NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

screams when I leave room

mattpatresi

Just adopted a Grey from a petshop, where he lived for about four years in a small cage and had very little play. He's now so happy about the freedom and attention he's getting with me that he has developed an incredibly piercing and unbearable scream whenever I'm out of sight.What do I do??????

What's *just adopted*? How long have you had him home? If he was living in a pet shop he had the opportunity to yell all he wanted and no one would have paid any attention. This could be a habit he's taking to your home or more than likely it's a reaction to being in a one family home with freedom, no kids trying to poke at him, pet him or in general, just being annoying to him. Many people here can tell you about the multitude of different things that took place when they first brought their birds home. These different things took a while to subside( the bird who had lots to say) or increase ( the bird who was withdrawn, frightened and extremely quiet). If you've only had the bird for a few weeks, he'll need time to get into a routine. Once that's established, things start to calm down. He sounds like the type of bird who was involved in unintentional neglect which many pet store animals go through. The bird is screaming out his happiness with you. You've been doing good by him and he wants to make sure it doesn't go away. In the past it went away or never really was there in the first place. I feel that the situation will lessen but it will take some patience and maybe a decent set of disposable earplugs that are now on sale at Ace Hardware for Xmas. When you have him with you be affectionate. For that he'll keep quiet. Just before you walk away ( not after you come in)from him, leave him a little part of you behind--give a nice almond or some other treat. Gradually, a bird will know what to expect when you walk away. Make sure the almond is not shelled. Slightly crack it and give it to him. It's gonna take a while to take that nut cover off but eventually he'll know that what's in that shell is what came from you. Try it out. There's other things you can try but first you gotta turn the know before the door will fully open for you.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/12/09 03:59

Dear Dave, thanks for taking the time to write. Just adopted means a month ago, and your advice is very reassuring: he has to settle, and so do I, new situations are strange for everybody: his shrieks are already beginning to sound less offensive to the ear-drum, just hope the neighbours feel the same! Anyway, the bird is amazing, look forward to seeing him every new day. will be posting more questions as time goes by and your help will always be very welcome. Matt

Welcome Matt. Karma to you for taking in a grey who was not in a great living condition. Sounds like he was in a similar situation to the one Dorian was when I got him. How do you know he's a he? Did he come with dna papers? What's your greys' name? Most importantly, where are the pictures:P

There are a bunch of threads here on extinguishing screaming, screetching, or other undesirable noises. Bottom line is don't reward the bahaviour. Even returning to the room to scold him or tell him 'no' could be seen as a desirable outsome by him, because he wants your company, and negative atention is better than none. My guess is once he feels more secure and trusts that he is in a forever home with an owner who cares for him, his behaviour will become less needy.

Thanx Acapella, karma to you too! Loooked at your profile and how you got Dorian is really similar to how I got Pablo! ...years in a petshop, then they decide to give it to me as they rate me as a good match for him, he too was previously not for sale. They believe he'll be happier and will get more attention and intelligent stimulation (as opposed to the kind of demented stimulation he was getting from kids etc in the store!), so they sell it to me and I can pay in monthly rates. Luckily he's a gem and very happy to sit on shoulders etc.

The only evidence of him being a he is his name! Next time he has a blood test I will also have him sexed... kind of wish he was a she... too many male pets around lately! And no, no papers whatsoever. this is Italy remember. Thanx for your advice, Matt & Pablo

Nice work saving the little guy from a petshop, it's a rough life in there sometimes, kids and not-so-considerate adults poking at you all the time and whatnot.

Anyhoo, like others have said try leaving a little treat or complex foraging toy in there before you leave, it'll help keep his mind off of you going. Try to establish two different cues for him when you leave 'i'll be right back' (for short periods) and 'see ya later' etc (for long periods). Keep calm when you leave, don't make a big fuss. But do answer when he calls for you otherwise it'll get louder and louder because he'll panic, just softly whistle as you leave and in response when he calls and he'll calm down in a bit. Also, by modeling a soft sound you find acceptable he'll tone down after a while (if he makes the noise when you're with him, ignore it and when he's quiet make a more acceptable noise and praise him if he copies it, also respond to noises you like).

In order to decrease his possible mate like attachment to you (it can make the contact calls louder and worse), don't snuggle with him for long periods of time, instead, play games. Also, encoutage him to play alone when he's out of his cage. Good luck

Thought I might share my own progress with this kind of problem... since we have it too with Starbuck.

Everyone in the house has to be consistent, is one key that we were failing on.

For a few months, whenever I'd leave the room for a short time, I'd say "be right back!", and if she called I'd answer with a low whistle or a "just a minute!". If I was leaving for a longer period, I'd put her in her cage and say "bye-bye!" and close the door to the room behind me, and no amount of screaming would make me open it.

I thought this wasn't working, and I was pretty frustrated by it, because she screamed anyway for a long time.

However, what I didn't know was that my dear husband was *never* putting her in the cage, *never* shutting the door, and going in whenever he felt like it, screaming or no. I didn't realize this until I stopped working 50 hours a week and caught him opening the door after a scream saying "what???!!".

OMG. I flipped. I think my exact words were "WTF are you doing???!!" He really had no clue that he'd just reinforced the screaming -- and why should he? I'm the psych major, he's an engineer.

Since then I've got him doing the basics, but much work to be done yet. At least he doesn't respond to the "bad sounds" -- a group of sounds we NEVER react to, no matter what -- and will wait til she is quiet to go in the room.

And wonder of wonders, Starbuck is getting better. She only yells a few times when we leave, then is relatively quiet unless the troublemaking 'tiel starts something.

Moral of the story is consistency, and don't let your husband train your parrot!

(Good book, mostly about clicker training but with good principles regarding this stuff in general is "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor)<br><br>Post edited by: kitt79, at: 2008/12/16 15:08

Thankyou all for this your concern and sound advice, I am taking note of everything you say, and am putting it to good use... good to hear that it works, will try and grab that book about clicker training. Pablo is fine, seems to be taking things a little easier, so many thoughts come to mind, like how great it is that we can communicate like his about something as unique as the CAG - I mean at the end of the day, we are reaping the benefits, but the birds even more so. Technology seems to go hand-in-hand with parrot happiness... funny huh?!