NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

looking for help plus I am a newbie here

Hello to all the Bird and Animal Lovers out there.

I am new here but am so glad that I found you folks here. My CAG SilverStarr starting pulling her feathers out and as much as I try to distract her, without her knowing that I see what she is doing, she continues to keep doing it. She is almost 6 yrs old so I am concern about her puberty (excuse my spelling please)is it to soon or when do they start? If you look at all my pictures you will see about how it made have come about but then I am not to sure about that. She is still really active and talks to the dogs and people when they come over. She whistles and sings songs plus she hums alot. She barks and says hello baby and what is the baby girl doing. She talks alot. She seems the same except for the pulling of the feathers. There are pictures of her where she is showing a ring around her collar. I don't mean that joking but I wanted to show so when I talk about it you will know what it is that I am saying. Could anyone please help her. I was told that she maybe looking for a mate but I would rather not as then she wouldn't be a pet. I was told that they changed when they are used for breeding and I don't want her to change but just continue being happy with all of her feathers. Many thanks and God Bless, Linda..SilverStarr

----Treat the Animals the way you would like to be Treated! 6_1_.jpeg

6_1_.jpeg

Hello Linda and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and SilverStarr.

We will try to help you with your problems with your grey, plucking is one of the most difficult things to deal with a grey as there are many reasons why they do it and it is not easy to find why and get them to stop.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so read thru them at your leisure and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

I see you have included a picture of SilverStarr and she is a beauty, thanks for sharing it with us.

Hiya Linda and welcome to the forum.

Im so sorry to hear that Silverstarr is plucking.

Plucking can be caused by medical or behavioural issues so we will need some more information so we can eliminate certain things and try and help.

Has Silverstarr been to an Avian vet recently for a full wellness check just to see there are no medical problems?

There are lots of experienced members on here who have dealt with birds with plucking problems, I am sure you will get some great advice off everyone.

You have taken the first step by posting. I hope someone can offer some good advice.

Caroline.

Hi Linda, welcome here. SilverStarr is a beautiful name for your girl. Have you had her long?

A vet check is usually the first step in plucking issues, once a vet has ruled out physical causes then you can move on to other issues. Do you bathe/spray your grey regularly? Many of us use aloe vera juice to spray our birds, it helps with dry skin and itchiness. You must also think if anything has changed in your environment to cause the plucking, any new pets, new furniture, change in your schedule? Try not to react at all to the plucking, she will take this as attention and may continue just to get your love. I hope you are able to get this under control before it gets worse. Best of luck to you!

Many thanks to all of you for your advice. I played a DVD while I was gone so I don't know if that might of bothered her or not. It was of all species of birds and the noises that they make and the socialization that they do. I have changed her toys. I don't pay any attention when she is plucking. I wait and then asked her what is the girl doing and she replies what is the baby girl doing? Then we go through her songs and other things that we do on a daily basis. Freckles when we got him put his feet on the cage to see what was in it and she growl at him and he got down. I have introduced them to each other and Freckles is afraid of her. I didn't let her out of her cage for the first month because of him and not knowing how he would act with her but now I know. I have had her since 2003 when she was born. She was at a vet at one time long ago but not recentley. Apparently this is what I need to do. I can't do it until after the 1st of December as that is when we have extra money. I do spray her twice a week but I am so worried about her now that she has her neck bare and some of her chest. I mist her not spray as I don't want her to get cold. Other than the vet is there anything else that I could be doing until December 1st?:( Thank you for the Welcome Mat as it was so nice of you folks. Many thanks again, Linda...

Treat animals the way you would like to be treated! 5_1_.jpeg

5_1_.jpeg

I am by no means an expert at this, and never had a problem with Mika plucking but it was recommended by my vet on his first wellness check not to play the bird cd's over and over for him when we were at work just music cd's or tv. I now leave the radio on a timer for 2 hours and it goes of, and the tv with a timer on it goes on in about another 2 hours, so in between there is a break and quiet. Also you mentioned Freckles, do you no if he goes and visits the cage when you are out, this may scare the bird and Star may feel threatened by the dog.

I only mentioned this because with our Doberman we put chairs in front of the cage for the first couple of weeks so as the dog could not get close, they could see each other but not to close up. After that we started to remove the chairs when the dog got used to the cage and bird being there.

