NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm gonna buy an African Grey. I have questions.

Madness008

One of the ones available that I'm interested in, I haven't seen yet but will be checking it out tomorow. It is 6 years old and belonged to a kid who just moved out of his parents house. The bird dislikes the father and growls when he comes near, but he will let others handle him.

I've never owned a pet bird before. I know an African Grey is probably not the easiest starter bird, but I wouldn't want to buy some other bird just for "practice." I know it's the breed I want.

Is it harder for a 6 year old Grey to get adjusted to being rehomed than, say, a 2 year old? Will I eventually gain it's trust if it doesn't like me initially?

Also, do their personalities change as they get older? Do they become less playfull? Or will a 50 year old grey get the same kick out of destroying a toy and playing on a playstand as a 4 year old?

Thanks

It may take some time for you to gain an older birds trust. Especialy an African Grey. I got a 5 yr old Congo last Oct 2007 and I have finaly gained her trust it took 7 months to be able to touch her feathers in any way. Now she is a wonderful bird but it didn't happen over night and owning a bird is a huge responsibility it is not something to take lightly they do not not do well being passed from home to home. what happens to the bird if you buy it and he turns out not to be what you expected. what then do you just get rid of ot and get a different bird. An older bird takes tons and tons of love and patient. My advise to you since you have no bird experiance is to buy a newly weaned baby that way you an he can learn together he will bond to you allot better than a second hand bird.

I have had all mine from being babies so I cant give you personal advice on taking in a Cag over 5 years old, but Pat has told you of her experience with Tyco which has taken her a long time,lots of patience and lots of love to gain her trust. She has an awful lot of experience in re-homing birds which I feel is needed when you take on the huge responsibility of a bird which may have some behaviour issues or "baggage".

There is no gaurantee this bird will gain your trust, be playful and allow you full contact.

Is it definetly a rehome you want to take on? I am not trying to put you off as I think people who take rehomes are one in a million and we have some great members on here who have done a wonderful job!

I would look through the many hreads on the forum and read through peoples blogs, decide on what you are looking for in a grey and weigh up the pros and cons of both rehomes and babies.

Its a life time commitment you are about to take on, make sure you do whats right and fair for both you and a grey!

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

Caroline.

I think my advise to you at the moment is to do as much research as you can on greys.I have both a rehomed grey and a hand reared cockatiel I have had since he was a baby.What I can tell you is that they all have different personalities and non come with guarantees. A re homed grey could come with a lot of baggage and habbits and trates that will need a lot of experiance and patiance to overcome. Pat has spelt that out very clearely by telling you her experiance with her grey.You are quite right though in saying that any grey is a hugh responsibility which is why I am advising you to read all you can and ask lots of questions before making your final decision on what is right for you. A grys personality can change drastically as it ages. A baby is usually very friendly and receptive to changes and training. As they reach maturity,like teenagers they can become stroppy and beligerant which is why I feel training at a young age is very beneficial. If an older grey has had no training or much contact with people they can be a hand full and try the patiance of a saint.It is a decision only you can make , All I ask is that you make an informed one. Good luck and best wishes. Let us know what you decide and ask all you want

I got a 12 year old CAG last July. It was my first large bird ever and I totally didn't know what I was doing. Luckily, I found this site right away and everyone on here was so willing to help me and me and Baxter flourished with the help of others. If I didn't find this forum, the outcome could have been much worse and Baxter would not have done as well as he did.

Baxter made a pretty smooth transition with me. He was terribly neglected but he was not mean at all and seemed willing to do new things with me. I could not touch him except on the top of the head. Petting him was NOT an option. I got bit so many times. My hands and arms were bloody from his bites and it was painful!!! I worked with him constantly. I work from the house but honestly let almost everything go in order to get him tamed down. 4 months later we are at a good place. I can touch him all over and we have bonded very well. So it can be done but it all depends on the bird you are getting as well. Baxter never growled and you said the bird you are considerd did growl & that is a good sign that there might be some attitude/anger issues too but it might be only for the one person you mentioned in your post.

After Baxter, I thought I had a natural talent with rehoming birds and did get a couple more older birds that didn't have any issues, then finally decided to take in a 1 1/2 year old amazon parrot. He is absolutely nothing like Baxter. He is coming along good but slowly, but he doesn't want to learn anything new, he is stubborn and he has worn my patience on several occassions now. It was not as easy as I thought it was going to be and I have found myself asking "What did I do?" Mainly because he is a hand full. He is friendly and curious and not mean at all but the stubborness drives me crazy:angry: I can tell he is going to be a good bird and will be the bird I want eventually but think this guy might take a good year to get him to where I want him and not just a months.

