NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

would i suit owning a grey?

tawny2nat

i am looking at getting an african grey parrot but want to make sure i would be a suitable owner before i do, i am married and have 4 children 5 and under. but due to a muscle condition am unable to go out much so spend most days at home. i want a pet but my husband is allergic to cats and dogs so am unable to have them, i kept budgies as a child we had an aviary of about 40 and my father was a breeder. could any one please tell me how noisy greys are as i have had mixed info on this from different sites what do i feed them and what size cage do they need, how do they react to family situations as a parrot that didn't get on with kids would be no good ny info you can give and advice would be appreciated:)

I am glad you are asking this question before you rush out and get one since they are long lived creatures you must be sure you can provide what is necessary for them to be well adjusted and happy.

I am not sure one would be the best choice since you have 4 children under the age of 5, children of that age tend to be loud and quick moving, exactly what scares greys so much. A bite to one of your children could be severe and leave a lifelong scar but if you are willing to keep the children a safe distance unti they reach an age where they can better understand the complexities of having a grey in the house then maybe it can work.

Greys as a whole tend to be one of the quieter parrots, as the cockatoos, macaws and conures tend to be louder but they are vocal at several times during the day and most are not screamers. But with young children making a lot of noise sometimes they feel they must compete and so they can be loud but then again it depends on what you consider loud.

Some of the other members will chime in with their opinions soon and maybe give you some other things to think about but ultimately it is your decision but think about it long and hard before you committ to one.

Yes, Judy has given great advice and so has Mistyparrot. I was going to ask also about the husbands alergies. Many people are allergic to their dust and dander and don't find out untill after they have purchased a grey. I just rehomed an amazon parrot because the owners daughter was alergic and the lady didn't care of it anyway:angry: . It's a tough call. Greys are wonderful pets but with all the kids and the alergy risks I'd be a leary of it:unsure:

They also require a daily attention, out of the cage time daily and just lots of attention in general. They like to be considered part of the family and included in many things. I have rescued 2 parrots, one being a grey (Baxter) and the other an amazon & I would have to tell you that it is a life long commitment to them. They are more needful that parakeets. They are so smart and need daily interaction and toys to keep them occupied. If they do not get this it can turn into a bad situation for both the owner and the grey.

It's great that you are asking in advance and am sure you will make the right decision if a grey is right for you or not.