NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to stop nipping ?????

Sehar

Hi

My timneh gets way over excited sometimes and when he does he nips really hard or when he doesn't get his way. I know he is only four months old and is just testing but sometimes the nips are hard. Even though I have two other birds and I have trained them by saying and no and when they behave i reward them and they learnt not to bite or nip that way but seems not to work on him. He still doesn't understand when I say no. Can anyone provide any good tips as I know he is more intelligent than my other birds so what should I be doing to stop his behaviour when he does get like this?

The other thing is that he tries to fly on top of everyone’s head and I have tried to put him back down and block him but then he gets nippy again.

I know people must have asked the same question many times but i am a bit confused on how to stop this behaviour.

Thank you

Sehar

Hello Sehar,

He is young and is targeting the head, rather than the shoulder simply due to it being the highest place. The only way to stop it, is as you have started to do and that is to block him before he gets there. It will take several times before he gets the message once and for all that your head or someone elses is not a landing pad. :-)

The nipping is also a defensive tool they use to let you know they do not want to be removed and you just don't have any control when he is on your head or shoulder to see him or get him off and he knows it. You will just need to block both areas for now.

They do nip when playing with you or a toy. If your using you hand to play with a toy or trying to take something away from him, he will nip or bite in protest. They also become more and more excited as they play and beaking/nipping/biting is part of the action and they care not if it is the toy or your finger/hand. The best advice here is to keep your hands out of the play area unless he has something that is not a toy and must be taken away.

The "No Bites" and stern evil eye look sometimes helps and they will come to understand you do not approve. If it continues, you will need to take immediate action when the bite or hard nip occurs and place him on a playstand or back in his cage for a timeout. You will need to repeat everything you do over and over until it lessens or subsides completely for the most part.

The key here is time and consistency when it takes place, with out exception. That means from anyone that is actively handling your Grey.

Dan is so right with the time and consistency, with out exception. Many people think that, once won't hurt I'll just leave him on my head or shoulder or maybe your busy right at that moment. But if you don't want a particular behavior then don't allow it at ALL. Carry through with every lesson you intend the bird to learn.

Consistency for ALL that handle the bird not just you. They are very smart and will soon learn who will let them away with bad behavior or unwanted behavior.

Trust me I have learned lol

Carolyn & Mika

Carolyn wrote:

Trust me I have learned lol

Carolyn & Mika

Amen to that, haven't we all!!

I am still trying to undo behaviors I and wife thought were "Cute" and fun. But, as they get older, they become much more aggressive, demanding and bullheaded.

Then it takes as long, if not longer, to "Correct" them on the behaviour that needs to change.

Please listen to those that have learned some hard lessons through experience. Of course, that's the problem we ALL learn through experience. Thinking our Grey or other pet is such a sweety pie, that they are not like that.....UGH!!!!<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/12/07 20:09

Thank you everyone...I will defiantly follow this advice and be consistent with the corrections and reward him for his good behaviour. I totally agree that it will take time but I should be there at the end. I totally agree about the things we find cute and fun when they are little, I have already learnt that lesson with my conure and want to make sure that he doesn't do same thing.