NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

harness

dhorje

I think, in training parrots, "Patience" is the most importand word. Does your grey fly indoors? Does Koko come to you on recall? Koko has to feel completely comfortable doing that before you let him/her fly outdoors, even with a harness.

As for the harness: Koko has to feel completely comfortable wearing it. You have to reward him/her for stepping into it, and wearing it. You can take him/her on the hand and walk around, first indoors, later outdoors.

]

Grey parrots are in nature very shy. Little field-studies have been done so far, because it's very difficult to get near them. The nature of a grey parrot is to instinctively fly away at the least notice of danger. They have a 360 degree vision, and are keen on the slightest movement. So many clipped birds will fall down, because they instinctively fly away while they can't. A grey wearing a harness for the first time wants to fly but isn't used to be pulled back by the leash, so he falls down.

I think flying on a leash requires a lot of technique. Maybe Shanlung has written some useful material, for Tinkerbell also flew on a leash.

• 2 weeks later...

Be very, very careful flying outdoors with a harness. It's critical that the leash be attached to you -- not holding it or looping it around your wrist. Biggest cause of harness accidents is that it comes loose from the person.

Some links on harnesses & harness training here too:

http://likambo.com/flyblog/2008/11/early-training-on-a-harness/

I will also be posting detailed pictures and instructions for making custom harnesses on my blog in the next few days or so.

raz

I think that if you go back to the DVD that came with the harness you will find, like Talon pointed out that it is to loose. And also in one of your pics it appears that on of the body straps is twisted. Mika has a harneaa and is should fit snug not tight just snug with you able to slip one finger under. I find that the DVD answers all the questions.

Carolyn & Mika

No problem, she looks like she is giving you the evil eye in the first pic because of the harness. Mika was very put out when we first started with it now he is fine. Because of the cold weather here we cant go out side but once every 2 days I put it on and we just walk around the house or I play with him while he's wearing it so he keeps being a good sport about it when Spring finally comes and we can go outside again.

Let me no how your making out with it.

They are so funny with new things lol

Carolyn & Mika

These are great pictures of Koko in his harness. I purchased a harness but frankly am a coward when it comes to taking Ana Grey outside in one, so have been reluctant to even use it. I am very curious about everyone else's ventures in this setting though. Perhaps your success can take any fears away. Please keep us undated on your progress.

The Aviator Harness comes with a DVD that is very good, on how to start with the harness and the follow through.

We watched this video many times before I even introduced the harness to Mika, by doing this and not pushing he enjoyed the challange of the harness and still does.

It just takes time and work.

Carolyn & Mika

Initially Koko didn't like the harness. She bit the harness whenever I put it on her. She gets used to it pretty fast. She now knows how to bow her head down for me to put the harness over her head and has stopped biting the harness when we were out walking.

So far she has flown twice with the flightline attached.

I no longer fear that my CAG would fly away. The harness is very safe.