NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red Factor Grey's

CeasarsDad

Guest Monique

I've heard about Greys with red feathers on their bodies. The two theories I've heard as to cause have been nutrition or a damaged follicle (because it has beeen observed when feathers have been damaged off and then regrow they may be red).

• 2 months later...

So far Kip does not show any "red factor".

This is an interesting topic. Makes sense that some birds would have this trait...they obviously have the genes to produce red feathers (given the red tails). This gene may be activated in some birds during the production of feathers that are not usually "red". There are cellular mechanisms that control gene expression and my guess is that some birds lack the level of gene expression control that most have for this trait. I would be interested to see if this is completely benign (like some birth marks in people) or if there is a higher correlation with certain health issues in birds expressing this trait.

In addition it could be that many greys, during the course of their life, may express this red factor trait at some point. I would also be interested to hear from folks (Lidia?) that have had greys for longer periods of time to see if this trait has been transiently expressed?...B) or perhaps some birds that have expressed this early on in their lives "outgrow" it as they mature? Hmmm...<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/08/02 17:03

Hi HeatherStrella,

Does the redfactor always seem to be present from the same feather follicles, or does it move around as the feathers molt? Very interesting topic, could also have some evolutionary significance...maybe the redfactor birds have a better shot at mating or something in the wild! :P

Some of the baby Greys at our breeder have this redfactor. She told us this can disappear when they molt. But it can remain as well. She indicated its a gene that causes this.

The baby she has with the RF had it all over. Underbelly, 3 stripes down the back, and legs. She is a female.

Question: Are the Greys with the RF more female than male?? I think Cesar is a male, however, my experience has only been with female Greys.

Does anyone know about this?

Kim

I will try to get a pic of the female at the breeder on Saturday. She is so KOOL!

I'm going to do some research on this. It is a very interesting topic. I would like to know more. I'll share what I see if it is an addition to what is already posted.

Kim

I met a pink Grey last year. The weirdest thing I have ever saw. The man said the bird was normal as a youngster and pink feathers started to appear after the first molt until the bird came almost entirely pink, some feather which are gark grey mixed with pink. They are a salmon pink/orangy color. I am new to the board, and have not gone over hte rules on posting a linked picture, but if this is okay I have found a picture that ressembles him.

The man had his bird tested by three different vets and they found nothing wrong, so he says. It was just so weird seeing a grey like this.

The color is not the same as chicks that sometimes have red that I have seen. I heard that this red on chicks can sometimes be attributed (maybe only in part) to the hand feeding formula and how certain birds "react" to it). I have seen baby Greys where you can obviously see that the chicks feathers began comming in Grey and changed color about the time he was pulled for feeding.

I am very interested in this topic, and even more so after seeing the pink Grey. I never thought I'd have ever seen something like him in my life.

I met the man recently again and asked him if I can have a picture of his bird. If i ever get around to getting it (and with his permission of course) I will try to share it with you.

Post edited by: eve, at: 2007/08/02 04:11<br><br>Post edited by: eve, at: 2007/08/02 04:12

Oh, please do, Eve, I would love to see that, is it the pink of the rose breasted cockatoo? That is one of the prettiest birds I have ever seen.

Welcome to the family, Eve, I see this is your first post. I am glad you joined, do you presently have a grey or are you planning to get one? If you have any questions feel free to ask, we will try our best to answer as best we know how.:)

Thanks for the welcome Judy! I live with two Greys, a 6 year old that I have had since weaning and another 6 year old that I have lived with for six monthes. I will introduce you to them in an introduction post. Here is the pic of the Grey that looks like the one I saw...

It is more orangy then a rose breasted too and darker. The scallopping of the Grey feathers is there too.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7461/yaco04hn8.jpg

(ps. if you saw my question on birdmart, I did post there too, but I don't like using my real name on that site for some reason.. call it a "quirk")

Eve,

Thanks for getting permission and sharing this photo!

The Red on this Grey is shaded exactly as the Baby Grey at our Breeders that my Wife (Dayosmom) described in this thread.

It is not a Red/Red as when one feather goes in place of another. This Baby had Red from the time we first visited the at 8 weeks of age.

I have never seen a Grey, with as much Red, as in the photo you have provided.

The Red factor is still a mystery, that has not been seriously researched scientifically yet, as far as I can find.

