NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Not sleeping in his cage

brianL23

So maybe someone can help me with this. The first few days I had my grey, at night I would put him in his cage for sleep. I did leave a night light on for him, but at night he would wake me up by screaming and flapping around his cage wildly. I would go in and calm him down, talk to him for a while and put him back into his cage. More often than not he would climb from his perch in the cage and cling to the bars of the cage. When I would wake in the morning, he would be in the exact same spot clinging to the cage bars. So after about a week of this, I would leave his cage open and he would just sleep outside his cage on a fold down perch. He seems perfectly content with this. He no longer flips out at night. If he were to flip out I would wake up. I am a very light sleeper. So I guess my question is is this a normal behaivor? Has anyone else encountered this? Please shed some light on the matter if you have any experience dealing with a similiar situation.

It is not uncommon for a bird to get scared at night. Your bird is still very new to his surroundings and still getting used to everything. Even an older bird will sometimes get scared and freak out at night. A night light will usually help, as will talking softly to them to calm them down.

I had a situation where there was an earthquake several hundred miles away and it woke up my whole flock of birds. For several nights thereafter they were spooked because of it. I left a night light on for several nights and eventually they settled back down. Your bird will eventually adjust to the surroundings and figure out that it is safe to sleep.

Oh one thing to consider, is the perch that he sleeps on one that is easy for him to grip? Manzanita or other really hard woods can be slippery and hard for them to grip tightly when they sleep. My TAG likes to sleep on either his concrete perch or a rope perch- either of these is easier for him to grip and keep a secure grasp.<br><br>Post edited by: Lyric, at: 2008/12/08 18:05