Each bird is different but one thing is the same. It takes a lot of time and consistancy on an older bird. I think it takes a lot of time with a baby, too but it might go smoother.

I used to tell everyone that rehoming an older bird with issues is such a rewarding experience and for me it was with Baxter but I put my all into it and I pretty much was obsessed with him. Now I say rehoming an older bird (or even a baby) is a huge responsibility and can be very rewarding if you are committed. This is a life long decision you are making. Just make sure you are in it for the long haul. It is heartbreaking to see a neglected bird or a bird that was fun in the beginning just to stuck in a corner or basement to be left alone when the new wears off.

It is up to you whether to get a baby or an adult. Both are hard work but if you get an older bird just make sure you know what you are getting into. I also am home all the time since I work from the house and if I did work outside the house it would have taken much longer with Baxter. Baxter was my first parrot and I really wouldn't change it for the world. And although he was neglected he had a sweet disposition. Make sure you check this birds personality out towards you and go with your instints. I could tell when I met Baxter that we could get along later on. I think it's a wonderful thing to take in an older bird and give it the life it deserves but don't do it if you are not in it for the long haul.

Keep us posted...Good luck.

Sounds like I might be better off with a baby. The 6 year old I was thinking about hasnt been neglected and seems like its in a decent home. I still might go look at it. But it sounds like once it moves it's gonna be a major struggle to bond with, with no gaurentee I'll ever get its trust. The fact that BaxtersMom said that hers was a smooth transition, but her hands and arms were sometimes bloody with bites, is a bit much. And reading some other threads on this board, I don't want to end up with a bird that lunges at me everytime I walk by the cage, or bites me everytime I try take his food bowls for cleaning.

I think I would be a good parrot owner and have patience dealing with behavioral issues, but if I can avoid starting off on the wrong foot then I probably should.

This route will be MUCH more expensive though as I could get the 6 year old with his cage and playstand for $450.

Poppy wrote:

I thought all the advise you got was positive?

What as changed your mind ?

Please let us know :unsure:

It wasn't all that positive. Heres some quotes that kinda turned me off:

"My advise to you since you have no bird experiance is to buy a newly weaned baby"

"There is no gaurantee this bird will gain your trust, be playful and allow you full contact."

"A re homed grey could come with a lot of baggage and habbits and trates that will need a lot of experiance and patiance to overcome."

" If an older grey has had no training or much contact with people they can be a hand full and try the patiance of a saint."

"he was not mean at all and seemed willing to do new things with me. I could not touch him except on the top of the head. Petting him was NOT an option. I got bit so many times. My hands and arms were bloody from his bites and it was painful!!!"

"you said the bird you are considerd did growl & that is a good sign that there might be some attitude/anger issues too"

"but if you get an older bird just make sure you know what you are getting into."

Hi,

I havejust been reading through this thread. Its a shame that you changed your mind after everbody added to the thread. Personally what they said was right and they said it to make you more aware of the reality but you shouldnt take this negatively but take it as it is which is advice.

I have two greys one is a baby Indy and we have had her since she was 3 months old and I have Ice who we rehomed recently. I originally got Indy hoping that she would bond with me and at first she did as the months passes she grew closer to my husband and she now prefers him to me. But she is happy to come to me and I am able to handle her but it goes to show that even if they are a baby there is no guarantee that the bird will bond to you.

Ice on the other hand we have had for a month now and has come leaps and bounds! When we first fot him he would not let us touch him and would bite. We are his 3rd and final owners. 4 weeks on I can now touch him everywhere. He likes to spend a lot of time out just relaxing and loved getting head scratches by me.

That's my story...........I hope this helps!

Thanks, that is helpful. I'm still going to look at the bird (his name is Chongo) tomorow. I haven't ruled him out, but am a bit more apprehensive now.

You said you don't know why I changed my mind, but you also said I should take the replies for what they are; advice. But the advice I recieved in my first reply was:

"My advise to you since you have no bird experiance is to buy a newly weaned baby"

and a couple replies after that said she knows what she's talking about. That being said, I understand the point you are making, and that people are just trying to make me aware that there could be problems that will test my patience. I've already known that a pet parrot can be difficult at times but the purpose of this thread was to find out how much MORE diffucult it will be with a rehomed Grey that is 6 years old. It looks like many people have had different experiences, so I guess it just depends on the bird. I guess I'll just make the decision based on what he seems like when I see him tomorow. I appreciate all the responses and if anybody else wants to chime in, please do. Thanks.

