NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Another molting question

nims

Hi,

So I have had Ice for nearly a month now and I have noticed thay his feathers come away easily when I am giving him a head scratch and have notices feathers at the bottom of the cage when cleaning.

I have not observed any plucking, he talks, whistles, has birdy company (Indy) and spend mininum of 4 hours outside his cage with us.

Is he molting? I am only asking this as I have never had a bird go through a molt and am not sure what the tell tell signs are.

Thanks

Nims

He probably is Nims, seeing those feathers at the bottom of the cage is usually a sure tell sign and especially if you don't see any places chewed off of the feather shaft.

Sorry that no one answered when you posted the original question, must have gotten lost in the shuffle because we usually are quick to give some answers.:blush:

nims, I have two of mine going through a molt at the moment. Keeko is going through his first at 9 months and Charlie is 17 months. There seem to be a lot on the forum molting at the moment.

I am sure he will be going through a molt. I know it can be a bit worrying when you keep finding the feathers but try not to worry to much.

Charlies feathers are coming away easily as well, like you say you only need to give them a head scratch.

Will Ice let you mist him? If so be sure to keep up with regular misting.

Keep us updated though if you do have any concerns or you feel there are signs of Ice plucking but I dont think there will be.

Caroline.