NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Climbing down onto floor normal?

thecoffeesnob

Hi guys,

Coco's slightly under a year old at 11 months. He has tons of toys, get lots of affections from the family and seems really happy- he's whistling and singing all the time.

In the last couple of months, he has developed a peculiar habit of climbing down from his cage onto his floor and walking towards me whenever i'm in close proximity to his cage. It happens most mornings after i've greeted him, fed him his breakfast, chatted and stroked him a little. I would sit to have my breakfast while reading the papers and the next thing i know, he's at my feet, with his beak resting on my feet, head tilted down waiting for me to stroke him.

Is this normal? And is it an indication i should be doing something different? I read that African Greys generally don't like being on the floor but Coco seems to be the exception. Thanks so much for your help guys!

Gryphon does it when he wants something I have. I try to discourage it, but I read since that they are frequent ground feeders, so maybe it is instinctive.

There are much better experts than I'll ever be on this board, but I can say you are not alone! :)

Awww, Coco just wants to be with you and where the action is. :-) Walking on the floor is perfectly normal. The only exception to that is if they feel unsafe there due to other critters like dogs or cats.

As Gryphon pointed out, they do feed on the ground as most all bird do.

You are doing absolutely nothing wrong. :-)

My guess is that he is a clipped bird. If he was not clipped he would fly to you if he could. Misty used to do this before his flights grew back. Greys do like to forage on the ground in the wild but they do it in groups and with sentinel birds on the look out. Your bird is behaving perfectly normally and he walks to you because he loves you. As long as there is no risk from dogs or cats he will be fine. Obviously you will have to take care where you step!

:)

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2008/11/18 15:31

Mika at about 6 months old decided to start climbing down his cage, and sliding down the legs to come find me. While I loved the idea that he wanted to be with me so much I was afraid that either I would step back on him or there would be a problem with the dog or cat:pinch: Dave gave me so very good advise and that was just pick him up and keep returning him back to were ever he had been (very straight forward) and a firm no. After do this for about 5-6 times a day over a week, Mika got so smart that if he new I was coming he would try very hard to scramble back up before I got there. Keeping this up for another few days, and he was over it. The sliding down just stopped but it did take the better part of almost 2 weeks, I just believe you have to be on top of it everytime it happens and they get the point, then they try again, then just give up trying and learn you will not accept this behavior. (even thought you still think it is sweet) but don't let then no this:woohoo:

Hope this helps, Dave's advise has never let me down yet.

Carolyn & Mika

Mistyparrot- Coco is a clipped bird. We can't risk having him fly about as we leave the doors leading to the garden open all the time for ventilation. We used to have Japanese chickens in the garden and Coco reminds me exactly of them when he walks towards me. He even clicks his tongue as he approaches to let me know he's near.

Carolyn- Coco scrambles to get on his cage too the second he senses that i'm approaching him to put him back on. But he's a stubborn one, that one- he waits to see if i'm watching him and how i react before deciding if he should climb all the way up or test his luck and climb back onto the floor. It absolutely melts my heart that he wants to be close to me but i have to try your technique of being firm about putting him back on.

Thanks so much for the responses, guys. It's so reassuring to know that his behaviour's normal and that he just wants to be with me :cheer: