NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

rehoming a CAG

emsgma214

:sick: I know, I'm a bad parrot owner. We overwhelmed ourselves with too many parrots. The first one was so pleasurable we wanted more. Greedy. I have found what I consider to be a great home for my CAG but I am looking for advice to make the transition as smooth as possible for him. I had a plucker b4 and don't want that 4 him. The lady has come over 3 times now and we just sit and talk with him on the table. She is willing to go as slow as she needs for a smooth transition. What else could we be doing? She is not forcing herself on him...

How many birds do you have? I have 7 and I'm at my limit but there isn't a hope in Hell that I would rehome any of them. Does your Grey not fit in some how or is he attacking your children or is there a health issue like an allergy to the dander. Please help me to understand why you would get a bird just to get rid of it. Does the woman who is taking your Grey have experiance with large birds and is your bird tame?

How many birds do you have? How old is the one you want to re-home and how long have you had him?

Please take time to think what you are doing, sometimes when you have multiple birds it can be a bit overwhelming but there may be ways in which we can help you if you explain the reasons for re-homing.

Caroline.

I'm not gonna ask you why you're doing what you're doing. You obviously have reasons which you feel are legitimate.The other person has seen the bird and likes him and is willing to take him. You should also give the cage to the person. You should tell the person that the cage must be also taken at the same time as she takes the bird. Put the bird in a pet carrier, the size that you would normally use for a small animal such as a rabbit. Have the person be there when you do it. Give the bird to the person and tell her to immediately go home with the bird and put the bird in it's cage as soon as possible. Giving a bird away doesn't mean it will become a plucker even if the moving is not done right. Tell the person about the bird's daily habits. Give the person the food it normally eats plus it's toys. If there's a playstand that the bird uses, give it to the person.

Afterward, it's the new person's responsibility concerning the bird. It's pretty simple.

PS--I'll add one other thing---Ask the person if she needs more help conconcerning her new bird. If she says yes, that it would be nice,

just give her the name of our website and the members here will guide and help her out in any way possible

greyforums.net forums

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/12/03 19:07<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/12/03 23:59

Have you considered taking him to her house yourself? Gryph's owner did this and I think he felt more at ease having her bring him in and put him on his cage in my house. Dave's advice about sending him with the cage he has now is excellent. It was a major security blanket those first weeks!

Gryphon made the transition really well. No plucking or visible distress of any kind.

Hi, a lttle insight to my situation. I had 3 parrots, 5 dogs, 2 cats a horse and a cockatiel. Have been married 24 years and we are going to go our separate ways. Hubby lost job of 13 years and can't find another one. I can't afford the house and he obviously won't have a house. We gave our cockatoo to his nephew and now Cosmo, 4 y/o has someone very interested in him. She and her husband have been over 3 times and we just sit around and talk while he is on the table. They talk to him and gently try to approach him with a toy or treat, if he objects, we just visit again. I am giving them his cage. They want me to be active in his life and have asked me if I will take him when they go on vacation in the summers. I have thought of bringing him to their house and staying with him for an hour or so, at least until he appears to have calmed down some. We talked about them not interacting with him for at least a few days to let him "settle in". Believe me, I don't want to do this but he doesn't get out and craves attention I can't provide in addition to other circumstances. He HATES my hubby, draws blood if he tries to feed him but he learns his vocabulary from him. Hubby refuses to work with him due to his aggressiveness towards him. The new owners are very patient and are doing all kinds of research. That's why he hasn't gone yet. They want it to be done right, for him. She is a psychologist and they had a pionus before and they have a barn cat, a dog and 3 horses. 2 or 3 adolescents also. I was going to have them take the cage, set it up and then I would bring him. I am looking for other ways, other comments to make this as easy for him as possible. I never expected this to happen, I know how attached they get and how long they live. This has not been an easy decision for me. Sometimes there are circumstances you just can't control.:dry:

I totally understand where you are coming from. Gryph's previous owner couldn't give him the time and attention he needed because of unforeseen life changes and it really hurt her to part with him. I'm just sorry anyone has to go through it and grateful that I haven't.

It sounds to me like you are doing everything right in terms of finding a good home for your bird and I can tell you that, in similar circumstances, Gryphon adapted very quickly, loves us both, and is a happy little dude.

Welcome emsgma214!!

I am sorry to hear of the huge life change taking place. Thats a tough one.

I applaud you on your actions and the responsibility you feel in finding not just a home for your pets, but the right home with people that you are prequalifying. Your plans on making the transition for your Grey sound wonderful and spot on. It's great that they also have taken to opportunity you offered to help in the transition.

Dave gave good advice and it seems you had already set most of his items to do in place.

Please do tell the new owners about this forum where, as you can see we care greatly for both the people and their Greys and other pets. :-)

Firt off, it isn't necessary for you to give us your personal story concerning your family situation. You have nothing to prove to us as far as why you're doing what you're doing. The basic reason that you're doing this is to make life easier for you and the bird and possibly other animals in your house.

but basically, you're still asking for other ways, other comments concerning what has to be done. There are no other ways. People here have given you variations of the basic things you have to do. You're judging how your bird is gonna react when a move is made to another house, another owner. For some reason, you seem to be thinking that specific things are involved in what you have to do, like some magic method that still exists.

This is a huge african grey board. Hundreds of people here own rehomed birds. The birds they have were taken at older ages than your bird. Your bird is still a baby which is much easier to give away. The birds that were rehomed to our people were in superb physical shape, terrible physical shape and everything in between. Some had come from bad situations in a home. Others came from great situations in a home. Many of these birds weren't neglected. Many of those birds that came from other homes were very neglected and everything in between.