Guest briansmum

wow that's amazing, i've never seen one that red before. i find it all totally fascinating. completely normal greys though, i found this vid of one

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dGSvtHlqh1U

brian has a few pink feathers on his legs. but then again he has a pink toenail and a pink tongue too... i've got a pink factor bird :P

I will post a pic of Finnigan...he has some red factor in his legs and a red feather or two on his shoulder. Nothing like the pic posted above. The vet said that the babies get this when the parents have allot of iron in their diet. She said, he may molt it out or he may keep it. Her name is Dr. Theresa Lightfoot and she has published at least one avian book that I know of, and is pretty well known. I only say that to let you know, she isn't an "avian vet wanna be". :ohmy:

Thanks for the info Christina. It would make sense that dietary factors could influence feather production/coloration. Other factors that "could" affect it would be environmental. Seems like there is still a lot of research that could be done on this topic. To my knowledge no one on this forum is an avain vet (though it would be nice to have some join!). But we do discuss things with the goal of sharing information, thoughts and learning more from each others experiences. B)<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/08/02 17:22

Just something else I will add, which kind of makes me "fishy" about the red Grey just being a "factor" and not a condition. I did not add this before cause it was late and I didn't want to write about this half-asleep.

Now, this man had told me that he went to three vets (he gave the names of three very competant Vets around here). But, I don't know if he's bluffing or not.

I noticed that the Grey had some serious cleavage; But not like "an Amazon that was raised on peanuts and sat on a perch all day". His breast was not "soft or squishy", but very firm and felt like muscle. Now I'm not a vet so I don't know... but could muscle have built up so much to give cleavage? Just thinking out loud, but could the red be due to an overactivity of some sort or hormone or something that could also cause the significant muscle mass? (I have heard that hormones can cause red feathers to pop up on Lovebirds- don't know how true that is though)

Or maybe it was fat, and the problem is in the liver or something? Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Another thing was the feathers. He had an abondant supply of powder, but his feathers felt different. Kind of like a Cockatoos feathers. More silky I guess is how I'd describe them. I didn't really want to touch the bird honestly, but is flew on me and I figured the damage has already been done, so might as well check it out (he was very social and confident, let me scratch and touch him).

So, sorry for the long post. I'm not judging this man, saying he's "lying" about having his bird going through a bunch of tests three times... but I have to take what he says with a grain of salt. Can never be too careful.

Needless to say, I let my curiosity get the best of me when I visited this bird, NEVER AGAIN. I just can't be sure that there is not something wrong.

I scared myself so silly that I went to my mom's, threw my clothes out outside and jumped in the pool, got her to bring me a towel only after my clothes were disposed of, then took a crazy shower and changed into her clothes. Then went to my friends and showered again and changed into her clothes just in case. It was embarassing, especially the pool part :blush:

If the man ever emails me the photo, I'll post it if it's okay with him.

PS Does the grey in the photo I posted appear to also have some "cleavag"e (I know its hard to tell from a picture). I thought some thing seemed off with his breast, but could be just because I am looking for it. Here is a picture where I circled what a find a bit weird, though maybe it is just the position of the bird.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x40/greyeve/redgrey.jpg

Sorry for writing so much, just thinking out loud. Hope that's okay.

(sorry for all the edits, lots of type o's in my english writing. I will try to proof read better net time)

Post edited by: eve, at: 2007/08/02 19:04

Post edited by: eve, at: 2007/08/02 19:06

Post edited by: eve, at: 2007/08/02 19:07<br><br>Post edited by: eve, at: 2007/08/02 19:08

This is an interesting topic, and I will have to post pictures of my bird Red. This is why I named her so. she has these Red feathers all over under her wings, she has one on each shoulder, and my favorite of all, she has a red one right over her heart it is just so damn cute. I couldn't help but fall in love with her the day I met her!

When I took her to the vet for her first check up when I rescued her, she said that it is just a chromosomal anomoly that causes this, and not a "disorder". I did learn though that according to African folklore these African Greys that had the Red on them were considered Regal, Prestigious, and to be all around good luck to be around. I can't say that I disagree with them. She also has a keyhole eye where her pupil is slightly different in one eye and shaped oddly, which supposedly means they're even tempered who knows! I will take some close up pics when I get home and post them for ya'll to see!

Makena's feathers are a violet/purple color. Especially if you hold him up in the light you can really see it. It is mostly on his underside and legs. I tried to get a picture, but I don't really have the best camera so it didn't really come out. I will keep working on it though. It is really pretty... has anyone else seen this? He is 11 weeks old and it seems to be getting more apparent.

Makena, Tonka also has a purple sheen to his back belly and legs. The best way i can describe the color, is how white looks under a black light, except the color is more lilac then purple. He is six. Is your Grey a very light color, Tonka is a powder Grey color on the wings and head.<br><br>Post edited by: eve, at: 2007/08/02 23:32