NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Shout out from St. Louis!

SPTN

Greetings all! I've just joined after reading lots of great info as a "guest" for the past couple of weeks. I'm in the process of searching for a baby male Congo African Grey who wants to be a part of my life and teach me new things.

I've done alot of reading/research, so I feel pretty comfortable about what I need to look for, what questions to ask, and hopefully what to avoid.

BUT...I'm sure many of you will have some cogent points to make based on your wisdom and experience, things that aren't always found in books.

So...I'm a sponge...bring it on...I'm open to suggestions from any and all as to reputable breeders, strategies, and any other good advice you are willing to offer this newbie. Peace!

Welcome SPTN!!

It's GreYt having you here. To be doing research BEFORE obtaining your Grey is always the best practice and it says tons about you in doing so.

One of the best things you can do when searching for a new Grey, is to try locally first. This gives you and the Grey to select one another through interaction BEFORE the day he/she is brought home. If you go the breeder\baby route, you will have some weeks to let a Grey pick you and be buddies before he/she comes home. This always make s the new home transition easier for the baby coming into a strange environment and meeting a new flock.

If you decide to explore the rescue/Adoption route, the same holds true, except you are now dealing with a mature bird that has baggage you will need to deal with.

Looking forward to your continued questions and good luck in finding just they right Grey for you. :-)

Hello SPTN and welcome to the family, so glad you could finally join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and this new grey you want to get.

You are doing the right thing in researching before actually making the plunge to get a grey, they are a lifetime committment and you need to know that one will fit in with your lifestyle and that you can provide what the bird needs to be happy and healthy.

I second Dan's recommendation of looking for a local breeder, that way you can actually see the bird and maybe have more than one to choose from and maybe one will be more responsive to you than the others. It is always best to be able to visit and interact with the baby before it is weaned and you can bring it home.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them at your leisure and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

What part of Virginia did you come from originally as I am from Virginia myself in Botetourt County.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome. Really glad you are researching first. I think a local breeder is the best if you have one. I am uncomfortable buying any animal from a pet store. I would think about rehoming also. There are so many who need a forever home. I would suggest finding an avian vet before bringing a Grey home. One is not always easy to find.

• 1 year later...