NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice Needed

My name is Taisha. I have a 9yr. old Congo Grey. He is very hard to care for because he is mean. I can feed him but he will bite without warning. Hell let me put him back on his cage when he flies off but sometimes he will put his foot on my hand and bite me very hard. He will bang on the bars of his cage and keep doing it till he gets attention from me. He gets plenty of attention and when I try to offer him toys he either ignores them or is afraid of them. I could really use some advice because I am considering finding him a new home.

Hello Taisha,

You started another thread regarding the same biting issue and did not respond to the answers some gave.

First lets start with some background on your 9yr old Grey.

1. How long have you had him?

2. Why did the other people give him up?

3. Did you do any research before taking in this Grey?

4. Have you owned Parrots before?

If he is new to your home, he will not immediately warm up to you or anyone else. he is in a new home, maybe new cage, new people, new everything....

It can take weeks or months for a Grey that old to become what you may consider or hoped for, which is a secure, loving and properly trained Grey you can interact with at some level.

This is all based upon how much baggage he has come to this new home with and if he was previously abused or not.

Give him, time,patience and a lot love. Let him com to you on his terms. The cage is his home and he is protective of it when in it or on it and you will need to heed this and also watch his body to know a bite is coming before it happens.

If he is just recently rescued by you and your first inclination is to just get rid of him, then perhaps that may be the best idea and ensure you give him to a good rescue that will find him a good and loving experienced Parrot forever home. I say this with all the best intentions both for you and your Grey. :-)