There were all types of transition situations when that was done. You say that the other people also want it done right. Well, send them here. Let them make an effort to see what goes on. Let them read about people who did this in the past. They'll see that the ways to move a bird from one place to another is rather simple. I also say this because of one important thing they said and asked you to do.

"""""They want me to be active in his life and have asked me if I will take him when they go on vacation in the summers.""""""

Well simply put, that's not a good idea. The other people also have a responsibility to their animals. If they need bird sitters, let them find sitters. A bird shouldn't be put back to previous owners. The whole idea that you wanna accomplish is to cut yourself off with this bird so that it can start fresh with new people.

You'll have to make up your mind about the basics. Everyone has given you basics and also given you many methods of taking a bird from one place and putting to another place.

Who knows,maybe these people aren't really up to taking on a medium sized smart parrot. Just because they like the bird doesn't mean that they can give the bird what it needs but right now, you're in no position to decide that. AND in no way can we know that. I'll say it again..send them here where experienced people are will ing to be straight forward about different aspects of taking on a bird that originally was owned by someone else.

If they're afraid to join then you just come here, sign in and tell board members that the person who is going to start asking questions will be them qlthough it's always wise to belong to a board which will constantly feed information to new owners. Owning a pionus is nothing like owning a grey. 2 different birds, 2 different personalities, 2 different attitudes. So, it's up to you what you wanna do. We can only help just so much.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/12/04 19:31

I'm sorry about your situation, life happens and it isn't always pleasant. Dave, of course, is right you do not want to babysit later. Is it you are not sure or the potential owners are not sure if this change should be made. Have them log on here and read some of our posts and ask questions. If they are not sure perhaps you should keep looking for a new family. Good Luck on whatever you decide.

I'm not going to say it is right or wrong to babysit the grey while they go on vacation. It might be a bad idea, true, but it might not either. I think it just depends on how everyone involved handles it. Mainly you and your grey (emotionally). I rehomed an 5 year old eclectus and his previous owner who had him since he was hatched came to visit him about 3 months after we got him. Tigger (my eclectus) got so excited and his eyes got all dialated and he gave a couple big squaks. He was clearly very excited to see him. He went right too him and it was downright emotional. He was so excited I seen him bite the guys finger and he usually doesn't bite. Then when it was time for him to go I took him back and he bit my finger too. It wasn't out of meanness, it was excitement.

Anyway, I asked on the forum what people thought of that and they told me it was probably not a good idea. The ones that responded said it would only confuse Tigger or make him sad that he didn't go home with his "old dad" and I do understand that point, too. On the other hand Tigger was so happy to see him. I don't want him sad cuz his "old dad" left again without him & I don't want to confuse him either. I also wondered if Tigger might have actually liked having company. He was overly excited when the guy was over but he settled right down and back to normal shortly after he left. So I don't know if it is a good idea or not but if Tiggers previous owner wanted to see him again I would let him. He took such good care of Tigger and I could tell Tigger did like seeing him again. Just thought I'd toss out my experience when it happened and show another side of it. I wish you all the best and hope things smooth out for you.

I'm going to have to go along with everyone else and say that you shouldn't go back and see him...and I would think it even worst to bring him in while the new owners are going away for days or weeks at a time. Look at it from the birds point of view...he's taken away from his owner and brought into a strange new home. He gets settled in and all of a sudden in pops the original owner...and then they are gone again...then he's back with the original owner for a week...and then gone again. That would be more stress and heartbreak for me to put my grey through if hell freezes over and I had to rehome him. Once the bird is rehomed that should be that and if you want to still see him have the new owners send you pictures.

The other issue is if the couple you are thinking of giving him to are right for a grey. Most people that have larger birds really don't do much travel...and greys take separation from their owners really hard. If they are the "globe trotting" type I would look into a more home-body type owner to rehome your grey to.

I also have to agree that once you give your Grey up that should be it. To go back and birdsit for a couple weeks when they are gone will only cause unnessesary heartache and confustion for the bird I know this has to be very hard for you and I would just hate to be in your place. To give up my birds is just not an option for me. I met a woman a couple weeks ago who is homeless and living in her car with two macaws and an african grey. She cannot find an affordable place that will take her 3 birds and she refuses to part with them. I'm afraid I would be the same way with my birds. Icouldn't part with them when times get hard they are allot of what gives me hope and keeps me trying to make life better for myself and them. I am grateful that I never have to worry about that. So as long as I am physicly able I will be keeping my birds no matter what happens.

You have done all you can to find your grey a good home and his potential new owners have visited him a few times and are happy. I would send him off with all his toys and feed and his cage that he knows and make a clean break. If God forbid I ever had to part with my grey I could not cope with seing him again knowing he is not mine.That is up to you but I think your bird will do ok with these people who are sensitive to him emotional needs.

I agree, no visits after the move of your Grey to a new home.

30 Years ago we had a Saint Bernard my wife and kids, including myself loved dearly. We had him from the time he was a 6 week old fur ball until he was a 200 pound Mammoth at 6 years old.

Being such a HUGE dog and the Large home we owned at the time, we had some devastating events occur and had to move from a 2300 sqft home to a small apartment. Needless to say, Goliath needed a new home.

We finally found the right home for him on a 200 acre ranch where he could run freely and the new owner was a great man. He encouraged us to come and visit anytime. We 2x over the first 2 weeks.

After the last visit, the rancher asked if we would never come back. The reason was very sad. Goliath would moan, lay in one spot and not eat for 3 days after each time we visited. It was torture for him and the new owner.

Needless to say,it was hard, we still lovingly think of Goliath to this day and know he had a great life. We did speak with the rancher over the phone many years afterward and Goliath loved his new home with miles to run free. he lived to 14 years old and died a happy and much loved "Family Member" of the second family.