/UVB lighting.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/12/11 20:50

I am very interested in this. I just purchased one of the same lights for Rikki, (she hasn't had a light until now) I bought it much cheaper at a different site though. ;) She has had it 2 days, but has spent very little time in her cage the last few days because I have been home. My problem is, I cover her cage at night, and have to take it off every night. :pinch:

Talon has had a light for about 2 1/2 years, but she also spends very little time in her cage, but when I am at work, she is sitting on the opposite side of the cage. Her light is on her left side of her cage, whereas Rikki's is on top.

If you switch it to the other side of Talon's cage, does she just change sides?

Mine are in the cage while I'm at work, so they get plenty of time with their light. I did consider getting one of the hanging versions and placing it just overhead of their play stand. If your crew spend a lot of time in one area while out of the cage, that might be an option for you.

I don't have a light for any of my birds:unsure: . I've read a little bit about it but didn't actually realized if they need it or not. Can anyone explain this more to me? I looked at one in the pet store last week. It was a fairly tall avian floor lamp that takes UV bulbs. It can be adjusted in height and angels and was not a kind that you would actually attach to the cage. It was about $50 in price. All 4 of my birds/cages are part way in front of windows and I would say 3 of them get good light from outside. One cage area is a little darker than I'd like though:( And what about it it's a cloudy day. I know my birds are always happier when the sun is shining. I would like to know more about them. Do they need them or only in certain circumstances?

I probably should know about this but don't:blush: . Is it harmful if they do not have a UV light?

The full spectrum lamp simulates being out in the sun where they would be exposed to UV light. Our fids have what they call tetrachromatic vision, which means that they have cones in their eyes which see in not only red, green, and blue, but also ultraviolet.

Hence, when kept indoors as pets, it's the equivalent of us seeing only two of the three primary colors. Imagine going through life without green? To look outside and not see the green grass or trees might seriously effect your mood and outlook on the world. Being near the window won't help unless the window is open, since modern glass blocks UV light. Only what we call the visible spectrum gets through. Even a fine mesh can block UV light, so the screen on some windows could also be a problem.

Along with the need to see in the UV spectrum, the second benefit is that UVB plays a key role in the production of vitamin D3. D3 is necessary for the absorption and metabolism of calcium. So, just feeding foods high in calcium may not be enough, as was my case with Rigel. Even 20 minutes of natural sunshine a week wasn't enough. In the wild, he'd be receiving hours of sunshine a day, so the UVB produced by his lamp is a way to supplement what he's missing. Of course the lamp can only put out a fraction of the UV light that he'd receive from the sun, so the lamp has to be in close proximity to him.<br><br>Post edited by: Kaedyn, at: 2008/12/12 05:38

We run the light in winter and we leave it on all day when we are at work. It was funny the first time we turned it on for our female as she had no experience of it. Her eyes went big and she was looking around in wonder. Obviously she started to see things in a different way and was amazed.

They are much happier birds with the light and many times I have come home and both of them are perched under the light fast asleep, sort of like they are sunning themselves.