NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Surprisingly Smart, is this normal?

Mingus

I've lived with parrots all my life, and raised some super smart ones. But Kofi, my 5-month-old Timneh has learned to step up, say hello as a greeting, say peekaboo whenever I peed around a corner, say poo poo when he does one, say tickle when he wants one or when he scratches himself, and sometimes attempts to say other things on the spot as I say them. His voice is scratchy and hoarse (still just a baby), but he is increasingly understandable. I've lived with Amazons who pick things up quickly, but this boy is amazingly quick.

Have you had this same experience with your grey, or did I just get really really lucky? I'd love to hear about it.

"""""""""say peekaboo whenever I peed around a corner, say poo poo when he does one,""""""

This is definitely a new method of accomplishing a certain thing. The administrators sat down and had a very serious meeting and the the vote was 4 to 1 in favor of putting your new method into our library for future use. many people try so many things and when a new method arrives, people get extremely excited because they hope it will work for their bird. Congrats on your new discovery.

Tyco has a very large vocabulary and always has to put her 2 cents worth in when ever me and my daughter are talking she speaks in context and even asks for things that she want like help picking up her toys and different foods that she wants. I didn't have her as a baby but I know that she learns very quikly. It definatly sounds like you are going to have to watch what you say around her she will be picking up new things that should not be repeated.:laugh: :blush: :laugh:

I read an article that TAGs usually start talking at around 5-6 months and CAGs usually start talking at around the one year mark.

My TAG that is 8 months old started talking around the 4 month area (she started sayinguh oh every time she pooped and said pretty bird) My male TAG is learning very fast from the female. Everything she does, he has to do.

Everyone thinks their grey is the smartest, no one gets on here and talks about theirs being the dumbass of the bunch now some of us humans are another story entirely:laugh: don't get your hackles up as I was only kidding:whistle:

I think congratulations are in order and may I ask how you accomplished this for the enjoyment of the members on this forum.

OK, should I be worried about my girl, Gracie? She was born last March, which makes her 8 months now. We whistle to each other, and click or cluck, but she is not talking yet.

Is this unusual? I mean she is active, curious and playful; but alas, no trying for words or other imitations.

I didn't decide to have a CAG for a companion because of talking, but it would certainly be interesting. And after reading "Alex and Me", I was kind of hoping...

Any suggestions?

No, definitely don't be worried. Congos usually take longer to start talking. It's normal. With my birds I just talk all of the time as we interact, name objects, play games, etc. I usually ignore whistles because it's easier for them to whistle, and they may not be motivated to speak. So pay more attention to verbal babbling than you do to the whistles. I'll bet anything she will start talking.

Perch, keep on whistling with Gracie. Greys use whistles as contact calls so repeating back to them helps maintain the flock bond. Besides I find it very enjoyable to have duets with Misty and it is obvious that he loves it as well. He has a "tune" that is his signature but he likes to play variations to me that I repeat back to him . He then makes a small change and adds some extra notes and seems to expect me to follow which I try to do. This will go on until I just can't keep up :)

Communication is a two way thing and I think if we expect our greys to learn human words then we should learn grey words as well.

You bird is still very young and she may well be practicing when she is alone !

Some may not start until they are well over a year old. Each is different just like human babies.

It is important to give your words a meaningful context that your parrot can relate to, so use words like "step up" or "come on" in context. When you offer her water say "water" or if you bring her out of her cage say "come out".

Introduce her to other people. I use the form "Hello X" they say "Hello Steve"

I say "X this is Misty" then X says " hello Misty". I usually repeat the whole thing again. Obviously I prime X beforehand. Misty very quickly learns peoples names this way.

Be patient she will come on in her own time.

Steve n Misty

:)<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2008/11/26 15:26

judygram wrote:

no one gets on here and talks about theirs being the dumbass of the bunch

LOL Judy!!!

Now here's a smart Parrot :-)

Wanda's dishwasher quit working, so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told the repairman, "I'll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I'll mail you a check."

"Oh, by the way don't worry about my bulldog. He won't bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT, under ANY circumstances, talk to my parrot!" "I REPEAT, DO NOT TALK TO MY PARROT!!!"

When the repairman arrived at Wanda's apartment the following day, he discovered the biggest, meanest looking bulldog he had ever seen. But, just as she had said, the dog just lay there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his work.

The parrot, however, drove him nuts the whole time with his incessant yelling, cursing, and name calling. Finally, the repairman couldn't contain himself any longer and yelled,

"Shut up, you stupid, ugly bird!"

To which the parrot replied, "Get him, Spike!"

Perch, Andrew's Youtube suggestions on teaching your Grey to talk. He's also a member of grey forums. Sadly his bird was lost. But his training suggestions (and now his safey suggestions) are top-notch. Go to this website. www.youtube.com/profile?user=kskiwi

I would add that this discussion panel is excellent. Not everyone will agree about everything all of the time, and that is what makes a discussion constructive. But I say, whisle to your parrot if you want your parrot to whistle.

Misty whistles the most beautiful tunes and he uses human words in context. Whistling like flying is part of being an African Grey. If you respect that you will have a happy and well balanced and smart chatty bird IMHO.

:cheer:

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2008/11/26 18:39