You are absolutely rightin saying that different people have different experiences. All greys are different have their own little personalities and traits. Part of which makes them wonderful pets!

Dont rule out the rehome just yet. Go check him out spend some time and get to know him. For all you know he might just warm to you.:)

Good Luck

Madness, everyone is just trying to give you all the pros and cons. If you can re-home a grey; this is a marvelous thing to do; to give a grey a much needed forever home. In the end, you must do what is in your heart. I would go see Chongo, perhaps this is the bird for you. Only you will know. Every bird is different as every person is. Do what is in your heart, check out Chongo and see what it feels like to you and him to be together. Good luck on your decision, remember it is your decision.<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2008/12/03 22:36

To add to this .

I have rehomed a 2 1/2 year old grey .

So far I have had little problems with him .I also have a 12 year old son who likes to think he knows best ans as of yet to encounter any probs with him and the grey.I have had so much advice and positive results from friends (i now call you all!) So please go see it see how it goes and then make a carefully thought

out decision .

Well, I think it is great that you read all the responses and actually heard what everyone was saying but don't let that discourage you from getting the grey. Alot of people ask questions and just get upset when they don't get the answers they were hoping for. Atleast you are hearing the good and the bad.

It is true that I got bit alot in the beginning and I did get many bites that drew blood but the part I didn't mention was that alot of that was my fault because I had no prior bird experience and was pushing him too hard too fast. Therefore, I got bit:pinch: I chose to take him in and love him and make him part of our family...but he didn't sign up for it:laugh: He had no choice in the matter. He was probably very scared and nervous & He didn't know who in the heck I was, always wanting to touch him or teach him something or handle him and his only way to let me know he wasn't ready for it was to bite me. Once I slowed down the biting did stop. I think after the first month I didn't get bit anymore. And now we are so close and have such a great bond. Even all the bloody bites were worth it (and probably preventable if I wasn't asking so much of him so quickly)I did want you to be aware that alot of greys do bite though and it can hurt. Some don't bite at all. I think if you get a grey or a large parrot baby or adult you will most likely experience a good bite from time to time. It does not mean that you will get bit on a regular basis though.

I definately would not rule the bird out. Even older birds need good loving homes and they can be so rewarding. I wouldn't trade Baxter for anything in the world! I think you should meet with the bird and get a feel for him. He may be the perfect pet for you.

I think we all just wanted to let you know the good and the bad points so you would be aware. It is true all birds are different and we all have different experiences with them and there are a lot of opinions on here. So many just want a grey and don't think it all the way through.

I think if the visit goes well and you have a good feel for him you would be a great grey owner. I'm glad you heard what we said but don't let us talk you out of a bird that you really want. Let us know what happens please. I can't wait to find out what you decide.

There are wonderful parrots out there that have had wonderful home where they have been raised right and loved these kinds of bird are great to rehome and if this is the case with the bird you are adopting then there should be no problems at all for you a minor tasistion period is all it should take ask his previous owner as many question as you can think of if it sound positive than I would not even think twice about it just bring your new friend home and love him forever.

Gryphon is a re-homed bird. We got him in October and it has been remarkably easy. You will get bitten at first most likely, but you'll learn the body language pretty quickly. I haven't been bitten since day 2.

I think you are very right that it all depends on the bird. Chongo may be perfect for you, but he may also have the kind of issues that a more experienced owner could handle. It's all about your comfort level with the bird.

Good luck! :)

Madness ~

My parrot is a rehome and he is free from baggage. I had no prior bird experience aside from wild injured birds that I attempted to rehabilitate with the intent to release back into the wild. I have no idea how old Sterling really is and either does the vet, but I am guessing he is probably over 15 years old. I didn't go shopping for a bird. God just sent him into my life. I have always admired African Greys for their intelligence and beauty ever since childhood, but I didn't ever feel right about buying one, but rescuing was always an attractive option. I would definitely say go for the rescue bird, because thus far my experience has been a VERY positive one.

MUCH LOVE,

ANN MARIE & STERLING

{Nature-0002009A}

I have a 7+ year old grey. He has been rehomed at least three time that I know of, (us being the third). He came to us with one bad habit. he BITES. I have never owned a bird before and frankly never even thought about wanting a bird. He was a gift for my husband which has always wanted one. If I was going to go and buy an African grey I would buy a baby. Just because it breaks my heart not being able to interact with George like I want. We have had him for 2 months now and I have 5 scars from him so far.

