NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

feathers

Sammel1

African grey bitting or ripping ends of feathers off. Been going on for about three weeks. Have seen Dr O in toledo I'm sure someone herard of her. Being treated for liver problem that can be taken care of she says. But the feather thing hasn't stopped yet on most days. The grey is about year old

You are in the welcome room right now.

Hello Sammel1 and welcome to the family, so glad you have decided to join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and uour grey.

I am sorry to hear of your greys biting the ends of his feathers off, something has happened recently to cause this. Has anything changed in your household lately, it could be something you wouldn't think would matter but to a grey it might.

Do you react to him biting his feathers for if you are then you are just reinforcing the behavior, you need to ignore it so he won't think it is entertainment for him to see your reaction.

We do have lots of useful information in our many threads so read thru them at your leisure and do ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have some pictures of him you would like to share with us we would love to see him.

I keep referring to your grey as a he but do you know what sex it is and what is the name?

Hi Sammel, welcome to the forum.

Has your grey been ill for a period of time? What exactly is the liver problem and what treatment or meds is he on at the moment. Did the feather ripping start at the same time or after your grey was diagnosed with the liver problem?

Sorry to ask so many questions but it helps to get as much information as possible.

Caroline

Great question Casper, I was wondering the same.

Also, your Grey probably does not feel well and the feather damage could be a comfort habit he has developed to stop thinking about how terrible he feels.

I am so sorry to hear of his Liver problem, poor baby grey. Do you know what possibly caused it and how long it is going to take to treat it?

Yes he is a he Sammy is his name. Using Sammel1 for username Sammy wasn't av. Yes we were letting him get are attention when he was doing it but not no more. Since reading your reply. Friends of ours told us that a long time ago you refreshed are minds about it. Thanks Sammy is being cared for by Dr. Susan O in Toldeo since sammy baby years and this is the first thing we've ever had a problem with. Thanks for your concern. The only thing thats changed is about eight weeks ago we got a puppy but Dr O say she didn't think that was the problem. He's been tested and she says he's got a slite liver problem that she can correct. So were good there thank God. Liver problem something toxic she thinks. Somking but never around him. Non stick pans which we quick using. What else ??? Excuse my spelling on some words I didn't do well in english. But thanks again for your concern.

Larry

Hi Larry, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having health problems with your grey. It sounds like you are on the right track, taking him to an avian vet and having the problems taken care of. The feather chewing could be a result of the health problems or it possibly could be from the new puppy- greys are very sensitive to change and he could be getting less attention with the addition of the puppy to the house. Try getting his health problems resolved, spend a little more one on one time with him and also spray a couple times a week with 100% aloe vera juice to see if this helps. I hope Sammy is feeling better soon!<br><br>Post edited by: Lyric, at: 2008/12/03 23:19

Hi there from sammy

First of all thanks for your concern.

Have you heard of anybody using 100% aloe vera juice and works???? And were do you get it. This picking and ripping is driving Pam nuts and she's driving me nuts. Yes I'm concern of are bird to like all are other animals.

Larry