NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm gonna buy an African Grey. I have questions.

Madness008

Madness008 wrote:

I understand your point but because everyone seems to have a different experience/opinion, I'm just gonna base my decision on how the bird acts when I see him tomorrow. If he doesn't growl at me and lets me hold him, that's pretty much all I can ask for being that I'm a stranger. Whether or not he lets me pet him is something I'd be willing to wait on and be patient with if I have to. If he bites me hard, I probably won't take him.

You are exactly right Madness. It is ultimately YOU that needs to make this decision based on your interactions with him, the way he acts now with present owners and strangers etc and ultimately just your gut instinct.

No bird is perfect and neither are humans. Even if you raised one from infancy, you have no way of knowing what your going to encounter and lovingly deal with over the years and decades.

Looking forward to hearing how this progresses and I applaud you for really pursuing the path of re-homing a Grey in need of a final home. :-)

Everyone here has different stories, as you know. Every Grey is an individual, just as each human is. The bottom line is, love overcomes all things. When my human children grew up, became independent and didn't want to be cuddle muffins any longer, it did not lessen the relationship, it just moved it to a different level that is still enjoyable and full of love.

Remember, love is unconditional and spans all time.

I really hope it works out and you get him. Alot of it does depend on the birds past and like Dan said love will overcome all things.

Baxters is 12, all I know about his past was a couple bought him, had children, then dogs and put Baxter in the basement and didn't do anything but feed and water him. He was never allowed out of his cage at all. They gave him to another guy when he was about 10yrs old. The other guy liked him but was scared of him and never handled him or let him out of his cage. He would give him treats from his hand and would pet him with one finger on top of the head, but he still was never allowed out. He only had 2 ratty toys when I got him which he never played with. Baxter didn't know how to play with toys and I had to teach him myself by playing with them to get him interested in them. He was never allowed to fly so we had flying sessions too:laugh: Baxter wasn't abused I don't think but pretty neglected as to what a greys needs are. I don't know about the first family but he was on a Seed only diet that the guy said you could buy at wal mart. I still have a hard time with him eating certain foods. We noticed he loved chips and french fries and pizza, any junk food really so the guy must have sharedt that with him but nothing healthy.

It has been such a learning experience for me and so much joy to see Baxter flourish and learn and enjoy so many new things. Baxter had a sweet disposition from the start and was very willing to learn so I don't think he was physically abused. And like I said, I did get alot of bites in the beginning but that was more my fault than his with me pushing him so much. Getting Baxter and learning with him has been one of the greatest experiences in my life though!

When I went to see him, I looked at him and tried to see what his disposition was. Did he have mean or wild eyes? How was his body language, did he seem curious or scared? Well, he was pretty nervous but they all are when they see a stranger I think. But I felt in "my gut" we could get along and it was my gut feeling whether to take him home or not. I didn't see any red flags as to why I shouldn't. But even if a bird does do something that might concern it may just be because he is nervous or scared of a stranger. And love will get through any bad stuff. Some just have to work a little longer than others.

I do hope it works out for you and you do bring him home. Listen to your gut;)

Well the owner keeps pushing back the day when I can come see him. Initially she said any day after 7pm and I asked about wednesday. She said Thursday would be better. Now today she said something about work blah blah and can't make it today, but Saturday anytime would be fine. Grrrrr. So it looks like I'll have to wait until Saturday. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for all the advice!

I know how you feel it always seem time always seems to drag on when you have to wait. I had to wait to get Tyco because I didn't have quite enough money and I thought the day was never going to get their. When I finally went and got her I was so excited. I do hope things work out for you I hope she is not just putting you off because she doesn't really want to sell him. Saturday will be here soon and and yes please keep us updated. I'm would love to see some new pics when you get him

Well I checked him out today and unfortunately I don't think he's the right bird for me. The owners couldnt handle him or even touch him without him trying to bite. When I would come near, his feathers would go up, head down and I knew what was comming. They said their son was able to hold him no problem but since he moved out, they couldnt get the bird to like them. They havent been able to bathe him in a few months, and in one recent attempt to take him out of his cage he ended up biting hard and then flying around the house and they had trouble catching him. He looked healthy and I'm sure he's a good bird, but I think he should go to someones more experienced. They said he knows hundreds or words and is very talkatve.

Very dissapointing! I really still want a grey though. There's a two year old at a nearby pet store that misses her owner, but she doesnt bite hard and stepped up to me from her cage. She gave me a bite at first but it was so soft that I would have no fear handling her, bathing her, etc. I'm trying to decide between adopting her, or getting a baby.

Gosh Madness sorry about today's visit. But they are going to bite. I have a new baby- turned 4 months today. Had her for a week; the first two days she bit me alot. It's the way they hold on. I say no and she still bites a little when she tries to perch on me or to try to step up. They have no hands except their mouths. If you are afraid of a bite then maybe you should wait because if they know you are afraid well they are going to bite if they want you to leave them alone. This is my opinion. Think about it because they live a long time and their first home with you should be a forever home. By the way, my little baby wants out of her cage all the time and to be with me. She eats out of my hand and likes cuddles, but she still nibbles/bites to get purchase. Good luck on your decision.

Madness008 wrote:

Well I checked him out today and unfortunately I don't think he's the right bird for me. <snip> I think he should go to someones more experienced.

I'm trying to decide between adopting her, or getting a baby.

Your absolutely right, based on your observance of the Grey. If your afraid of a bird, it will pick up on it in a minute and capitalize on your fear.

One thing you need to know also, even if you go with a baby Grey. As they mature they do bite and I mean hard that will leave you bleeding. It's not a matter of if, it's just when.

Any Parrot will bite. Knowing that going in, you can make the decision that's best for you and any bird. Just keep in mind, the goal is to keep the Grey through good times and bad. They may piss you off and you they, but just as in any family that loves one another, it's forgiven and the relationship continues.

The way you are searching and physically observing and interacting with the possible Grey you may bring home is great. Let it be a mutual selection and the odds of it turning out to be a win-win are much higher. :-)

That 2 year old female might be a good bird for you is the pet store selling her for less because she's not a baby. I don't know how much truth there is in this statment but I've heard that female Greys prefer men to woman so she may be a good bird for you if she didn't bite you hard and steped up for you without a problem it sounds like she might like you and has even chosen you if that is the case you really can't go wrong. if she choses you she will love you forever. Tyco went crazy when she saw me she was streching toward me and paceing back and forth trying to get me to come closer I just knew she was for me. Just mabie this female bird feel the same way about you that Tyco felt for me.

I dont know what to tell you other than getting an older african grey will be a lot harder and take more time and patience than a baby. Not trying to discourage you , but I would hate to see the bird having to be rehomed again because you find you arent cut out for the job. Yes, all birds take time, but a rescue, even more so. As for all birds getting behavioral problems.. SO NOT TRUE! Birds will be birds yes, but their problems are learned. I know my bird is still young, going on a year, but I dont have any problems whatso ever, and Im confident with all the resarch I have done on birds, and their behavior BEFORE I got Ace, that we will avoid a lot of "problems" :) I wish more people did so. Good Luck!

I am sorry your visit never worked out.I think you have made a sensible decision for you.The 2 year old sounds a much better option. My advise is to visit her a few times and see how you get on. Interact with her and you will know if she is your bird.Keep us informed.