NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

joey keeps shredding paper

remedy

hello i have a two year old parrot called joey, we think he is male but are not 100%. he keeps shredding the paper in the bottom of the cage.he has done this twice in two weeks now and i'm not sure why. could any one please give any info? many thanks carl and joey

Hello Remedy, Joey is a typical bird, they love to chew and shred things, including paper. Is there a grate between the bottom of the cage and the paper?

Maybe you'll want to give him some of his own to shred and if this keeps him busy he may leave the paper on the bottom of the cage alone. Try new toys and rotate them on a regular basis too to keep him busy and happy.

As Lyric said, that's just what birds do. I prefer to keep a grate between my greys and their paper that way they don't wind up walking in their droppings. My preference is for three to six inches between them and the paper. Then I provide them with clean paper, wood, and "shreaders" to satisfy their need to destroy things. B)

My grey loves to shred any kind of paper:laugh: I do have a grate at the bottom of my cage so he can't get to that but I always make sure he has some to shred all during the day. Shredding and tearing paper is his favorite thing to do. Try giving yours an wadded up papers, old phone books, paperbacks and even a roll paper towels. It's a cheap way to keep them occupied:laugh: I don't think there is a way to get them stop so I would just supply the paper you don't mind him having. If you can't beat em, join em:silly:

My birds love to shread paper also. Gizmos favorite toy is some shower cutain rings hooked together to make a chain and the I roll up 3 or 4 sheets of news paper and put them through the rings about 1 roll every 3rd or 4th ring he loves it and the toy last for 2 or 3 days before I have to roll up some more newspaper for him. another one my birts really like is about 20 coffee filters threades onto one of those bird fruit scewers they have a great time shreading them to peices. My Amazon likes to chew up cereal boxes thats her favorite. Just supply your bird with some of his own paper to shread and he will probubly leave the paper on the bottom of his cage alone.