You have to make sure you have the time and patience for the bird you are going to get if you are getting an older bird that may have probllems. Trust me when George bites me I go in the other room so he can see me or hear me and cry from the pain and then as I'm wiping off the blood threaten to cook him for dinner,(Not Really) But you get the jest of the idea. If it's the price that's helping with the dicession, I would suggest that you keep saving your money and get an younger bird. I Have been a member of this forum for 2 months, and have huge respect for everyone here. They will give you their opinion wether you like what they say or not. But trust me. These people on here know what they are talking about. They have helped me alot. Just by reminding me to be patient, and offering ideas as what to do . I'm still being helped every time I sign on here. But having rambled on like i did. Make a good decision in what ever you do. And when you make that decision keep coming here and ask questions. Everyone here will help with anything you need.

gourdlady247 wrote:

I have a 7+ year old grey. He has been rehomed at least three time that I know of, (us being the third). He came to us with one bad habit. he BITES. I have never owned a bird before and frankly never even thought about wanting a bird. He was a gift for my husband which has always wanted one. If I was going to go and buy an African grey I would buy a baby. Just because it breaks my heart not being able to interact with George like I want. We have had him for 2 months now and I have 5 scars from him so far.

You have to make sure you have the time and patience for the bird you are going to get if you are getting an older bird that may have probllems. Trust me when George bites me I go in the other room so he can see me or hear me and cry from the pain and then as I'm wiping off the blood threaten to cook him for dinner,(Not Really) But you get the jest of the idea. If it's the price that's helping with the dicession, I would suggest that you keep saving your money and get an younger bird. I Have been a member of this forum for 2 months, and have huge respect for everyone here. They will give you their opinion wether you like what they say or not. But trust me. These people on here know what they are talking about. They have helped me alot. Just by reminding me to be patient, and offering ideas as what to do . I'm still being helped every time I sign on here. But having rambled on like i did. Make a good decision in what ever you do. And when you make that decision keep coming here and ask questions. Everyone here will help with anything you need.

How was your bird treated before you got him? This bird, accoridng to the owner, has only ever tried to bite one person. She bathes the bird in the shower with no problems and strangers have handled the bird with no problems, but only a few times. I understand your point but because everyone seems to have a different experience/opinion, I'm just gonna base my decision on how the bird acts when I see him tomorow. If he doesnt growl at me and lets me hold him, thats pretty much all I can ask for being that I'm a stranger. Whether or not he lets me pet him is something I'd be willing to wait on and be patient with if I have to. If he bites me hard, I probably won't take him.

George came from a woman who had 50 other birds. Which I beleive is part of the problem. She got him cause she thought her other grey was lonely. Anyone who has that many birds cannot take care of them the way they deserve to be taken care of. Give the the attention that they need to be happy. Goroge bites and doesn't really like to be spritzed with the aleo vera juice. He bites at the bottle too. He came to us with the feathers plucked from under his wing. And he's still plucking. But no were else just under his wing. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't take anything for George. I Love him to death. He was the best present my husband has ever gotten. Even with all the bites blood and scars. I know it will take time for him cause I really think he had a stressfull home before us. I do think that after reading everything you have written you have a good head on your shoulders, and you will make the right decision for you. A rehomed bird deserves a good life just as much as a baby bird. And remember just because the bird reacts good to at the home he's used to, doesn't mean he is going to act the same once you get it to your house because it will probably be stressed out from the new enviroment. So if you get the older bird.! Love it to death and remember take your time and come here and ask many many questions. Some of the smartest bird grey folks are on here. Oh by the way I'm from Texas also. Up buy Tyler. Good luck

Hi, Madness,

Before Spencer, the baby TAG that I am bringing home after the holidays, picked me, I was looking at getting an older bird. The thing that turned me off was none of the owners of the ones that I looked at could give me an avian vet reference. This was essential for me. I am getting Spencer from a bird store that guarantees the health of there birds. They have their birds checked 4 times before sending them to their new homes. In addition, their vet is my avian vet, so I am sure he's healthy.

Anyway, point is, with whatever bird you get, at least get a vet reference.

How did you get on when you went to see the grey.I hope you have not been too disheartened by the responses. Everyone has both yours and the birds best interests at heart. As you have now realised everyone has different experiances and opinions. I hope you can now make the right decision for you.Some people have had wonderfull experiances with re homed birds ,myself included but now you know that there can be problems. On saying that no baby grey is certain to be perfect, that too depends on the environment it came from ect.You do seem to have taken in peoples experiances and listened even when what was said may not have been what you wanted to hear, I congratulate you on that and truly wish you luck in your quest for a grey. Please keep us informed og your decision.