NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

african grey outdoors UK?

shelleyblake

Hi there

my mother-in-law has an allergy to our african grey, and although she stopped coming to our house, she says she is still getting an allergic reaction (tight chest) when we go to visit her. I am lothed to part with our grey as he is such a lovely bird and great company. The only option we can come up with is housing him outdoors in an aviary linked to our garage so he will have shelter in the garage with an outdoor pen for flying.

I wonder if any one has any advise for this, will he be warm enough in the uk, we live in the channel islands so we have milder winters? do we need heating in the garage? will he be lonely on his own?

Any help/advise would be great!

many thanks

shelley

Hi Shelley,

I'm no expert, but I've heard it is possible to keep greys outdoors in the UK. I think you would need some form of heating in the garage though, especially in the winter. I think he would be lonely, and the only time I've heard of people doing this is when they have several birds to keep eachother company. In your case, I think it would be particularly difficult, as he's obviously a part of the family at the moment, and it would be very difficult for him to adjust to such a different living environment, even if you did bet him some chums.

I'm a medical student, and have worked in asthma and allergy research for the last 3 summers. Have you tried getting an air filter? I've just got one having heard about them on this site - they're meant to get rid of up to 99.9% air-borne allergens. And if you haven't already tried it, go round to your mother-in-law's house as soon as you've all showered and changed your clothes, so you aren't taking any allergens with you? (Are you taking the parrot with you?). I'd also advise your mother in law to go to see her GP to get checked out - she should ask for a skin prick test to see if she's really allergic, or if she has another problem. This isn't professional advice, as I'm not yet qualified, but they're things that have worked for alot of other people.

Hope it helps,

Julia

thanks for the support

I have been wondering about this "allergic reaction" for some time, it seems to be rather sporadic and worse some times more than others which seems a little odd. she has gone for testing this week so will be interested to see the results. I am cross as she is asthmatic and smokes!!! so doesn't seem to be doing anything to help herself?

I rather wonder if it is to do with her being annoyed she can no longer come to visit!

Archie is such a character and it pains me to think he will be outside and not chatting at me all day. We have had him 6 years now.

I wonder about these air filters, does anyone have any further info please?

many thanks

shelley

Yes, Please go to this sight and read what this air system does. Also, read the testimonials. I think this will solve your problem.

www.aircleanersforbirds.com

I have 6 in my house and I love them. very easy upkeep, less dust, and my husband & I no longer wake up with headaches in the am. The air is must less dusty, and smells clean!

If you call the 800 number, you'll learn more with no sales pressure.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

I don't think your grey would be very happy alone in the garage.

Hi Shelley,

I'd agree with you on several accounts - I don't suppose you could put your mother in law in the garage instead?! (Only joking...). It certainly doesn't sound like a straight allergy.

I got my air filter from B&Q - it was about £39, and has a separate ioniser (apparently it can be damaging to birds, so I don't put it on when Casper's in the room). There are also alot available on-line, and they seem to start at around £45.

Hope this helps,

Julia