NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Coal/Wood Stoves

DITB

Hey, im new here and new to parrots. ive been researching them for 2 years just to afraid to cough up the dough for one and then it die on me...hopefully im just a paranoid person... anyways ive always been very interested in congo african grey parrots and i REALLY want to get one it will be my first parrot. i have other pets(reptiles, goats, pheasants, and chickens) BUT not parrots(getting a CAG to big of a first step?) my main fear/problem is my house is heated with a coal/wood stove and when opened it does release some smoke into the air and that my father smokes inside the house. i have a sheet over my door so heat comes in but the smoke does not but im sure that isnt enough so i have plans of getting an air filter(any tips?) and also the wood/coal stove does make the air dry so i will need a humidifier too. id love to hear peoples opinions and experiences with coal/wood stove and getting a congo african grey as a first parrot(i have plenty of time to give to a CAG and very committed to my pets)

thanks for any help :cheer:

As far as I know, real wood fireplaces that don't give off any smoke (wood isn't wet, etc.) are fairly safe. Alternatives to wood, such as Duraflame logs are not safe at all. I'm not sure about coal, maybe someone here can add their input on that one? I would recommend that you keep a close eye on the temperature and humidity.

Smoking is a different story. I wouldn't let anyone smoke near my fids.

I don't know about wood and coal stoves but I would think if you got a really good Aircleaner/humidifier and that your Grey is kept away from the smoke there shouldn't be to much of a problem. People have been keeping parrots for pet for a long time now and I sure even before central heating people had parrots so I'm sure it shouldn't be a huge problem. I would like to turn convert my gas fireplace into a wood burning stove one of these days. and If I thought that doing that would hurt my birds there would no way I would do it.

This is a really interesting question. I have no idea what affect an open fire would have on a parrot but what is very interesting is that just the other day I saw a coal waggon for the first time in years. I am wondering if people are resorting back to open fires to save on fuel bills and to enable them to burn a lot of waste. My gut feeling is that a coal fire would not be the best for a parrot, they are very sensitive to smoke and fumes .