NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

molting??

Raiderbabe

Hey everyone! I was watching Malibu last night and noticed that he was really pulling on one of his tail feathers. Well, I woke up this morning and the feather is on the bottom of his cage. Actually my worst nightmare:ohmy: This is my first bird so I really don't know what to expect. There was no blood from it except a pin size on the very tip of it. My breeder seems to think he is going through his first molt. He is 7 months old. Can anyone help me? It actually looks like another tail feather is ready to come out. What can I expect? Does this sound normal? What can I do to help? Please help me I'm soo nervous and don't know what to expect! THanks everyone!

Stop being so nervous. You're gonna give me a heart attack. Greys will periodically pull out 1 or 2 tail feathers during the year but there's no set time in that year in which they'll do that. The same exact thing applies to their flight feathers ( longest feathers of wing area). Normally, when there's trouble in the tail area, the bird usually chews off the feather, not pull them out. You may see 1 or 2 more during the next few days. Another reason that the tail feathers are looened has to do with the bird rubbing it's preening gland very intensely. The first place the top of the beak hits is the tail feather area and that action sometimes loosens a tail feather and the bird pulls it out. So, go and have a hot chocolate and relax and calm down.

It is molting season for the Greys and other parrots it seems. Most parrot owners (myself included) are watching as feathers are collecting in the cage pans and around the house where they sit and preen. So, expect to start seeing more feathers. :-)

AND - We don't want Dave to have the BIG ONE, so chill a little. I know your a first mommy and just being responsible. ;-) You know Dave takes everything VERY seriously ;-) and never jokes about anything ;-) :P<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/11/20 15:23

Yes its definetely molting time.

My middle grey has just started his first molt and I am finding a selection of feathers at the moment!

It can be alarming though when you find them, especially if its the first time you have seen your bird go through a molt.

Caroline.