NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

growling and toxic pans!

Guest briansmum

Guest briansmum

Brian is doing a lot of growling.. not at me or anybody else, just at his toys and sometimes nothing at all. sometimes he's just sat there babbling away and will suddenly have a growl and get all flappy? is there something wrong that i'm missing?

also i read the non stick coating on pans is deadly to greys.. i got stainless steel pans but apparently this coating can be on other household things like toasters, heaters and fireplaces. has anyone had any experience with this?

Guest Monique

Hi beccy. As long as it's just the occasional growly I think you are okay. He's just expressing some displeasure. Maybe he's a bah humbug sort of guy (?). It is very normal to have a love/hate relationship with a toy. Sometimes you might have the mind to take the toy away if he gets too crazy.

You are right the non-stick coating Teflon is dangerous ... but only if overheated. I suppose they could use Teflon in a toaster but I don't think it would get overheated if they did. I've never heard of it being used in a heater or fireplace but I am not an expert on heaters and fireplaces either :).

Beccy,

Monique is correct, Grey's do this when they play with their toys. No need to worry bout it.. You will hear some real ruckus sometimes.

Regarding the cookware. BE CAREFUL here. Just overheating these kinds of pot can cause a horrible death to any birds in the house.. Investigate what you have as cookware so you know what to watch out for.

I hope this helps.<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/15 16:38

Guest briansmum

thankyou for your advice. he does seem to growl mostly when his bell is involved i'd take it away but he seems to enjoy giving it a good bash every now and then.

i made sure i bought new pots and pans immediately without the nonstick coating, i was just concerened my new fire place might have it too as i read it somewhere. it doesn't say it does so i tried it out carefully and watched him closely, he had no laboured breathing and wasn't distressed. infact he tucked his head back and went to sleep so i'm sure it's fine.

best to be careful though!

Teflon (according to Avian vet's and DuPont) emit's a fume off itselt at 500 degrees that's know to instantly kill birds, and eventually CAN cause cancer in humans.. Teflon is used in stoves (Do not use self clean function)and DuPont is releasing a line of "shatterproof" light bulbs that are coated in the stuff. . . here is a list of some products that Use Polytetraflouethylene (Teflon)

Heat lamps

Portable heaters

Sole plates on irons

Ironing board covers

Burners on stove tops

Drip pans for burners

Broiler pans

Griddles

Many cooking utensils

Woks

Waffle makers

Electric skillets

Deep fryers, crock pots,

Hot air popcorn poppers

Coffee makers

Bread makers

Non-stick rolling pins

Lollipop molds

Corkscrews

Never-Stick-Stainless Steel

Stockpots

Roasters

Non-stick gingerbread molds

Pizza pans

Tortilla presses

Post edited by: Errols_Mom, at: 2007/05/17 20:32<br><br>Post edited by: Errols_Mom, at: 2007/05/17 20:37

Guest briansmum

so it is when they are over heated? so things like lolly pop moulds, which go in the freezer are harmless? and my ironing board cover.. as long as i dont leave the iron on the actual cover.. just keep it on my clothes, it should be fine?

• 1 month later...

Teflon (PTBE) can kill a bird EVEN if it not overheated. I read a story of chics dying from a warming lamp that was at normal operating tempetures.

My last bird, Jasmine, a Citron Crested Cockatoo died from teflon poisoning. It was a very shocking and violent death. It took only like 2 minutes from the exposure until she died in convulsions in my hands. It was VERY SAD and it still brings tears to my eyes :(

There is no need to use or have anything teflon coated unless you are trying to kill your bird in the most cruel way you can think of. Cast iron pans are defineately better, especially for women, once u know how u cook with them. Stay away from aluminum as it is a very soft metal and can "vaporize< in the chemical meaning>" and get trace amounts of it in your food.

Oh, how terrible!! What a devastating story that is. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for this important reminder.....I think some times people don't realize how dangerous Teflon is, especially to our feathered friends.

I'm sure through this tragedy, you have saved many birds lives with your story. :(

I read recently that you don't even need to over heat this stuff to kill. Over time being exposed to it well kill your birds and make you sick. Even some cleaners have it in them and fabrics.

I remember once someone found out their couch had it on it and in the winter it got warmed up and killed a bird.

This stuff is nasty and I would not chance it at all.

And yes I learned the hard way and killed my first quaker a blue crown conure and 11 budgies.

You can't be 100 percent careful so just get rid of the stuff. You and your bird well be much healthier without it.<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2007/07/10 20:04

Teflon, PTFE, short for Poly-Tetra-Flouro-Ethelyene. PTFE is not dangerous when at room temperature. Yet when heated it chemically rearranges itself into the form of a gas molecule called PFIB (Per-Fluoro-Isobutylene). This was used as a nerve gas agent in the 2nd world war. When it is inhaled into the lungs of a bird, their body reacts by quickly releasing liquid, likely blood and/or mucus and in a matter of minutes the bird suffocates due to its own bodies self defense mechanism. This is only the lungs.. it is a nerve gas afterall, who knows what damage it does to the brain or other tissues and organs.

Good cause your eggs won't stick to the pan.

Bad cause well, makes birds die due to their intensely sensitive respiratory systems. I use Teflon pans in my house, but I also have a commercial grade overhead exhaust fan that can move 400cfm. I keep the fan on for as long as it takes before I can touch the pan with a bare hand.

Ya Judy, I try my best to avoid using those pans. But if the birds are in my room like usual it works. I hope I never find out if it's not working. I never cook with the birds on the same level as the kitchen no matter then pans I'm using. One mistake will result in carving a grave stone.

Knowing your stuff doesn't mean much to a dead bird tho.. It's easier just to throw some butter in the pan.. And it tastes better anyway! But it makes your heart stop.. But not for 40 years!! Spend that time with birdie:laugh: I'll carve my own grave stone, chances are they'd spell my name wrong anyway.

Guest Monique

Very interesting topic. I use teflon too but am careful not to overheat. I see, too, that it builds up over time but again I am not sure how it can build up if it is not released in the first place. It does say there are a lot more applications for teflon than pans - carpets, fast food packaging, etc.

Let me try one more time.

It don't matter how carefull you are accidents can and do happen that is why they are called accidents.

A friend of mine had her accident when she had to rush her mother to the hospital. She even had birds upstairs behind closed door that died.

Last I'll say on this cause this subject is a real touchy for me and I thought I was one of those "careful" people. I regret it to this day. I sure hope none of you ever lose a bird like this since it can be prevented.

But I guess if just one of you hears me and buys new stuff then I have done what I can.

Geoff- Yes.. You sound knowledgable, but I thought PTBE reacted and formed HFL as the product. Does that molecule your talking about have HFL on it?

Also I can confirm that my bird that died from teflon had a mucus in her lungs. I tried CPR and that mucus came up.... ughhh