NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello everyone

Stefil

Hi all!

I have been lurking this site for a few months now (there's a lot more info on this site than there are in many of the books I've read) and only recently created an account.

I am the proud owner of a 10 year old (unsexed for now) Timneh African Grey named Malcolm who is probably the only bird I know of who hates sunflower seeds. Sunflower sprouts? BLEH. Sunflower bread? Double BLEH. That's fine with me though since I know they aren't the best food for greys :lol: His favorite activity when bored is to call my dog's name and laugh at her when she comes to the presumably empty room looking confused. He also enjoys whistling, chirping, laughing, and barking like a dog. I look forward to learning more about my buddy through this friendly forum. :)

-Stefanie

(P.S. Malcolm says Hi! while deftly avoiding my camera. I tried guys. I really did. :pinch:)

phpjYAY7LPM.jpg

Welcome Stephanie and Malcolm!!!

It's GreYt having here (Well officially of lurking state).

Thats is a nice photo. How long have you had Malcolm, since a chick? Not wanting anything to do with Sunflower seeds is odd indeed. So whats his/her favorite food or snack?

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)

Hi Stefanie

Welcome to our board. Also when you get a chance, give Malcom our regards. Lots of TAGs here that he can play with or just have a good ole chat with.

Forgive the question but what's Sunflower bread-- I'm behind the times. It's the age. I'm sure you'll understand.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. :)

Dan - I've known Malcolm for about 8 years now. He was actually my step-father's past wife's TAG that they adopted when he was a chick but once his previous wife passed away, my step-father began to lose interest in Malcolm because the bird brought back too many painful memories. I met Malcolm two years after his wife's death when my mother began seeing him. A year after that, Malcolm was given to me when I said that I would give him a proper home. Previously he was on an all seed diet which made his feathers unruly and prevented him from being able to fly (They didn't know that a diet like that would actually cause harm to him. Their research on African Greys was outdated since they bought him during a time when seeds were the norm in a bird's diet) Now he's happily munching on Harrison's with fresh fruits/veggies thrown in and regaining his sleek feathers but he's still not very good at flying. :laugh: I would say his favorites are apple, yam, banana, table crackers, and peas though.

Dave - Nonsense. I'm the one who didn't explain it properly. When I say sunflower bread, what I mean to say is bread that I make with a bunch of birdie goodies thrown in which happens to include sunflower seeds. I only tested it twice to see if he really disliked the seeds that much since I'd heard that many birds love them. Once he realized they were in there, he wouldn't touch any more of the bread :dry:

Hello Stefanie and welcome to the family, so glad you could finally come on in and join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Malcolm.

Well I can attest that my Josey does not care for sunflower seeds herself and I couldn't be happier, she loves her Harrison's pellets and eats a variety of fresh foods as well.

I like to think that we do have a very fine resource here for greyt information, we do have some very knowledgeable members who know what they are talking about and are more than willing to help with any problems you might have.

As you have already found out we have loads of info in our many threads and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

Thanks for including a pic of Malcolm, he is a good looking Tag and I just bet he is quite a character.

Hello Stefanie and Malcolm, welcome here! I think it was a wonderful picture and he truly looks like a happy and healthy TAG. If he doesn't enjoy sunflower seeds I wouldn't worry about it, sounds like his diet is great and I'm sure he gets the nutrients he needs from the pellets.