There are many people out there that can offer you advise on plucking as they have gone through it, and I am sure they will. Hope every thing works out well for both of you.

Carolyn & Mika

Welcome Linda, SilverStar and the whole flock\pack!!!

In your profile you wrote: "The only change that I can think of is the lost and acquiring of another dog. I was told that she maybe grieving for a mate."

If the timing of the plucking began with the loss of your dog and then the adoption of another, that could be the root of this behavioural change. Along with the stopping of the DVD that may have been driving her crazy too. :-)

It's really hard to pinpoint the root cause of plucking at times. The others have given you suggestions, such as getting a thorough vet checkup to it is not an underlying health issue.

When you say you mist her, is it just water or are you using Aloe Juice at 100% strength? If your not, please start using Aloe Juice. You can find it at Walmart or at a health food\vitamin shop type store. This well help sooth any irritation she may be experiencing.

Looking forward to hearing more from you :-)

As already advised. Take her to a good Avian Vet and have her checked with blood work to rule out any physical reason for this behavior.

Most plucking I have seen is do to stress which can be brought on by a number of things. Loss of an owner, separation from the owner, other pets attacking the birds cage, temperature/climate wrong ie too cold or hot where you are keeping her, boredom, lack of mental stimulation, lack of physical activity.

After your vet check can you tell us how you inteact with her and her environment on a routine basis?

Some birds like my Cockatoo require a lot of physical interaction while others do not. Each is an individual so you must deal with each one based upon that birds needs.

Thak you Carolyn for your advice. I played the DVD for 3 hours while I was gone. When I first played it she was listening for intently that I left it on but I see what you are saying and I thank you for that. As far as Freckles go he is afraid of her and goes into the computer room to hide underneath my desk. He was attracted at first because of her dropping of food. She likes to throw food out of the cage to the dogs to eat. She thinks that is really funny.Thank you for your time.

SilverStarr...Linda

"Treat animals the way you would like to be treated"!

Hello Danmcq,

When I mist her it was with water but now I see to use Aloe Juice. You all are giving me good advice that I didn't know of. I thank you for that ;).

When I playd the DVD it was only for 3 hours but I like Carolyn idea to set timers for tv and radio.

I thought also about the lost of Sissy and then the new Freckles in regards to the change in routine. She calls Freckles and tells him that he is a good boy and asks him if he wants out in my tone of voice. Freckles starts to the door and stops when he sees that I am not up to let him out. It is so funny :laugh: to watch SilverStarr and just to enjoy her until death takes one of us home. I say that because I have had my animals so long and now it seems like I am loosing them because of their age. I am 63 so I just enjoy life and make memories of every little thing that comes along. My daughter said in keeping SilverStarr it will be like me still being there as she talks like me and sneezes, cough, whistle too. Than you for your time and I do appreciate all that you folks are telling me.

take care and God Bless,

SilverStarr..:) ..Linda

"Treat animals the way you would like to be treated"!<br><br>Post edited by: SilverStarr, at: 2008/11/26 03:55

Thank you AlphaWolf,

I appreciat you taking the time to give me advice. I checked in room temperature, food and other changes in the house. The only stress that I could see would be the lost of Sissy (my momma dog which is a minpin/cocker mixture) as Silver still calls for her to be let out and tells her that she is good girl and does she want to play. I tell Silver that she is gone when she says those things but it doesn't erase the hurt that I still feel in grieving for Sissy. Freckles gets along with all my animals and hides from Silver when she is out of her cage.

The only thing (and I hope it won't be to late)is after the 1st of December is to take her to the avian Vet. Then I can cross that off the list. My daughter said she has some Aloe Vera (pure) for about a year that has never been opened. How long does it last or can it still hurt her because it is to old.

thank you much,Linda

6_1_-3e61f2ba4d7777df96689bea090342e1.jpeg

6_1_-3e61f2ba4d7777df96689bea090342e1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Linda, hopefully you have been able to take SilverStar to the vet and there is nothing wrong healthwise. Spraying with aloe vera juice is one of the best things to do in my opinion. The unopened juice should be all right to use. Keep it in the refrigerator though once it is opened. It is available by the gallon at WalMart in the pharmacy section.

Precious began calling my Kitty for the first time this week. Kitty died in April so I think Greys have very long memories.