NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice needed

pam311

We are looking at adopting a 5 yo CAG whos current owner doesnt have time for him. He likes males more than females . I work from home and he will be primarily cared for by me during the day and hubs after 5. is it possible to get him to like females?

That's a question that doesn't have a set answer. Some will eventually change, some won't, some will eventually like both sexes, some won't. It's a matter of having the bird in your house for quite a while and learning all about the bird's nature. Maybe he preferred males in his other house but will change in this house. Maybe he needs to be around a woman more than he has. An older bird has some situations that have developed and it takes time for slight changes to happen. If the bird is gonna be slightly neglectedbecause he might not like you, it's best not to take the bird both for your sake and the bird's sake.

I have talked with the owners and we are planning on meeting Siver tomorrow. The wife says he doesnt bite her but she is afraid of him so she doesnt interact much. They are not asking a hugh rehome fee they want Silver to have a home that he will get the attention he deserves. I have 2 other birds, a quaker and a parrotlet so I know it can be a long journey to gain trust.

Is there anything I should specifically ask the owners tomorrow?

I would ask for as much history on the bird as possible.temperement,vet checks,was he hand reared,what is his diet,any hatch or sexing certificates,has he had any blood work done,why are they parting company with him,where was he purchased,how many homes has he had,will he step up,what sort of routine is he used to. The list could go on.Just go with your instincts. If something does not feel right ask about it.

Hi Pam 311,

I recently rehomed a grey, his name is Ice and he is 4years old.

He prefers women to men (so I in luck!) he doesnt like my hubby very much and he cant touch him at all. If he wants to come out of the cage he has to wrap his hand in a towel before he steps up, where I dont have to do that.

Having said that i have only had him for a few weeks so I cant really comment on whether he will warm to my hubby eventually as it is early days.

I think Dave007 has given you some good advice.

I hope this helps!