NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

gurgling/cracking noise

JustSarge

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me out, not sure if this is a problem or not but Im concerned. This is my first Grey, got him in Sept from my son as a birthday gift.

Sarge is 2 years old, has adjusted very well to our house and seems to just love me. He talks, sings, and is eating fine in addition to having normal stool. When I brought him home I had blood work done on him and tested for chlamydia, which was negative and blood work was fine. WBc was a little elevated but could have been stress of blood draw. Did a fecal and it was also negative. He is on pelleted diet of Lafieber and also has nutra berries, and veggies.

My question is Sarge makes this gurgling/crackling sound when I pick him up or hold him close. Only makes the noise when he would be excited. Excitement of being handled, held close, but it stops as fast as it starts. He has no watery eyes, no nose discharge. Is this a normal noise greys make? Someone said they make a growling noise. Not sure if this is the noise I am hearing or not.

My vet does not think it is anything but he is not a bird vet, he sees them but is not an expert on them.

Hope this is not too dumb of a question.

Hello JustSarge and welcome to the family, so glad you have joined us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Sarge.

Don't worry about asking dumb questions, we have all been in your shoes at one time or another and you can't find the answer if you don't first ask the question.

If your vet does not think anything is wrong, all his tests came back normal, he is eating and playing well then I wouldn't worry about it. I cannot know what kind of noises he makes unless I hear it but they all make different noises and sounds and I would imagine what you are hearing is normal for him.

What you are hearing may very well be his version of growling, maybe he doesn't want to be picked up or held close but I would take the growling any day to being bit.

For lots more information do read thru the many threads here and do ask questions and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have any pictures of Sarge you would like to share with us we would love to see him.

Welome JustSarge!!

In addition to growling, which truly sounds like a growl. He may be displaying sexual excitement also in which they drop their wings a little, pant, make starnge sounds as your describing and if left ignored or you take your hands away and stop any stroking or petting, they will stop the sexual display behaviour.

Links to growlng sounds, one of a CAG and one of a TAG:

TAG - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77doWbTyeow

CAG -

Looking forward to hearing more from you and seeing some photos when you get a chance. :-)

Hello JustSarge and welcome here. Glad you could join us. Sounds like your bird is making a noise to communicate with you- you've done everything right by taking him to the vet and all the tests showed he was fine. I wouldn't worry about this sound unless you see signs of illness, then another vet trip to an avian vet may be warranted.