NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I could use a little help

margieb

Hello,

We have a 13 yr old CAG that we had adopted when he was 12 and wanted to add another CAG to our family.

We got a new baby two weeks ago from a breeder and she is just now about 4 months old. Her hatch date is Aug. 3, 2008.

When we went to visit her at the breeders home, she seemed ok, a bit shy but they did have her in a flight suit and were able to handle her. One thing we noticed right away is that she always wanted to be on their shoulders and when they would go to take her off she would make a huge fuss and squawk and then they would just leave her on there. They said she was very bonded with them and enjoyed scratches at night.

Since we brought her home, I do not let her on my shoulder and if she hops up there I do take her off. She makes a big fuss whenever you ask her to do something. They said she was not trained to step up and I have been working on that with using a small piece of cashew to reward her when she steps up and that is helping quite a bit. However, she still seems to be very "stuborn" and does not really care for attention or scratches much.

I don't know for sure but it seems perhaps she got away with doing anything she wanted to do before even if they felt it was not appropriate? Could that be part of the problem? Or am I expecting too much from her? I do not force her to accept attention or affection however, I do insist that she does not go on my shoulder and that she steps up a few times while she is out playing.

I want her to "like us" but at the same time I do not want to allow her to be a "bully". She does not seem at all "scared" of us it really does appear that she tries to bully us into letting her have her own way 100 % of the time.

Do I continue to praise and reward her for good behavior and once she understands what we would like from her will the affection start to come? She has on a couple of occassions allowed us to give her scratches for awhile and seems to enjoy it.

If your new bird is only 4 mts old right now, there are no problems. If your bird showed irritation when being taken off of a shoulder at the place he originally came from, blame them for allowing that type of behavior to increase by not being more serious about what they're supposed to do when showing birds to customers.

"""She makes a big fuss whenever you ask her to do something."""

That depends upon what you're asking her to do. She's been there for 2 weeks and needs plenty of time to get used to new and hopefully permanent living quarters and that doesn't just pertain the actual house. You should be allowing her to show you what type of personality she has and that can't be done in 2 weeks.

Any type of actions or reactions you got when you took in that 12 yr old bird can in no way be compared to the actions and reactions of a baby grey.

"""However, she still seems to be very "stuborn" and does not really care for attention or scratches much.""""

That's all part of not knowing you, the house, the environment,the people, the habits that exist. Again, 2 weeks is much too short for these things to be accomplished.

""""I want her to "like us" but at the same time I do not want to allow her to be a "bully". She does not seem at all "scared" of us it really does appear that she tries to bully us into letting her have her own way 100 % of the time. """"

She's not bullying you. She's simply testing the waters to see how far she can go in that new house and those new people. You can't make a parrot *like you* The parrot will eventually decide when to give out some *liking treats* to it's owners. 2 weeks is too short for that to happen. First, her bag has to be slowly filled with *liking treats*. Right now it's empty.

"""They said she was very bonded with them and enjoyed scratches at night.""""

That may very well be true which can answer the situation concerning the lack of interest in you scratching her. Greys don't switch affections overnight.

Expect greys to be very obstinent about everything but don't confuse that with the word *bullying*.

What you're doing concerning the stepping up is fine. That's a necessity for both you and the bird.

""""Do I continue to praise and reward her for good behavior and once she understands what we would like from her will the affection start to come?"""""

You should constantly talk to her and give her things and not expect good behavior. You should spend this valuable time making close friends with her. That can't be done in 2 weeks. At 4 mts of age, greys are only trying to become birds. They don't know what bad behavior is all about yet. Just think for a minute---5 to 6 wks ago, your baby grey was having formula put down it's throat.

Keeping her off your shoulder is a good idea because of what happened in the past.

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for all your input and advice. We do constantly talk to her and she does show many signs of relaxing and starting to get comfortable. The stubborn part I was refering to was mostly when she is asked to come off of our shoulders. I offer for her to "come down" once and if she resits then I am just a bit more firm and then she will come off. I just wanted to make sure we are doing the correct things at such a fragile time and age for her. That is also the part that I refered to as her "bullying" is when she does not want to come off of our shoulder. Perhaps as you pointed out "bullying" was not the correct term to use.

She otherwise seems to enjoy being with us and until she gets comfortable enough and trusts us enough I have been showing her affection by talking to her and just sitting with her watching her play with her toys and shredding boxes.

Welcome Margieb!!

Dave always gives GreYt advice. :-)

One thing you might want to consider to get your new baby under a little more control, would be to stop her from getting on your shoulder. Just offer your hand and if she doesn't accept it, just sit by and talk to her and interact with her. If she does get on your hand, block the upper path of your arm to your shoulder so she cannot get up there.

Get her used to just being on your hands and forearms for now, if you can. The problem with the shoulder area, is you have no control over the bird once it's there. They can run back and forth, bite your fingers/hand etc. You really have no control in that position, they have complete control barring another person coming up and getting them off you.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)

She is so darn quick about getting up on your shoulder before you hardly have a chance to stop her. She flies really well!! She was fully flighted when we got her. We were really hoping to leave her fully flighted but with the new surroundings and new people, at first she would just take off and fly and crashed and then we were scared she would hurt herself so we asked the breeder what they suggested for a minimal wing trim to keep her safe from crashing...yet at the same time keep her safe from falling and getting hurt and to keep her feeling comfortable. They suggested having 5 feathers trimmed. That is what we had our vet do and she does not crash at all, yet she can still fly quite well and land perfect.

I have been getting much better at keeping her off of my shoulder to begin with :) takes some practice lol

I understand you can't make a bird "like you" or pick you we have 3 "re-homed" birds and two of them took a very, very long time to trust us. Calm talking constantly, giving them choices to come to me on their own free will, offering them a fun, safe environment and spending tons of time with them either one on one or just simply sitting by the cage talking and reassuring them has definately paid off. They both are very bonded to me now and will actually seek scratches and attention. We just never had a "baby grey" before and I wanted to be sure I am on the "right path" with her :) Today she actually laid in my arms like a baby would for the longest time allowing me to give her soft scratches on her neck...and she made the cutest "baby noises" and kept grinding her beak and then fell sound asleep!! I think I must be doing ok so far..lol That was the best feeling ever to have her feel comfortable enough with me to fall asleep in my arms!!!!

If you don't want your grey on your shoulder it requires some diligence on your part to keep her from going up there. As soon as she is on your arm you will have to keep the other arm ready to cut her off at the pass and continue with each arm until she realizes that she can't get up there. You might have to continue this for quite some time before she learns she will not be allowed up there.

It does sound like she is trusting you if she falls asleep in your lap so you must be doing something right, keep up the good work.

I always say if a grey is being tricky about getting off your shoulder, do not let it up there,regardless of age.I think it sounds like you are on the right track and I love that you are ensuring the grey is learning some commands and manners at an early age. It makes life easier when they get older.She sounds as if she is very at ease with you ,just take it slow